Rapid Storage Technology causing issues on Y500

radicalatheart

When I received my laptop it came with Rapid Storage Technology installed. Everytime I install it my harddrive seems to stall or to freeze. When I do not install it I don't have any issues.

Is this a hardware issue or software? Because that very same Rapid Storage Technology version works well on any other computer I have tried.

When I received my laptop it came with Rapid Storage Technology installed. Everytime I install it my harddrive seems to stall or to freeze. When I do not install it I don't have any issues.

Is this a hardware issue or software? Because that very same Rapid Storage Technology version works well on any other computer I have tried.

The Intel Rapid Storage does not work on the Y500, as the Y500 does not support RAID setup from the BIOs.

In order to use the mSATA caching, you need to use Expresscache provided on the Lenovo site.

Need a little more info. Did you uninstall it to install an updated version? Or did you do a clean install of Windows and are in need of installing the driver again?

First thing I did when I got my Y500 was create a UEFI bootable Windows 8 USB drive and did a clean install of Windows on an SSD and to remove all the bloatware and outdated drivers on the lappy. Mine came with BIOS v2.00. I had already downloaded all the newest intel drivers but I have never had any issues with the Intel RST software.

- - - Updated - - -

The Intel Rapid Storage does not work on the Y500, as the Y500 does not support RAID setup from the BIOs.

In order to use the mSATA caching, you need to use Expresscache provided on the Lenovo site.

The expresscache you mentioned is correct if what he is doing is using the mSATA and the HDD. I didnt get that from his post. As for the IRST drivers, they provide an alternate AHCI driver that is also useful on single drive systems:

"Intel Rapid Storage Technology provides benefits to users of single drives as well. Through AHCI, storage performance is improved with Native Command Queuing (NCQ). AHCI also delivers longer battery life with Link Power Management (LPM), which can reduce the power consumption of the chipset and Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive."

Need a little more info. Did you uninstall it to install an updated version? Or did you do a clean install of Windows and are in need of installing the driver again?

First thing I did when I got my Y500 was create a UEFI bootable Windows 8 USB drive and did a clean install of Windows on an SSD and to remove all the bloatware and outdated drivers on the lappy. Mine came with BIOS v2.00. I had already downloaded all the newest intel drivers but I have never had any issues with the Intel RST software.

- - - Updated - - -

The expresscache you mentioned is correct if what he is doing is using the mSATA and the HDD. I didnt get that from his post. As for the IRST drivers, they provide an alternate AHCI driver that is also useful on single drive systems:

"Intel Rapid Storage Technology provides benefits to users of single drives as well. Through AHCI, storage performance is improved with Native Command Queuing (NCQ). AHCI also delivers longer battery life with Link Power Management (LPM), which can reduce the power consumption of the chipset and Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive."

Okay, gotcha, it wasn't really clear as to what he wanted, and when you edited your post it moved my response stating that back up!

Thanks!

Okay, gotcha, it wasn't really clear as to what he wanted, and when you edited your post it moved my response stating that back up!

Thanks!

No problem! We are both offering suggestions kinda blindly based on the loose info the OP provided ;)

I have been had this problem...but i managed to find the solution..as the people says our y500 is not supportable for IRST since its not a RAID type

What you need to do is

Just do a windows clean install...during this..delete every partition remains on ssd..

Dont create any new partition let it be unallocated...

After installing and booting into windows 8

Install expresscache software(available on lenovo site for thinkpads .it will be 7 mb)

It promos to reboot...

After booting into windows again...tadaaaaa!!!!

Ur ssd is in use for cache...partitions are automatically created..

Now u r done with express cache...if you want to see whether ur ssd is in use ornot

Type this command on command prmpt with administrator access permissions..

eccmd -info

• 5 weeks later...

I wanted to do a fresh install on my new y500 as soon as I unboxed it but now it has been nothing but a pain, the only thing that has worked to get the cache to work correctly was ExpressCache, doing the eccmd.exe -info shows that it is working however, just wish there was a GUI for me to view and see.

I wanted to do a fresh install on my new y500 as soon as I unboxed it but now it has been nothing but a pain, the only thing that has worked to get the cache to work correctly was ExpressCache, doing the eccmd.exe -info shows that it is working however, just wish there was a GUI for me to view and see.

If you bought the model with the 16GB SSD cache then ExpressCache is the only caching software that will work and that's why it's bundled. Intel Smart Response SSD caching doesn't work for this machine due to lack of hardware RAID support. Also, Rapid Storage Technology doesn't have anything to do SSD caching. It's basically the Intel hard drive controller drivers, so you should install it regardless of what drive configuration or hardware you are using.

• 4 months later...

I just installed a 128GB Crucial M4 in my computer with a fresh load of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and RST software installed perfectly. I am not sure if it is faster as I didn't do any speed tests before. I will say that my computer boots in about 10 seconds so somethings working pretty good :)