Zotac EN980 - I7 7th gen CPU and MXM GPU Upgrade

bagster

Well, some time has passed and I got a new project on my hands.

As mentioned in the title, I got for cheap a defective MB with the Liquid cooling modules on E-bay of a ZOTAC Magnus EN980. The MB had a dead short, but I took care of that.

I had an i5 7600 in a box somewhere and gave it a shot, but I get no post. Took out the bios chip, modded the bios to add  support for Kaby lake, but i can´t get it to post. I get fan spin and everything else. If I take the ram out, I get like 10 beeps ---????  and after that three more - suggesting the missing RAM. I want to install a clevo gtx 1070 mxm or am 1080 mxm that I currently only use for experiments. (btw if anyone has an SPI dump of the Vbios - of a CLEVO 1070  I might need a copy) . 

Any kind of assistance would be helpful. I am next going to update the GOP and GOP_VBT drivers - but, it seems that the original bios has an added bonus, one additional Vbios module - what I think it has to do with the mxm module switch thing.

Feel free to comment.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

What i can tell U that i got 980 mxm card from this very zotac and with default vbios it wont act as normal laptop mxm gpu.

It wont display any signal on laptop screen just to external monitor, becouse its missing this part in vbios.

Additionally this gpu has a 6 pin connector with is powered from zotac motherboard, sometimes it wont post becouse there is 6 pin error witch means that its not connected.

Thats all hints that i can tell You, if by any chance U wont go further with this project pm me im looking for that MB >.>

Edited by marcelus25

• 4 weeks later...

You'll need some electrical mods to fix that Clevo card - Electrically they need an enable-pin and a high-power 3.3V line tied into the 'reserved' pins on the MXM connector - Prema used to have a quite writeup on this, but it looks like it's been removed. Match up the MXM spec to the Clevo MXM spec, you'll see the one enable pin (1.8v but 3.3v works a-ok), and the handful of parallel lines which need to be tied into 3.3V.

You should be able to snag a VBIOS here - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

On 8/11/2022 at 1:52 PM, marcelus25 said:

Hi there,

What i can tell U that i got 980 mxm card from this very zotac and with default vbios it wont act as normal laptop mxm gpu.

It wont display any signal on laptop screen just to external monitor, becouse its missing this part in vbios.

Additionally this gpu has a 6 pin connector with is powered from zotac motherboard, sometimes it wont post becouse there is 6 pin error witch means that its not connected.

Thats all hints that i can tell You, if by any chance U wont go further with this project pm me im looking for that MB >.>

Ive putted in a clevo p370sm3 with no optimus and intel gpu , and its give screen with original bios but , none of any vbios will compatible with clevo , in alienware you loose bios fan contron and you need a software for it. I have a zotac mxmx 1070 and hard to find any laptop that is plug and play with it. BTW the clevo 1070 and 1080 cards using a plus power connector , so it will only work with heavy electrical modding, best option to try an msi mxm card or a quadro layout 10 series card.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 9:59 PM, Csupati said:

Ive putted in a clevo p370sm3 with no optimus and intel gpu , and its give screen with original bios but , none of any vbios will compatible with clevo , in alienware you loose bios fan contron and you need a software for it. I have a zotac mxmx 1070 and hard to find any laptop that is plug and play with it. BTW the clevo 1070 and 1080 cards using a plus power connector , so it will only work with heavy electrical modding, best option to try an msi mxm card or a quadro layout 10 series card.

Yeah, so I gave up  on the project, as I got to help someone else with the motherboard.

In each case I have recently fixed an EN 1080k that seemed to have the same problem. It had a burned cap. CPU+ GPU were fine. The waterloop liquid is trash in these things - not the design but the material, I don't know what the used, but I opened both heatsinks and the pump, as well as the small overflow container and cleaned allot of gunk out. I used the same liquid that I have in my custom loop, that lasted me for 2 years without any corrosion or deposits. I also had to reseal the gaskets with some black silicone - that goes up to 300 celssius.  The temps were about 92 and 95 in GPUZ (burn in test -sort of) before cleaning. After cleaning and refilling, I ran the unigine superposition on the 1080 extreme setting and never got above 50 C and all this in the silent mode.   I gave this one to my brother, he plays fifa 22 in 4k all on ultra with a 60 fps cap and did not get over 56 C.

It performes great. and for 1080P games, the tiny thing is still a beast.

Best regards - Bagster