Poll: Should i cancel my m17x-R3 order and wait for the m18x ?

Michael

Should I cancel the M17x-R3 and wait for M18x ?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should I cancel the M17x-R3 and wait for M18x ?

• Yeah, cancel!
    • Forget that overpriced brick, stick with the M17x-R3!

Looks like a no go, P67 Express already supports 32 GB of ram: Introduction - ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution Motherboard Review | [H]ard|OCP

the aw tech seemed pretty sure (when offering to send the sticks this way for a try) that even HM67 can support 32GB (4DIMMS) if aw wanted to, and just found some other reseller w/an HM67 product currently doing that: firestormx77

3:27 a.m. EST and classes tmrw, so l8r for now - guess we'll all know (hopefully) soon enough!~ :D

Edited by vikingrinn

Then I wonder why ITX boards with two dimms only support a max of 8gb ram? I was told it was a chipset limitation. If there is no limitation, then we sould be able to get 16gb in a ITX board with 2 dimm slots.

Maybe the ITX boards can and I just got trolled by gigabyte and asus support?

They told me it was because of a bank per side limitation or some shit.

Ill have to research it more.

-Ash

16 lbs to heavy? i guess thats 2 gallons of milk... dang what a beast. but it has 3 hours plus of battery life!

ok vikingrinn i got a solution for you... quit going to the gym and buy an 18x, and get a body by alienware 18X bumpersticker.

good to go.

• Founder
16 lbs to heavy? i guess thats 2 gallons of milk... dang what a beast. but it has 3 hours plus of battery life!

ok vikingrinn i got a solution for you... quit going to the gym and buy an 18x, and get a body by alienware 18X bumpersticker.

good to go.

Funny thing is if you put your M18x in a backpack with the brick + accessories and lift the backpack a few times, it probably will build muscle.

lol, the gym comments are too ironic/funny since i just got done with an hour and a half there after a full day of classes!~ :P i guess maybe i was looking at the 16lbs comment all wrong, and could just get it and use it (M18x) as a substitute for some (small) weights!~ :D

so i take it that the (ineffective/boring, regardless of whomever it was...) speaker was somewhat wrong in the M18x weight reference? i need to seriously introduce them to some business/marketing students. i skipped out early from a lecture all jazzed to catch that live announcement stream, and not only were they late, but whoah!~ :rolleyes: the presentation is far from what i would have considered fitting for such an esteemed brand like alienware. they could've even teamed up with the crew of the engadget show or something of the like? :confused: afterall, the product line itself is xcellent and deserving of something a little better (at least on par quality wise with web presence) prepared, and of a much classier production overall... ;)

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder

That was Frank Azor and he's one of AWs big shots yet didn't know M18x's weight...sad. But yeah it's 12 lbs not 16. Even with dual gfx it shouldn't add more than 1.5 lbs.

Whoa! It's only 12 lbs? Damn now to cancel that bumper sticker order.....

I've changed my plans a little guys, seeing as release date isn't even out I thought I would take advantage ofthat 21 day return policy and receive the 17x should show in an hour or two.

Brian want me to do any benches on her? I got 2720qm 4gb ram and 6970.

If our systems have any different parts we can tell the difference in scores those parts make? Just an idea let me know.

Whoa! It's only 12 lbs? Damn now to cancel that bumper sticker order.....

I've changed my plans a little guys, seeing as release date isn't even out I thought I would take advantage ofthat 21 day return policy and receive the 17x should show in an hour or two.

Brian want me to do any benches on her? I got 2720qm 4gb ram and 6970.

If our systems have any different parts we can tell the difference in scores those parts make? Just an idea let me know.

I would do it for the sake of benching anyway, more data is alwatys better.

Well just hot her set up and doing some playing around. She is fast but good god she feels plasticy. That a word? And keyboard flex is pretty bad as well. Shogun two averaged 33 fps on ultra and x3tc 98fps average that's all I got too today so far. Will do vantage And 3dmark 11 tomorrow I think. My boss doesn't appreciate what appears to be games at work hehe.

Can't wait for the 18x. I don't care what it costs at this point my dreams won't come true without that creature lol

Well just hot her set up and doing some playing around. She is fast but good god she feels plasticy. That a word? And keyboard flex is pretty bad as well. Shogun two averaged 33 fps on ultra and x3tc 98fps average that's all I got too today so far. Will do vantage And 3dmark 11 tomorrow I think. My boss doesn't appreciate what appears to be games at work hehe.

Can't wait for the 18x. I don't care what it costs at this point my dreams won't come true without that creature lol

you must be missing the plate above the memory? (re: flex) strange, haven't really heard of any flex after the sb recall when they put that plate into use....?

and "plasticy" lol :P nope~ it's called 'soft touch', and unwitting geeks sometimes spend over $300 to have places like colorware apply it to their laptops, when alienware is giving it away with their new systems for free/no cost upgrade - sheesh, you just can't please some people, lol!~ :D:P:D:P

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder

I didn't know you would have to pay that much....

To be honest though, if they could offer the palm rest with aluminum and on the same color they use for the exterior (in my case silver) I would take it over the plastic one.

well i wont worry about it too much as ill be sending it back to the mother ship in a week to receive a new 18.4" aluminum ship with dual engines. =)

PS. cover plastic with plastic for 300 dollars? hmm ill have to think about this logically...

• Founder

Just to let you guys know, i opted for the R3 because portability is very important to me at this point in time.

I understand perferctly however all of you guys who return/cancel the R3 and order Avenger. Wish i could justify it to myself, but as much as i tried, i can't :)

• Thumbs Up 1

well i wont worry about it too much as ill be sending it back to the mother ship in a week to receive a new 18.4" aluminum ship with dual engines. =)

PS. cover plastic with plastic for 300 dollars? hmm ill have to think about this logically...

your machine upgraded with dual gpu's & aluminum should be a beast!~ :D

re: the "plastic" soft touch, just rechecked from (overpriced) colorware it's like... $500! :eek:

anywho, from audi to benz to chevy to ferrari to hummer to lamborghini - it's done on a regular basis without issue (when done properly), so why not? :P our dlp's and lcd's are all finished off with plastic in one way or another too (pretty much all our gadgets are, down to our smartphones), regardless of brand - no problems whatsoever with any plastics here. (it's not like breasts, where we can at least choose between the natural and artificial, lol!~ :P:D:P:D) in the end, whichever works in production to achieve desired form & function & cost - right?!?! ;)

Just to let you guys know, i opted for the R3 because portability is very important to me at this point in time.

I understand perferctly however all of you guys who return/cancel the R3 and order Avenger. Wish i could justify it to myself, but as much as i tried, i can't :)

you couldn't go wrong. in the end they'll be siblings w/same fundamental dna (at least for these revisions), manifested into smaller unit w/soft touch & single gpu or larger unit w/aluminum & dual gpu - both current standard bearers for their respective industry segments!~ :D

Edited by vikingrinn

Right on, my R2 is pretty heavy having it slightly more portable would have been pretty cool as I have brought it to my friends for gaming sessions. So a R3 would have been perfect for me for that purpose and it's probably much more comfortable on your lap then a hunk of aluminum. I'm excited for my Alienware, but I think it's great for anyone to be happy with their system. M18x(Desktop Replacement) M17xR3 (Portable & Light Powerhouse w/Comfort Palm Rest of Rubber (plastic doesn't make something cheap))

Edited by mw86