i7 2920xm ES on clevo P150hm

EMC

Hi guys,

It's been several months since I've bought my i7 2920xm ES

and after a lot of experimental BIOS sent by Prema, there's

still some issues. Even TDP setting to 90/95W, my cpu still

hits a barrier at 80W and my multis, stop at 37/38x.

Someone has a i7 extreme ES running a clevo P1x0HM?

Thank you in advance!

Aren't the ES series not supported in these machines? I know you can use them, but it's a little bit more difficult to make sure they work as well as the common chips most others might have.

With a proper BIOS ES CPUs should work completely fine. The problem is clevo does not use a proper BIOS. This is fixed on the EM series with fiddling with the microcode update region, but it seems that the fix for HM has not been found yet.

Maybe your VRM is overheating? EM laptops top out around 85W to the CPU before VRM overheating is an issue, and the EM has better VRM cooling than the HM. If you properly get over 4ghz at first but it drops off after 20s or so this sounds like a VRM overheat issue. In the PMs we had you never really described your issue in detail.

I also had to heavily modify my cooling to make 85W sustainable. Before mods it could only do around 65W. Several tests like AVX enabled Prime95 will draw over 95W and the laptop will always drop down to around 3.8ghz for me no matter how high my TDP is, but anything under 95W will always run at whatever I have set (usually 4.3ghz).

I can't pass 3.9Ghz on 4 cores at any time...

After some seconds, it falls to 3.7Ghz.

Below this clocks, it is full stable (37x, 36x,...)

About a cooling mod, a third cooler could be added in the cpu region.

I'm not about cutting the backplate ...

It seems quite simple to measure some distances(bolts and higher spots) and draw a CAD of a

functional backplate in order to print it on a 3D printer.