Y500 v2.02 BIOS unlock?

TheGarden

Is there any BIOS unlock that I can use for v2.02 at this time? I know there is a sticky for BIOS unlock on the Y500, but that is for v1.0x BIOSes, and I don't think I can downgrade due to the fact my machine was manufactured 3/13/13. Is there anyone who can help me out? I am sure someone like slv7 is working on one, but I'm not sure the status.

I don't believe there is a 2.02 unlock at this point. Are you planning on replacing the WiFi card?

Yes. Also, my BIOS has an issue with detecting any external bootable drives. For example, on the boot priority list, only HDD shows up and IPv4 and IPv6. USB and Disc drive never appear. This is keeping me from installing Ubuntu, something I'd very much like to use.

Usually you need to add the USB option, but the most simple thing to do is not going to the bios at all, just enter the boot menu at power on (F12 or another key).

Yes. Also, my BIOS has an issue with detecting any external bootable drives. For example, on the boot priority list, only HDD shows up and IPv4 and IPv6. USB and Disc drive never appear. This is keeping me from installing Ubuntu, something I'd very much like to use.

Sounds like you are in UEFI mode but whatever media you are trying to boot from is not UEFI-bootable. Try setting the BIOS in Legacy mode and see if your drive shows up on boot menu when you press F12.

Is there any BIOS unlock that I can use for v2.02 at this time? I know there is a sticky for BIOS unlock on the Y500, but that is for v1.0x BIOSes, and I don't think I can downgrade due to the fact my machine was manufactured 3/13/13. Is there anyone who can help me out? I am sure someone like slv7 is working on one, but I'm not sure the status.

There is currently a test unlocked BIOS mod that slv7 posted in the sticky thread. I suggest you check it out.