3612QM vs 3632QM -> 170 vs 230 euros

jester_socom

What would you guys pick?

3612QM 2.1-3.1ghz for €170 = 240USD

3632QM 2.2-3.2ghz for €230 = 300USD

Is that 0.1 really worth 50 euros? lol

Knowing the 3632QM is the real limit this motherboard can handle being a 35W mobo.

Maybe I should take the 3612QM also being easier on the mosfets/VRMs?

Between 50 Euros and just .1ghz, I would just say get the 3612QM. The .1ghz won't make a realistic day too day difference and if you ever needed to boost it a little, while troublesome, you could unlock the bios and go from there. There should be only a little difference between the 2, since the 3612QM is already pushing limits that can explain the huge jump in price with the 3632QM.

Hope that helped.

Get the cheaper one.

Apparently the 3612QM at 170 was the BGA version. PGA was also prices 230 euros.

I found the cheapest CPUs at Wholesale - Buy China Wholesale Products from Chinese Wholesalers on DHgate.com or ebay

I also ordered PK-1 thermal paste. (5g)

- - - Updated - - -

Between 50 Euros and just .1ghz, I would just say get the 3612QM. The .1ghz won't make a realistic day too day difference and if you ever needed to boost it a little, while troublesome, you could unlock the bios and go from there. There should be only a little difference between the 2, since the 3612QM is already pushing limits that can explain the huge jump in price with the 3632QM.

Hope that helped.

I am really wondering what longterm effect is of the 3632QM being so close to the limit. I will take a picture of my VRMs and mosfets. Temps should be equal to 3210M hopefully

I see. However, I wouldn't go to any wholesale sites...Ebay is already bad enough but still doable. Anything from a wholesale site is cheap, usually unlegit, etc. With such a purchase as a laptop CPU, I would infact spend the extra 50 euros to play it safe unless the seller at Ebay is not a trusted one.

You can try to play around the 3632QM by maybe underclocking it a bit and trying to down the voltage somewhat. Since your upgrading from an i5-3210M, and by your posts, I assume you own a Lenevo y500 or y580? I recently got the SLI y500 myself and yet to have unlock the bios and such. If I were you, as I will later upgrade the CPU myself, What I would do is underclock it and down-volt it just a bit to work around the limits. Also make sure you have good airflow and cooling. Once everything works stable, at that point you can try going up the spectrum. Don't expect the VRM's or mosfets to last as long as with the 3210M though.

Hope to see how things go! I plan on doing this myself! I'm curious as to how it works out for you. P.S. Its good you chose a good thermal paste for a laptop, spreads well and shouldn't be a hassle.

I see. However, I wouldn't go to any wholesale sites...Ebay is already bad enough but still doable. Anything from a wholesale site is cheap, usually unlegit, etc. With such a purchase as a laptop CPU, I would infact spend the extra 50 euros to play it safe unless the seller at Ebay is not a trusted one.

You can try to play around the 3632QM by maybe underclocking it a bit and trying to down the voltage somewhat. Since your upgrading from an i5-3210M, and by your posts, I assume you own a Lenevo y500 or y580? I recently got the SLI y500 myself and yet to have unlock the bios and such. If I were you, as I will later upgrade the CPU myself, What I would do is underclock it and down-volt it just a bit to work around the limits. Also make sure you have good airflow and cooling. Once everything works stable, at that point you can try going up the spectrum. Don't expect the VRM's or mosfets to last as long as with the 3210M though.

Hope to see how things go! I plan on doing this myself! I'm curious as to how it works out for you. P.S. Its good you chose a good thermal paste for a laptop, spreads well and shouldn't be a hassle.

Which CPU you gonna get for upgrade?