[M17x-R2] Fan wires

'Sup.

I was wondering if anyone knows what's the green wire on GPU fan used for?

Last time I pulled out the GPU fan for cleaning, I accidentaly tore apart the green wire (the connector was completely jammed in so I had to use a lot of force to get it out). In any case last time I assembled it back I soldered back the wire, but apparently I didn't do a good job and the wire was disconnected again for some time. The connector is practically microscopic and it's pretty challanging to solder it back.

However, the fan seems to work just fine except it was making a slightly weird noise when going on full speed. I was just wondering if anyone knows what's it for. I'll resolder it back tomorrow, but if its still going to be making noise I'll just buy another one.

Are 5 cables attached to the connector? I remember that for the M15x the red cable is +5V, the black one ground, then there are also PWM and the other was probably tacho... Yeah, that's four, the M15x actually has five cables on the connector, but I only see four of them connected to the fan, not sure what the fifth one is, never got around for more investigation.

So if the fan is still working fine, it can't be PWM, +5V or ground... maybe the R2 has similar fans as the M15x and you ripped out the apparently unconnected cable... ?

LOL! Just curious, what's the color of the unconnected wire on M15x?

Yeah weird! Well the fan does make ocassional noise so I ordered another one for $19 (mainly because my eBay bucks certificate of $5.55 was about to expire), if for nothing else then just to have a spare one. I just recently swapped the fan on my Thinkpad that also started not spinning and producing fan errors and also had the spare one.

Yeah, hahaha, I just checked my spare GPU fan... it's green :P

Here's a pic, you can see the green cable just disappears in the shrink tube. I don't think it's connected, if you need to know more exactly let me know, I can check with a multi or possibly cut the shrink tube.

post-80-14494993434357_thumb.jpg

OK I just installed the fan back. I haven't actually checked whether the green wire actually does stop (and I am not opening this thing again) but it sure looks like it does:

Dell OEM Alienware M17X Left GPU Video Card Fan F603N AVC BATA0812R5H | eBay

lol'd.

EDIT: I don't think it actually disappears in the shrink tube. Because I cut the thing open. I'm quite sure it actually goes into the fan -- but I still have no clue whether it actually does anything.