negative throttling on GPU while benchmarking?

Uberperson

Quick question, when I run MSI Kombuster or Furmark next to the throttling status it says "-653". Does this mean it is throttling it down that much, or is it throttling up(like overclocking iitself). This is while plugged in at full battery.

Thanks,

I get that in FurMark-like tests too. Doesn't seem like the GPU is throttling because it's still heating up quite substantially, but it's possible because Nvidia and AMD specifically throttle back the GPU in those tests to prevent the GPU from exceeding TDP and voltage limits and burning out the VRM for example. Many a graphics card, especially the hot and hungry early Fermi ones, died a fiery death this way before Nvidia implemented this throttling mechanism. If you want your GPU to last long I'd recommend against running FurMark-like tests on a regular basis.