should i upgrade? m15x 940xm

Malchik

Hey guys, just wondering what do you guys think about:

i7 940xm

gtx 460m

128gb SSD

750gb HDD

should I upgrade to sandy or ivy bridge laptop? would I feel massive increase in terms of real life performance? say for mid to high end sandy/ivy bridge laptop around $1200 mark.

and also how does it fare with 2720 or 2820qm? (940xm overclocked for daily use)

thanks!

It depends on your purpose of using the system. If you don't do much graphics work and only focus on gaming then you don't even need a 940xm; a 920xm would do. As for the 2720 or 2820 I'll leave it to the others since I only own a 920xm. M15x max cpu upgrade is 940xm by the way...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

I agree, for gaming, a better gpu like 7970M would make sense and wouldn't cost you that much, the CPU won't give you any real world performance unless you need it for specific applications that require it, or you need the newer chipset for the USB 3 or SATA 3, etc...

I have 940xm on my alienware now. So I guess I shouldn't worry about the CPU.

Would it handle the heat tho if I decided to put 7970M onto it?

5/

At the moment, its idling around 52-57 and when I play game like HoN or Dota 2 on high settings its around 59-65.

Is that normal for m15x with 940x + 460m? I'm scared it will get too hot if I put 7970M onto it..

• 2 months later...

You won't feel a massive difference in real life usage upgrading to sandy bridge/ivy bridge. Especially for gaming, the 920xm/940xm are more than enough. The SSD is probably the biggest factor in real life usage, you already have one so it's about as snappy as it gets.

Your best option would be to just upgrade the GPU to a 7970m and future proof/play every game out on almost high/maxed settings. Leaving both 940xm and the GPU at stock should be safe, the 7970m generally runs pretty cool.

• Founder
How much of a difference would there be in terms of gaming performance if upgrading from a 920xm to a 940xm?

Virtually none since you can OC the 920xm to the same levels as 940xm.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

hi, can you fit a i7 3770k in alienware m15x my specs are WIN 7 64BIT-RAM 8GB-CPU I7 920QM-GPU GTX970M (ISTALLING SOON) . do i need to upgrade my cpu? if i want to play this game in medium or high settings at 60 FPS-

Batman Arkham Knight

hi, can you fit a i7 3770k in alienware m15x my specs are WIN 7 64BIT-RAM 8GB-CPU I7 920QM-GPU GTX970M (ISTALLING SOON) . do i need to upgrade my cpu? if i want to play this game in medium or high settings at 60 FPS-

Batman Arkham Knight

Sorry but the i7 3770k is a desktop cpu with a different socket and therefore wouldn't fit in a M15x mobile cpu socket. I think your cpu would be able to run Batman Arkham Knight.

Batman Arkham Knight

I wasnt sure based on your post in other thread which cpu you have, but if it is in fact the 720qm the cpu I would recommend is the 920xm. It will easy reach the 3.4ghz recommended for Batman Arkham Knight

• 1 month later...

The M15x have a max CPU upgrade path to the first gen i7 940XM.... As for graphics cards, well we've seen 980M and 970M graphics cards working flawlessly in them. The CPU is our only limiting factor, but truthfully for now you can overclock the CPU so much it's on par with current offerings.

• Thumbs Up 1