m17x-r3 charger problem

• Founder

hey guys, wondering if you saw that behavior on yours too, here's what happens:

the charger is working perfectly fine if it's plugged in when I turn the laptop on.

the problem begins when I try to connect the charger to a working laptop- the blue light on the charger turns off once it's connected and every 5 seconds or so it would turn on for a second and then dim back to off and the computer won't charge (battery indicator shows battery power).

the only way to start charging is to put the computer to sleep/turn off, then connect the charger and turn the comp on and it will start charging..

What the hell? :)

it seems as though the charger doesn't have enough juice to start charging a powered on laptop.

• Founder

That didn't happen to the R3 that I had before so you probably need a new charger man..bummer. Least Dell will give you a new one through NBD.

P.S. hop on gmail talk.

hey guys, wondering if you saw that behavior on yours too, here's what happens:

the charger is working perfectly fine if it's plugged in when I turn the laptop on.

the problem begins when I try to connect the charger to a working laptop- the blue light on the charger turns off once it's connected and every 5 seconds or so it would turn on for a second and then dim back to off and the computer won't charge (battery indicator shows battery power).

the only way to start charging is to put the computer to sleep/turn off, then connect the charger and turn the comp on and it will start charging..

What the hell? :)

it seems as though the charger doesn't have enough juice to start charging a powered on laptop.

Bummer i'm sorry to hear that Michael. I hope you can get a replacement adapter quickly.

• Founder

updates :

first of all tomorrow a tech will come with a new adapter to try it out.

second, i found out that if i keep it plugged in long enough it will eventually start charging again but it can take up to 5 minutes.

Hmmm sounds to me like the polling rate of some sort related to the charging method. I do remember a slight delay on my R2 when I plugged it back in but it wasn't easily repeatable.