M17x Screen Upgrade

Guest bifnewman

Guest bifnewman

I just bought an M17x r2 from a user at NBR for $1250. It was an incredible deal that I couldn't pass up... As you can see from my sig, it has dual 5870's and just a 900p screen. I asked him why, and he said that he just used an external monitor all the time but I will probably be using the laptop LCD most of the time so I want to upgrade to the RGB LED screen. How should I approach this? He is transferring the warrantee to me as well. I believe if I replace any parts I should keep the originals because Dell won't take the laptop if there are different parts in it, right? Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm not afraid of opening the laptop up or anything as I will be getting more RAM, better hard drives and a 920xm sometime in the future.

Thanks.

• Founder

The Dell precision one won't work, it uses a different connector. Someone tried it before and failed. The one I linked via the ebay auction is the one you need. You don't have to buy anything else besides the panel since you have all the existing cables. But yeah I would have rather bought the 4870M xfire system and then upgraded the cards but either way you would have ended up spending more money. Hell I would have sold you my M17x-R2 with no warranty but RGB LED+ 5870M xfire for $1450.

• Founder
What should I sell it for? I get the laptop on Wednesday. What are the full specs of yours?

On eBay it should go for $1400-$1500. After fees you'll probably get back what you paid for it or slightly more. My system's got:

i7-720QM

8 GB RAM

5870M Xfire

RGB LED

500 GB HDD

Intel Wireless 6300

Blu Ray Rom

A lot better than the system you bought :) Just no warranty on it.

• Founder
Can I buy a complete care warrantee from Dell?

Not with my system, it was put together using spare parts from different systems and was never an official Dell system. It's a frankenstein system. You could probably get square trade warranty on it. You can PM me for further details.

• Founder

My RGB LED quality is very close to the Samsung HDTV I've got. Although overall the Samsung looks slightly better due to a higher contrast ratio and hardware filters.

i know right Brian, the main difference is a much higher brightness and contrast ratio on the Panasonic plasma w/ 600hz subfield drive (fancy way to say 60hz repeated 10 times a second.. so not 600 frames per second... 60 different frames repeated 10 times to give effect of better motion)... but the RGB still looks just as good. So the 120hz should stomp 600hz subfield drive.

• Founder

I own a Panasonic plasma (V20) and i can say with confidence that the plasma has a better picture than the RGBLED. RGBLED does have the punch with some colors, but if we're talking about correct color reproduction + black levels, the plasma takes the crown.

For a gamers laptop screen however, i do think that the RGB screen is better suited

Yeah I agree Michael, the Panasonic I have is great and does have a better picture, it is a Viera 50inch . The Contrast ratio is at least 2million to 1 and the RGB laptop screen must be about 600 to 1 like Brian said. The color on flesh tones is highly accurate. The TV even has a light sensor that adjusts the contrast and brightness automatically according to ambient lighting. I just miss my R2 I think, I did love the picture on it... from the comparison of the R3 and R2 screen, I liked the slight red shift it had and didn't like the R3 blueshift, you can adjust the picture to compensate but the picture shows that the White Tiger Brian pictured on both R2 and R3 shows how natural the RGB looks and that the WLED seems to have a unnatural blue tint... have any of you tried to match the colors of the WLED to RGB? What does it take to get the WLED to have a picture close to that of the RGB LED?

Edited by mw86

Guest bifnewman

Thank you, Dell rep.

post-190-14494987851996_thumb.jpg

This is seriously ridiculous. I just wanted to see if Dell's price has dropped since they probably want to get rid of them. Absolutely incredible that they don't know a damn thing about this. Even beyond that, the person took two minutes to make up something rather than look it up. They make the laptop, how hard could it possibly be to look it up?

• Founder

Well I doubt you will get a better price than eBay, you will spend your time on the phone just to satisfy your curiosity.

For me the 1200p and the RGB LED screen are some of the reasons that keep me from upgrading to the M18x and stick with the R2

Guest bifnewman

Yeah, that and the price lol... I'm not paying $900 over a 460m for dual 6970's... they also don't have the 32gb ram option. i wasnt going to buy that, but still what gives?

Guest bifnewman

Who makes the actual panel? Alienware? If not, then why don't people sell the panel instead of the actual kit?

• Founder
Thank you, Dell rep.

[ATTACH]602[/ATTACH]

This is seriously ridiculous. I just wanted to see if Dell's price has dropped since they probably want to get rid of them. Absolutely incredible that they don't know a damn thing about this. Even beyond that, the person took two minutes to make up something rather than look it up. They make the laptop, how hard could it possibly be to look it up?

Although the reason he gave was stupid, Dell no longer makes the RGB LED display for the M17x-R2 since that model has been discontinued. They still have inventory for repairs but officially in North America, R2 is done as is the RGB LED. The panel is made by Samsung specifically for Dell and isn't sold by Samsung directly to consumers or other 3rd parties.

Plainly put for a 17 inch laptop display it is very nice quality and ultra expensive if it wasn't sold to you in the Alienware to start with.