Best ram for R4

jackgarcia7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I personally just went with the stock samsung ram using 4*8GB it's a little more expensive than other brands but it's very stable here.

I tried the vengeance 1866 but I would often get a BSOD or a crash while using it, I believe the alienware motherboard is just not compatible with the ones I got, so in the end I switched back to Samsung and ordered more of it.

In terms of RAM speed & associated performance gain it has been proven in a few tech articles I've read that 1600Mhz is the sweet spot. You'll see some substantial gains up to 1600Mhz, and then performance gains start to trail off above that. So bothering to buy RAM that is more expensive than 1600Mhz might not be good bang for your buck & you could benefit by spending the difference elsewhere on your PC. But of course, it doesn't hurt to have faster RAM! Faster RAM than 1600Mhz really only benefits iGPU performance from what I have read, so if you have a dedicated graphics card, like we do in these Alienware, then it's a little pointless.

1600Mhz is the sweet spot because of the combined latency of CL9 (the lower the better). Faster speeds of ram are inversely proportional to CAS speeds for stability hence 2133Mhz having something like CL11 or CL12. I was fortunate enough to snag some 1866Mhz CL9 and have some 1600Mhz CL7 lying around somewhere.

1600Mhz is the sweet spot because of the combined latency of CL9 (the lower the better). Faster speeds of ram are inversely proportional to CAS speeds for stability hence 2133Mhz having something like CL11 or CL12. I was fortunate enough to snag some 1866Mhz CL9 and have some 1600Mhz CL7 lying around somewhere.

widezu69, off topic I want to thankyou for your Intel XTU & Throttlestop mod for removing TDP limits (notebook forums). After reading your instructive post I was able to run max turbo at 56W all day on my 2630QM. Thanks for that one! :-)