SSD install and moving user dir

DanXbix

Bought myself a Vertex 120gb SSD today and having trouble mklink user dir to storage drive.

SSD has been installed in drive 1 near battery but for some reason in diskpart it shows as disk 1 and HDD is disk 0

When in window repair cmd recovery HDD (disk0) is showing as C: and windows(SSD) as D:

If I run mklink d:\User c:\User /j when windows boot it keeps stating cannot load profile

Any help would be great :)

before win install (shift f10 cmd) i ran diskpart to create partition on SSD so i didn't have the 100mb sys partition. So now i have SSD - system HDD - Primary

I didn't use "" when doing mklink so will try again now.

when reinstalling windows is a diskpart quick format ok for ssd or is there another tool i should use?

been following guide in SS

1. Booted with windows 7 Media, chose repair windows

2. choose command prompt

3. copy users to hdd (C:\ (SSD) drive became D:\ and C:\ Storage HDD)) robocopy "D:\Users" "C:\Users" /mir /xj /e

4. rmdir D:\users /Q /S (you might want to just rename it in case there are porblems)

5. mklink /J D:\users C:\users (C:\ (SSD) drive became D:\ and C:\ Storage HDD)

restart and you should see your users directory on the data drive

after restart windows loads to login screen stating "load profile or something" gets stuck there.

After yet another install after all the steps windows boots to login screen so i type in password

"The User Profile Service service failed the logon."

User profile cannot be loaded

arghhh

Edited by DanXbix

• Founder

those writes are too low, I will suggest something but I am sure you won't like it, you can secure erase the disk in order to restore the factory performance. If that doesn't restore performance then we will check for the drivers and if by installing the latest Intel drivers doesn't do anything either then you need to RMA the SSD.

Brand new and they are the results!! Taking it back tomorrow! The local pc shop has taken all stock off the shelf as 2 more of the same model were yielding the same results. Should I just get a vertex 3 (ready for m18x upgrade) instead or another brand.

Thanks dude

• Founder
Brand new and they are the results!! Taking it back tomorrow! The local pc shop has taken all stock off the shelf as 2 more of the same model were yielding the same results. Should I just get a vertex 3 (ready for m18x upgrade) instead or another brand.

Thanks dude

This is why I avoided OCZ for my SSD purchase. Too many reports of their drives being unreliable and I need something rock solid for my system. Intel seems to be the most stable one and since their 320 series uses an Intel controller, I stuck with them. If I was in your shoes, I'd return the OCZ and get a 300 GB Intel 320 series drive.

i can second that, been using intel for over a year now, been solid as a rock for me. just recently got the 320 series myself and looks good so far. the gen 2 is great too and will provide similar performance. here is the side by side of my 2 drives: haven't done any mods or tweak to it yet.

post-100-14494987912402_thumb.jpg

So any SSD recomended that has Sata3 for a theoretical 6gb/s interface? I heard Intel 510 suffers from lower random writes than their previous line up?

• Founder
So any SSD recomended that has Sata3 for a theoretical 6gb/s interface? I heard Intel 510 suffers from lower random writes than their previous line up?

You can also take a look at the C300 and C400 that support sata 3

• Thumbs Up 1