Poll: Should i cancel my m17x-R3 order and wait for the m18x ?

Michael

Should I cancel the M17x-R3 and wait for M18x ?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should I cancel the M17x-R3 and wait for M18x ?

• Yeah, cancel!
    • Forget that overpriced brick, stick with the M17x-R3!

• Founder
and don't forget the NX90... :facepalm:

aside from HDMI 1.4 being little more than gimmick, both have pros and cons and are ndeed somewhat different machines - although don't they fundamentally share the same bios? guess we'll have to wait for definitive answer on this until after the first units hit reviewers hands (aka you, brian!~ :P) then!~ :D

I don't think they will share the same bios. Since one system supports 2920xm, 32 gb ram and overclocking, the M18x bios likely has a lot of options the R3 lacks. I don't think Alienware is using bclk overclocking with SB either since that is retarded, most likely they unlocked the TDP/Multipliers to a degree. As long as there is no lockbit, an M18x bios + 2920xm + throttlestop = unstoppable.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll wait on the 2920xm till they drop a bit in price and pay off the 18x lol it will be my payoff gift to lol

I hope it's based off of the z68 would love to have the cake and eat it. Would make this monstrosity usable in the real world. Come on Dell!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Well the R3 has good portability which is one of it's strongest points. The M18x will be big and heavy so I guess having IGP isn't really that important vs R3 although it would have been nice. I'm teetering back and forth right now on what to do. I'll probably end up ordering one tomorrow in nebula red with a 2720qm, 6970M xfire, intel wireless, blu ray and 500 gb momentus and just hope for the best.

• Founder
Me too minus the blue ray. I might have to wait for my return to get back to Dell and the monkeys in the wheel to push the refund button lol

Ps hope we can overclock the xfire 6970s. Why wants 25k+ vantage scores....

I think 25k vantage will be very doable even without voltage adjustments.

for anyone interested/deciding between them, differences (based on specs now listed at official sites) between M17x R3 & M18x R1:

DISPLAY: M17x R3: 17.3" 1080p WLED | M18x R1: 18.4" 1080p WLED

CPU: M17x R3: 2820QM* | M18x R1: 2920XM

GPU: M17x R3: SINGLE GPU w/IGP | M18x R1: SINGLE/DUAL GPU (IGP?)

MEMORY: M17x R3: 16GB* 1333MHz (4DIMMS) | M18x R1: 32GB 1333MHz/16GB 1600Mhz (4DIMMS)

CASE: M17x R3: SOFT TOUCH (BLACK/RED) | M18x R1: ANODIZED ALUMINUM (BLACK/RED)

HEIGHT (FRONT): M17x R3: 1.75" | M18x R1: 2.09"

HEIGHT (REAR): M17x R3: 1.77" | M18x R1: 2.13”

DEPTH: M17x R3: 11.96" | M18x R1: 12.68”

WIDTH: M17x R3: 16.14" | M18x R1: 17.17”

WEIGHT (STARTING): M17x R3: 9.39lbs | M18x R1: 11.93lbs

SPEAKERS: M17x R3: 2 (KLIPSCH) | M18x R1: 2.1 (KLIPSCH)

BATTERY: M17x R3: 9-CELL LITHIUM ION (90-WHr) | M18x R1: 12-CELL LITHIUM ION (97-WHr)

POWER SUPPLY: M17x R3: 240W ADAPTER | M18x R1: 330W AC ADAPTER

ALL OPTICAL DRIVES, PORTS (WITH EXCEPTION OF EXPRESSCARD ON M18x R1), KEYBOARDS (WITH EXCEPTION OF FIVE EXTRA MACRO KEYS ON M18x R1), TOUCHPADS, WIRELESS CARDS, CAMERAS, SOUND, AND CUSTOMIZED NAMEPLATES ARE IDENTICAL OFFERINGS AT THIS TIME...

*denotes maximum offering by alienware, but not maximum component.

hope this helps!~ :D

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder
for anyone interested/deciding between them, differences (based on specs now listed at official sites) between M17x R3 & M18x R1:

DISPLAY: M17x R3: 17.3" 1080p WLED | M18x R1: 18.4" 1080p WLED

CPU: M17x R3: 2820QM* | M18x R1: 2920XM

GPU: M17x R3: SINGLE GPU w/IGP | M18x R1: SINGLE/DUAL GPU (IGP?)

MEMORY: M17x R3: 16GB* 1333MHz (4DIMMS) | M18x R1: 32GB 1333MHz/16GB 1600Mhz (4DIMMS)

CASE: M17x R3: SOFT TOUCH (BLACK/RED) | M18x R1: ANODIZED ALUMINUM (BLACK/RED)

HEIGHT (FRONT): M17x R3: 1.75" | M18x R1: 2.09"

HEIGHT (REAR): M17x R3: 1.77" | M18x R1: 2.13”

DEPTH: M17x R3: 11.96" | M18x R1: 12.68”

WIDTH: M17x R3: 16.14" | M18x R1: 17.17”

WEIGHT (STARTING): M17x R3: 9.39lbs | M18x R1: 11.93lbs

SPEAKERS: M17x R3: 2 (KLIPSCH) | M18x R1: 2.1 (KLIPSCH)

BATTERY: M17x R3: 9-CELL LITHIUM ION (90-WHr) | M18x R1: 12-CELL LITHIUM ION (97-WHr)

POWER SUPPLY: M17x R3: 240W ADAPTER | M18x R1: 330W AC ADAPTER

ALL OPTICAL DRIVES, PORTS (WITH EXCEPTION OF EXPRESSCARD ON M18x R1), KEYBOARDS (WITH EXCEPTION OF FIVE EXTRA MACRO KEYS ON M18x R1), TOUCHPADS, WIRELESS CARDS, CAMERAS, SOUND, AND CUSTOMIZED NAMEPLATES ARE IDENTICAL OFFERINGS AT THIS TIME...

*denotes maximum offering by alienware, but not maximum component.

hope this helps!~ :D

Couple points:

M17x-R3:

-Ram: 16 GB may be it's upper ceiling due to it's chipset and/or bios limitation.

-Sound: Lacks a subwoofer that M18x has.

-Battery Life: IGP support (I doubt M18x has it)

Couple points:

M17x-R3:

-Ram: 16 GB may be it's upper ceiling due to it's chipset and/or bios limitation.

-Sound: Lacks a subwoofer that M18x has.

-Battery Life: IGP support (I doubt M18x has it)

(ironic that all of the M17x R3 systems are scheduled for delivery by fedex here tomorrow :D)

idk why (:crazy: maybe? lol!~ :P), but the "M18x R1: SINGLE/DUAL GPU (IGP?)" is pretty much the final determining 'make it or break it' factor here atm, even though the added size/weight along with no need for dual gpu's should have made the decision relatively easy already. with all of the ports being identical (both have HDMI 1.4 even) other than the expresscard, holding out (against the realistic odds) for igp support...

Edited by vikingrinn

I don't care lol I'm always near an outlet. I use phone for all net needs as it is. Woot can't wait.

Will turn her into a molten pile of aluminum and plastic! 30k or bust!

Haha can't wait to do some benchies!

Ps tomorrow 8 am is release video, little early for popcorn....

• Founder
(ironic that all of the M17x R3 systems are scheduled for delivery by fedex here tomorrow :D)

idk why (:crazy: maybe? lol!~ :P), but the "M18x R1: SINGLE/DUAL GPU (IGP?)" is pretty much the final determining 'make it or break it' factor here atm, even though the added size/weight along with no need for dual gpu's should have made the decision relatively easy already. with all of the ports being identical (both have HDMI 1.4 even) other than the expresscard, holding out (against the realistic odds) for igp support...

Are you sure about the HDMI 1.4 on R3? I'm not sure if it has that. .

I don't care lol I'm always near an outlet. I use phone for all net needs as it is. Woot can't wait.

Will turn her into a molten pile of aluminum and plastic! 30k or bust!

Haha can't wait to do some benchies!

Ps tomorrow 8 am is release video, little early for popcorn....

I really don't understand the people at Dell PR, why introduce the thing so early in the morning? They should have done it tonight while everyone is at home. Oh well, 10 more hours to go and we get to see some videos and order the system.

Are you sure about the HDMI 1.4 on R3? I'm not sure if it has that. .

Alienware M17x Laptop Details | Dell

I really don't understand the people at Dell PR, why introduce the thing so early in the morning? They should have done it tonight while everyone is at home. Oh well, 10 more hours to go and we get to see some videos and order the system.

no kidding!~ :P hopefully someone will grab it and post it up to youtube, will be (more importantly) busy with classes here. ;)

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder
Alienware M17x Laptop Details | Dell

no kidding!~ :P hopefully someone will grab it and post it up to youtube, will be (more importantly) busy with classes here. ;)

If I'm awake I'll try to use snagit to capture it. Thx for the link, I didn't remember seeing hdmi 1.4 on there before.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can do it for you guys (That's 1am here, and I work nightshifts ((not tonight)), but I've not captured/uploaded video before.

If anyone wants me to, quick guide or a link to such.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I'm awake I'll try to use snagit to capture it. Thx for the link, I didn't remember seeing hdmi 1.4 on there before.

thanks!~ :) will maybe get a chance in between classes to check it out... ;) and yeppurz, wouldn't have ordered the HD 6970M without the support for external 3D (well, ok - still would've ordered the smokin' HD 6970M!~ :D), however rare the need arises! :P

I'm currently computer less so I'll be watching on my girlfriends laptop but she doesn't have anything to capture video with and she won't let me install anything lol she is pretty smart lol

if she reads this, be sure to separate and emphasize both (pretty AND smart) for extra points/mileage, lol!~ :D

I can do it for you guys (That's 1am here, and I work nightshifts ((not tonight)), but I've not captured/uploaded video before.

If anyone wants me to, quick guide or a link to such.

not sure, think brain's going to try using snagit? theres also http://www.speedbit.com/video/ (among many others) if you're wanting to give it a try - thanks, redundancy never hurts! :D

Edited by vikingrinn

Oh fucking snap I just remembered...

We currently have a 4gb dimm size limitation for all H67 and P67 chipsets. Its a hard limit that needs a new chipset to correct, which is why you wont find an ITX motherboard that can support more than 8gb ram (trust me I have looked).

If dell are saying it supports 32GB, then we can be confident that the M18x carries a ZM68 chipset.

Booyah!

-Ash

• Founder

We currently have a 4gb dimm size limitation for all H67 and P67 chipsets. Its a hard limit that needs a new chipset to correct, which is why you wont find an ITX motherboard that can support more than 8gb ram (trust me I have looked).

If dell are saying it supports 32GB, then we can be confident that the M18x carries a ZM68 chipset.

Booyah!

-Ash

That would be great, but then I don't get why they wouldn't advertise switchable graphics.

Booyah!

-Ash

16GB (4DIMMS) currently offered on the M17x R3, and friend in aw tech thinks no problem for more (32GB/4DIMMS) - was planning on finding out here soon if no igp on the 'avenger'. yet M18x is also showing same (4DIMMS) as well... :confused:

anywho, if so - if that ends up being the case, igp and the baddest chipset available on the M18x!!!~ :D then there'll be no choice, oh great... must. resist. temptation. lol :P

Edited by vikingrinn