Non-Uniforum Keyboard illumination

Schaf

Hello folks,

I just received my Alienware m18x2 and noticed that the left side of the keyboard illumunation is kinda "weak" or not working properly compared to the rest of the lightning zones.

Is this a common issue with which I have to live, or is this simple a manufactory failure?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39145345/AW_Tastatur.jpg

Hey,

yes - I tried to change colors, test different zones and so on.

It seems like this problem only accours at the TactX keys and the 4th keyboard zone.

When I dimm the lightning zones (1-9) through the AlienFX, I do get almost the same intensity of light as the TactX Keys and the 4th keyboard zone.

Hey,

yes - I tried to change colors, test different zones and so on.

It seems like this problem only accours at the TactX keys and the 4th keyboard zone.

When I dimm the lightning zones (1-9) through the AlienFX, I do get almost the same intensity of light as the TactX Keys and the 4th keyboard zone.

I know that the TactX keys are separate from the keyboard, they are on their own. So their intensity may be separate from the keyboard's.

Hello,

the technician was here and just left 5 mins ago - he changed the display as the old one hat some dead pixels.

unfortunately the new display has also failures, some white spots.

I mentioned the keyboard illumuniaton and he called dell, they said "its usual that some spots on the keyboard are darker" .. pretty annoying if you're asking me.

Seems like dell is thinking I have plenty of free time and can spend that time waiting at home for some technician do fix ..

• Founder

I agree with @Michael don't waste any more of your time with tech support. Best bet is to return and re-order if you can handle the wait. But Dell is also partially correct, some keyboards do have zones that are brighter than the rest but if yours is significantly different in illumination and it bothers you enough, return an re-order.

Hello,

unfortunately I come from Austria - and I just saw that in the TOS its mentioned its only "7 days".

Usually due a law, its 14 days - but for some reason that are unknown to me, its 7 days.

Its just so annoying and frustrating .. I've spend so much money on this, they didnt even delivered it before christmas like they promised, and delayed the delivery 3 times.

If I hadn't contacted them, I wouldn't even have know that.

I'll try to talk dell, even when I don't know what to say - I kinda feel like unwanted whenever I call the woman from dell.

Thanks for your help guys.

"Unwanted" ? I kind of felt like I always talked to a person from slums in Mumbai. In the US they always (>99% of the time) connect you to their outsourced Indian call centers, even though that <1% of the time I got someone who spoke decent english he had very little clue about the product he was supposed to support.

Just call them and explain that the non-uniformity is way more than "normal", you have nothing to lose.

I think the only time i get native speakers from dell is when they call me at work trying to upsell ... from Ireland

As for the Keyboard i would say being that is is one of the standout features of an Alienware you can quite happily claim you are not happy with it as a return under warranty due to a fault ...

Terrible, horrible.. incompetent - only some words that describes dell, their products and even more their Service.

I've talked yesterday with my sales assisstant from dell from whom I ordered the Laptop, she made the promise to give me a call today, no matter what to clear everything up.

Guess what, this is the 3rd time she didn't call me - not that she also is lying on the phone always, but also breaking promises like giving me an important call on the next day.

Just horrible, how can this fit to a company like Dell - why do I have only problems?

This is the 3rd time an employee from dell is just ignoring me and my concerns.

I'm so mad, I'm angry, I'm frustrated .. and today was the last day for getting a refund, she promised me to give me call to clear everything up.

I really don't know what to do, this all is just like a terrifying nightmare.

The Laptop was a Christmas present for my girlfriend, not that they didn't deliver before christmas like promised, they also scheduled the delivery 4 times and didn't inform me about anything, I had always to call after some days for an update.

I even had to use the so promised free hotline that gave me in the end the costs of 20€

I had 2 technicians here, 2 broken displays, 1 broken DVD drive and.. and.. and.. one of the technicians didn't even know how to dissemble the laptop or how to assemble it again.

This all can't be true, I've spend so much money, I thought it would be save by buying from Dell...

You know what the scary part is? The other computer companies typically have even worse customer and tech support.

My memorable time was when I was ordering M11x-R1 over the phone and the Dell/AW sales guy tried to convince me that the cheaper CPU was actually a single core (it cost $100 less than the more expensive one and according to benchmarks they were identical in speed). I told him I have ark.intel.com open in my browser right now and I can see that SU4100 in fact has, as expected, two cores. :)

If this is your last day you should call and just talk to another customer rep.

Call them and keep calling and if need be get the matter elevated to a senior manager above the rep that made the sale .. At the end of the day consumer law is on your side it's faulty end of story ,

As for customer services it always just depends where they are i find that makes the difference the most we all have bad time's with them at some point like calling my bank i avoid it at all costs lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello,

thats the big problem - that actually was the last day.

Thats the reason why I asked her several times, to make sure that she will give me a call on the next day.

And thats the reason why I was freaking so out, because she didn't called me once, not even a single email.

I kept calling, calling and calling @ 7 PM, because I was afraid that she wouldn't call anymore, so I thought that I would do her job and call.

Guess what, her voice-mail was only answering... so I kept calling.. @ 7:20 PM it was finally ringing, no voice-mail ... I tried it for 20 more minutes.. nothing..

After that I tried to call the customer support, cause I was so mad, frustrated and was in panic cause this was the last day for getting a refund and she promised me to clear everything up and giving me a cal.

Guess what, the automated answering service came up and telling me that I'm calling out of their supporting times from 9am til 7pm.

I left her a message at the voicemail.. telling her that I'm super mad and very disappointed in dell, their products and service - also that I will write a mail to the executive board of my country. (In real I dont even know how I should write that mail and which address)