Bifnewman's M17x-R2

Guest bifnewman

• Founder

Does it bsod or turn off? Does it happen in BIOS or only in windows? Does it happen when plugged in without battery ?

Depending on ur answers it could be a faulty battery/the accelerometer driver/bad contact on the mobo

Guest bifnewman

It works fine now. I think it was a problem with the battery because it was happening in BIOS too. Whether the HDs are in or not doesn't seem to make a difference. It's running perfectly now. It's wierd though, yesterday I thought the motherboard was dead and now its running fine. What the hell? Dell promised me an email about a replacement and I didn't get one. I don't think I should call in now, though. I am worried about the stability of the laptop. I will see how it runs for a couple days.

Guest bifnewman

I was wrong about the running perfectly thing. It still turns off, just rarely. I shut the lid and carried it up stairs and it turned off. lol. I just got an email notification that they sent out a refurb. What should I do? Should I reject the shipment and ask for a refund? I feel this could be dangerous because I may not get offered anything if I reject what they are giving me. Also, I haven't told them that the M17x started working again. Should I tell them or what? I mean I like my M17x but if I can get a nice refund that would probably end up with a laptop with much superior specs. Especially since I don't have RGB LED.

Guest bifnewman

Hey guys,

I picked up my refurb from Fedex because it needed a signature but I managed to catch the guy before he left for Fedex. I am still in shock. The M17x I got was fully loaded.

Original Specs:

Core i7 620M Dual-Core | 4GB DDR3 | 250GB 7200RPM | 900p Screen | DVD Drive | Dual 5870's

Refurb Specs:

Core i7 940XM | 8GB DDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM | Blu-Ray Drive | 1920x1200 RGB LED Screen | Dual 5870's

That is a huge jump from my original system. At the cost of two little spots of missing paint, I'll take the refurb, lol. I am going to paint over the chipped parts with the same space black so it looks good as new. I am so happy! The only thing I am still being bugged constantly by a friend about is an SSD. He says that I have to get one. I should be buying one right after my birthday (June 26th). How do I transfer my warranty over to the new service tag?

Guest bifnewman

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any advice for removing keyboard flex? Also, my '3' key doesn't even work half the time. Most of the time I have to press it twice to get it to recognize the keypress. Is there a way to fix this?

Guest bifnewman

i am downloading 3dmark vantage and 3dmark11 to do some benching (finally)... really need some help with the keyboard thing though, its bugging me. gonna do some normal benches and then some overclocks.

Guest bifnewman

Yes, i've tried that. I'll just get them to send me a new one and I'll install it myself. Are there any tips to avoid flex when installing the keyboard?