Cisco WRT400N

Brian

• Founder
DHCP. Yeah it's odd. I spoke too soon tho... even as an access point I can't get this to work. The interesting part is that Skype connects, but I can't get anything else to connect. It is odd.... this is the new one.

EDIT: If I disable NAT on the cable modem you can access the internet fine from a single laptop - and works equally fine (the ISP IP is static but is obtained through DHCP and doesn't seem to be locked to particular MAC address; I tried playing with those too). If I try to connect WNDR3700 instead of a laptop (with cable modem/router NAT off) it doesn't seem to connect. If I set WNDR3700 to static IP and setup DNS servers and so manually, it can check for new firmware (running on stock now) - so I assumed the router is actually connected but the LAN isn't. However I couldn't get the LAN/WLAN working this way. Then I set it up as Access Point (connected internet connection in one of the LAN spots) and it worked fine in the evening but when I woke up you can't access anything except for Skype (?!).

I'll try to pop the question on some expert networking forum, once I find one. :)

So just to get the facts right: you take a cable from your modem to your laptop and the laptop gets Internet access without needing to dial out,right ? then you take that same cable to the Internet port of the router and it doesn't see internet?

I don't think you need to mess with access point mode to make it work.

Yeah. But OK, I finally got it working!

As per suggestion from the guy at Netgear forums, I had to add router's mac address to the DMZ of the modem, as well as disable WiFi, NAT and DHCP on the modem. Then I added the static IP address on the router, as long as all the other settings: gateway, DNS, etc.

And NOW FINALLY it works snappy !!! Oh yeah..... ! :) It's so fast!

• Founder
Yeah. But OK, I finally got it working!

As per suggestion from the guy at Netgear forums, I had to add router's mac address to the DMZ of the modem, as well as disable WiFi, NAT and DHCP on the modem. Then I added the static IP address on the router, as long as all the other settings: gateway, DNS, etc.

And NOW FINALLY it works snappy !!! Oh yeah..... ! :) It's so fast!

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you

Guess the first one was fine too... ;)

Well I don't know... on the first one nothing would connect, not even Skype. I thought this one was bad too, but then I noticed 'Hey how in the world can Skype connect'.... I even chatted on Skype nicely when everything else was offline. That was a puzzling thing. :) I would rather keep this one though. It has a 1 year (vs 30 day) warranty, it's not scratched (the other one was) and it has it's own serial number.

Now, the last piece of the puzzle I forgot - 1GBit network card for my desktop server. :D (Yeah imagine that - the onboard nic is only 100mbit..... cheapo dell inspiron)

Just installed Gigabit LAN on my desktop: Newegg.com - Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter 1 x RJ45

It feels SOOO much smoother on the Remote Desktop than on the crappy 100mbit that I had on the motherboard. Wired speeds 100-120MB/s, WiFi is steadily pushing 15MB/s on 5GHz band (and about 9-10MB/s on 2.5GHz). Connections are now rock solid with WNDR3700v2. <3

• 1 month later...

I joined the gang and bought a Netgear wndr3700 yesterday.....took me half an hour to set up.

upgraded to the latest firmware,the speed is between 16-19 mb/s download, 0.49mb/s upload!

haven't played with openwrt yet.........cos i m a noob.LOL

What speed would i get if using openwrt?

Edit:wireless speed i meant.

post-41-14494988113912_thumb.png

Edited by Pursuit

• Founder
I joined the gang and bought a Netgear wndr3700 yesterday.....took me half an hour to set up.

upgraded to the latest firmware,the speed is between 16-19 mb/s download, 0.49mb/s upload!

haven't played with openwrt yet.........cos i m a noob.LOL

What speed would i get if using openwrt?

Edit:wireless speed i meant.

With a good wireless card (Centrino 6300 for example) you can expect to see 10-15MB/s speeds.

• 2 years later...

I have had a wrt400n for some time now and it functions without issue. I connect to it using a WET610N as well as an AE2500 as well as thIntel WiFi link 1000 in my laptop.

The only time I have noticed signal loss is when my neighbors router decides to use the same chanel to transmit.