Indigo Xtreme on a laptop?

I'm tired of thermal pastes drying out on me. I'll get good performance at first, but then the paste starts drying out and temps start going up 3-5C. shin-itsu would start drying out after a month, and PK-1 after 3 days (although the PK-1 beat the shin-itsu substantially before drying out and tied it while dried out). AS5 dried out too bad when I tried it years ago so I'm under the impression that pretty much any paste will dry out, so I figure I'll try something that's not a paste. There's also the plus of it outperforming everything else. I am just 2-3C away from being able to run BF3 with the CPU fan on medium at a constant 4.3GHz and I think that if I get indigo to work then I'll get that 3C if not more.

So indigo xtreme is designed for each individual socket for desktop systems. Installation is to place the thing on the IHS, then seal it on the motherboard. Clevos have a fairly high surface area heatsink, so I think it may be possible to apply and seal on the heatsink. I don't see why applying it to a heatsink instead of an IHS would make a difference.

So does anyone here have experience with indigo xtreme? Do you think there's a chance of being able to apply it properly to a laptop?

I really really thought hard about it, but decided against for the fact I'm always tinkering and removing heat sink which would mean a new application would be needed each time. Too expensive!

Other pastes were just not up to the task so I'm using coollaboratory liquid ultra. Just as good and removing heat sinks doesn't require new application,just a tidy up of the liquid metal with the brush,evening it out.

Around 4c better than normal paste for me on my CPU 3930k and sli 680m.

I really really thought hard about it, but decided against for the fact I'm always tinkering and removing heat sink which would mean a new application would be needed each time. Too expensive!

Other pastes were just not up to the task so I'm using coollaboratory liquid ultra. Just as good and removing heat sinks doesn't require new application,just a tidy up of the liquid metal with the brush,evening it out.

Around 4c better than normal paste for me on my CPU 3930k and sli 680m.

OK I'll look into that. I thought about that stuff but I never saw someone try it on a raw processor die, but you did with the 680ms so it looks like it's OK.

I also thought of indigo since it would discourage me from taking the heatsink off and wasting time messing with the laptop, but not sending $9.50 down the drain each HS removal is nice.

Update:

Just ordered liquid ultra. It looks like people who didn't have good results with it either got a bad tube or applied it wrong (used the q-tip).

Its not the easiest thing to apply in the world tbh, takes patience. Yeah I researched hard B4 applying to gpu but it works great. Brush is slower but deffo better than ear buds, some cotton material could easily come off the buds into the metal.

Thin layer on both heat sink and gpu/CPU works best, thin enough so there's no pool of metal but not too thin, as its very liquidy. I've put too much before where it pooled but it never escapes and drips out so don't worry. A lot of people are very scared of it, understandable, u do need to be careful with it.

I've used it a lot on desk tops and lappys and love it. Pro dries out over time but ultra stays liquid. It does pain your surfaces though, especially copper and it'll need serious buffing to remove its very very thin residue for all of it to come off

The liquid ultra stuff arrived. Wow this stuff is amazing. My 1st mount blows my best PK-1 mounts away. I actually see 50s for a bit now when putting the CPU under load.

Yeah, I was surprised as well, put some on my 920xm a couple of days... I messed up the first time, but the second time the temps improved greatly.

Put the rest on my 3930k yesterday, but somehow messed up, so I ended up with MX-4 in the end. Pricey stuff though, especially for desktop application.

Yeah, I was surprised as well, put some on my 920xm a couple of days... I messed up the first time, but the second time the temps improved greatly.

Put the rest on my 3930k yesterday, but somehow messed up, so I ended up with MX-4 in the end. Pricey stuff though, especially for desktop application.

I did both my CPU and 680m and I still have a ton left over. This stuff can be spread extremely thin. Coating an IHS though for the 3930k probably took a lot though.

I'm glad to see more converts! People really shouldn't be so scared of the stuff, yes its metal and can short your system if you're not careful, blah, blah. Just be careful. I use it for everything

Coollaboratory just need to make a third generation one that had a slightly thicker consistency, that'd work even better I think, it is a bit on the too thin side

I'm glad to see more converts! People really shouldn't be so scared of the stuff, yes its metal and can short your system if you're not careful, blah, blah. Just be careful. I use it for everything

Coollaboratory just need to make a third generation one that had a slightly thicker consistency, that'd work even better I think, it is a bit on the too thin side

Why do you think it's too thin? I feel like that would make it not spread as well so you end up with more paste between the die and heatsink. In a perfect world the heatsink and die would be perfectly flat so that thermal paste could only hurt temps.

And wow 680m only hit 63C @954MHz after an hour of BF3. Room temp was 20C. Fans were on high, but still impressive. It looks like I dropped 5C from the 680m and 3C from the CPU compared to PK-1 before it dried out. Temps look 10C better compared to dried out PK-1 temps. The GPU temps improved a bit more since I also raised the pressure. Paste was ending up a bit thick on one end of the die. The 680m now has no jump at all when going from idle to load. It just slowly climbs like it should.

Looks like it's time now to order a 330W PSU to run more volts.

The way I applied it was I put a small drop in the middle of the die, then I put some pressure on the brush so that the bristles flattened out, allowing me to spread the paste over the whole die very easily. This stuff is much easier to spread than any other thermal paste. After reading that you may be thinking, "Well the dot method is likely easier", but I would not get as good results with that method as spreading paste myself. Too much paste would permanently stay in the middle of the die.

Personally I wouldn't put that liquid metal shit anywhere near my components. You got balls for doing it on a 3930K @svl7 @Khenglish I've found ICD-7 lasts quite a while but the down side is it scratches dies.

I've gotten die scratches from shin-itsu and pk-1. I did have ICD once and it also added scratches. My CPU die is a mess. Luckily none of the scratches were deep enough to hit the substrate ground layer so it still works fine. You can probably knock a few degrees off CPU temps by sanding/polishing off the protective layer which is likely SiO2, which is very poor at conducting heat. Obviously sanding too deep is very bad though :). I'm surprised I haven't heard of LN2 or liquid helium guys trying it. I would not be surprised if it made a 10C+ difference at the 300W or so that their CPUs pull.

Also this is the third post that I've done where the page goes blank after submitting, then when going back to the thread I find an update of my post containing my entire post.

• Founder
I've gotten die scratches from shin-itsu and pk-1. I did have ICD once and it also added scratches. My CPU die is a mess. Luckily none of the scratches were deep enough to hit the substrate ground layer so it still works fine. You can probably knock a few degrees off CPU temps by sanding/polishing off the protective layer which is likely SiO2, which is very poor at conducting heat. Obviously sanding too deep is very bad though :). I'm surprised I haven't heard of LN2 or liquid helium guys trying it. I would not be surprised if it made a 10C+ difference at the 300W or so that their CPUs pull.

Also this is the third post that I've done where the page goes blank after submitting, then when going back to the thread I find an update of my post containing my entire post.

Do you have adblocker on? Maybe that's the cause. It hasn't gone blank for me at all.

• Founder

I've been seeing a similar behavior with Tapatalk. Might be a bug in the latest 4.2.1 vb version. We will need to investigate further.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...
I'm tired of thermal pastes drying out on me. I'll get good performance at first, but then the paste starts drying out and temps start going up 3-5C. shin-itsu would start drying out after a month, and PK-1 after 3 days (although the PK-1 beat the shin-itsu substantially before drying out and tied it while dried out). AS5 dried out too bad when I tried it years ago so I'm under the impression that pretty much any paste will dry out, so I figure I'll try something that's not a paste. There's also the plus of it outperforming everything else. I am just 2-3C away from being able to run BF3 with the CPU fan on medium at a constant 4.3GHz and I think that if I get indigo to work then I'll get that 3C if not more.

So indigo xtreme is designed for each individual socket for desktop systems. Installation is to place the thing on the IHS, then seal it on the motherboard. Clevos have a fairly high surface area heatsink, so I think it may be possible to apply and seal on the heatsink. I don't see why applying it to a heatsink instead of an IHS would make a difference.

So does anyone here have experience with indigo xtreme? Do you think there's a chance of being able to apply it properly to a laptop?

use thermal pad maybe it has more lifetime than paste for my past experiences and works better than thermal pastes in notebooks as long as you dont use shim