New GPU in laptop, boot won't go past the BIOS/motherboard boot screen.

I have a MSI Force 1761 notebook running on a sandy bridge processor and I tried installing a brand new Dell GTX 765m. When I start it up, it goes to the BIOS/Motherboard boot screen as normal, but the logo and boot options are all smaller as if someone raised the screen revolution. I thought it wasn't a big deal, but after a unusually long amount of time on that screen, the screen went black. There wasn't a backlight, the screen had turned off, yet the computer was still running. Getting into safe mode is impossible, pressing any of the boot option keys do nothing.

Additionally, I had 3 people tell me that it was compatible with my computer, so I am a bit confused. I understand the whole Kepler with sandy bridge issue, but these guys cleared it with that in mind.

Thanks for any help!

Can you get into the bios? Respectively can you somehow boot into DOS? A vbios dump would be interesting. Or do you happen to know the version?

Also make sure that you have legacy boot enabled, and not uefi secure boot / fast boot, i.e. uefi boot in general. Many MSI systems don't seem to properly support certain of those features, especially when it comes to the GPU.

Do you have the latest bios on your system?

@SvI7- no I can't get into the BIOS at all. The MSI logo screen shows, but all options are frozen. The 765m's VBIOs version is 80.06.61.00.01, however, that is all the information I got on it seeing as I can't do squat with the computer. I'll check the boot options you talked about, but the computer runs on AMI Aptio E1761IMS.10H, the latest version...which is from Nov. 2011. I tried flashing an unlocked version of the BIOS by Xonar, but got the "ROM file ROMID is not compatible" or something along those lines. I want to say that it might have to do with the card's VBIOS being all set up for a Dell alienware, so maybe if I can find someone with an alienware they can mod the VBIOS, but then again, I'm not a computer genius.

Thanks guys

Can you post a link to the bios version that you use?

E1761IMS .10H

It's an AMI bios

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT780DX-GT780DXR-.html#/?div=BIOS&nbos=non-win 8

- - - Updated - - -

Your computer doesn't have UEFI so there's nothing like that enabled. I think the dell card won't work I'm afraid, a member on the forum tried a dell gtx 770m in the same machine and he had the same problem as you, he flashed a Clevo and a MSI VBIOS on it but it still didn't work.

He then bought a Clevo 770m and it worked.

Could you get a hold on a Clevo 765m?

I wish haha. all I find when I type in clevo 765m on ebay or google is a bunch of laptops that I assume have it, but I would need it individually. Is it true that small PC repair places can order them wholesale? I read that somewhere.

E1761IMS .10H

It's an AMI bios

- - - Updated - - -

I wish haha. all I find when I type in clevo 765m on ebay or google is a bunch of laptops that I assume have it, but I would need it individually. Is it true that small PC repair places can order them wholesale? I read that somewhere.

I can't fins any info if it's a Clevo card or not..

Clevo P15XSM P17XSM VGA Upgrade Kit NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2GB DDR5 MXM 3 0B | eBay