Problem with 2920XM...

Okay, sorry if this is elsewhere I really tried my best to look at every search result, but none have exactly what I am looking for.

What is happening and what I want to do to remedy this situation:

In BF3 I get these random pauses. The game will just stop and then about 2 seconds later pick up where it left off, but most of the time leaving me to die. The problem, from what I have read and the tests I have done in game (render.perfoverlay crap to see my CPU spiking randomly for no reason when I was alone in a server), is that the CPU when it turbo boosts hits a high clock around 4 GHz (factory OC) then it drops to around 2.5Ghz spiking the cpu load in the process and making my gameplay stop for a second or two while bf3 gets used to the new clock. I want to know how I can raise the lower limit of the turbo boost to remedy this problem. I don't want to push my system to it's "limits" I just want to raise the bottom variable so that it doesn't have such a surge of performance then drops all of a sudden.

Any information you can provide about the processor and what actually is happening would help increase my understanding of what is going on. As of now, this is my theory on what is happening. I have unlocked bios set on the "Level 3" overclock leftover from when i flashed from the locked ones. I have the ThrottleStop program and have a general understanding of it's functioning.

Hope you can help,

Lunch

Rig,

M18x R1 6970s in CF with a 2920XM i7 factory overclocked to 4GHz

16 GB ddr3 @ 1600MHz

2 Samsung Hybrid drives in RAID 0

(hope that helps you guys)

• Founder

Hi Lunchbox,

Welcome to T|I! Can you post a screenshot of the CPU overlay you see in BF3? That would help us figure out what's going on as well as your ThrottleStop log when playing the game. The temporary freezing you are seeing could be a result of the hybrid drives rather than the CPU. The first thing I suggest you try is to turn off overclocking for your CPU (set it back to default) and see if the behavior persists. If it does, then we can rule out the CPU unless its overheating (which TS logs will help us figure out).

Honestly I don't think it's the hybrid drives because that doesn't make sense. I think it's the fluctuation in power from the CPU. I don't quite understand your ruling out of the CPU by that test. If I return them to stock it will happen more, that is a given. That's because the CPU cannot maintain a constantly high clock to process the information from the GPU.

I will do what you asked though and we can go from there.

Thanks for the reply,

Lunch

Hi Lunchbox,

Welcome to T|I! Can you post a screenshot of the CPU overlay you see in BF3? That would help us figure out what's going on as well as your ThrottleStop log when playing the game. The temporary freezing you are seeing could be a result of the hybrid drives rather than the CPU. The first thing I suggest you try is to turn off overclocking for your CPU (set it back to default) and see if the behavior persists. If it does, then we can rule out the CPU unless its overheating (which TS logs will help us figure out).

Here it is. I feel the information correlates with what I was saying because the C0 state of the processor is low and then it spikes in game and causes that mini-freeze (As noted in the overlay by the spike). Every time I got the mini freeze it spiked like that.

Screenshot(I used a website because the forum didn't like my resolution lol): Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

2012-24-06.txt

• Founder

Thanks, we'll also page @unclewebb so he can examine the TS logs. I do see the spike from the screen shot you posted. Have you tried disabling overclocking to see if you still get the problem? I'm going to assume that its a BF3 issue so what settings are you using in-game? If you are running on Ultra, try scaling back to AUTO and turning vsync on to see if that does anything. We'll go from there. BTW I did a check on "lag spikes BF3" through Google and it seems to be a common problem with the game, so I don't think your case is unique.

Don't know if this will help, but I had exactly the same issue with BF3 on my M18X with a 2920xm. I found a suggestion of disabling hyperthreading, which fixed the problem instantly (Though it effectively made my awesome chip an i5). After I did an OS reinstall with everything fresh, the problem disappeared for good and didn't return when I reactivated hyperthreading.

Tried disabling the hyperthreading and it did not work.

mainly because it would get really hot and start to throttle when it couldn't offload the information to the other 4 "cores".

I lowered the clocks on it back from level 3 and also modified the flex ratio so instead of reading 25 it reads 0 now. I did that so the temps would not be so high thus causing it to throttle back.

That helped with the throttling.

I also turned off C-states, and disabled speedstep. It improved it, but i would see my frames drop to like 2 then jump up to 50 and it was kinda pausing but definitely not as bad as before. I would still be able to move and stuff.

I still think the problem is somewhat there, but with c-states and speedstep off it helps.

Setting 0flex voltage was your best decision at those speeds. You need core states and speed step on that is very important as it adds uneeded heat to the sustem. Dont enable C7 core state it is not actually helpful and can cause bsod from not adding the volts back to the cpu fast enough when leaving core state 7. So only use upto core state 6. Next set up Throttle Stop and give us your max temps. By default if your hitting 85c even on a peak... your cpu is starting to throttle which means it may start running at 2.5ghz and on top of that with chipmod or lowering your speed by disabling a percent of your calculations on all cores individually. I got that lag if i ever reached that. On the unlocked bios you can set throttle temp to 90c ibstead but thats getting kind of hot at that point. Whats your max cpu load according to HWiNFO?

Another aspect is that it could be requiring more watts and amps and you are seeing dramatic speed drops when load is increased a lot. BF3 has a lot of shadow and smoke effects which both take a lot of cpu power. If your overheating drop the multis from 41x to 40,39 or 38. Most games wont overheat at 3.8-4.0ghz in most situations.

You can turn fans to max via HWiNFO and see if the cpu iscooled extra from start if the lag occurs. I have plenty more advice but not enough info to go on yet. Is this the only games it happening in?

- - - Updated - - -

The 6970m's could be having trouble with SSAO and another effect or so in some scenes on those same cards i had fps drops i would look in a different direction and id gain 20 or more fps