2920XM O/C Instability

Michael

• Founder

Hey guys.

My 2920XM is acting up...

Back when i got it, with the help of @mw86 we set a "safe" overclock and i never touched it since.

Recently i've noticed that BSODs started popping here and there, so i ran IntelBurnTest and after about 5 minutes it informed me the CPU isn't stable.

Attached are hwinfo sensors log and TS log.

Below are my settings :

post-2-1449499330096_thumb.jpg

post-2-14494993301923_thumb.jpg

Thoughts ?

ThrottleStopLog.txt

hwinfo.txt

@Michael I agree with Brian you should drop to 40X and should run much cooler. I found after much more testing 42x is the most you can guarantee on 0flex (voltage) at this point. as when temps get to your ranges 44/43 could require just a small bump up.

So 42x or less and to stay really cool use 40x like Brian.

Please disable "non turbo flex ratio" it is uneeded and can cause clock speed issues.

Michael what was the bsod # did you catch that? x000000124 is voltage but a few mean ram etc....

testing in intel burn test i found around 3.2-3.4ghz a good range to handle an 8thread intel burn load without overheating.

I know you use linux but if your in windows sometimes Michael you can set the 40x in bios and in throttle stop set an alarm temp and profile up. basically profile 1 can be normal and profile two you can set to like 3.4ghz and then have the alarm function of throttle stop kick in at a certain DTS. like 10 would mean at 90C you would switch to 3.4ghz to keep things cool and safe under extreme temps/stress. 15 is 85c as you know and 20 would be 80c. you could even use 75c if you wanted...

see here :)

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/1491-2920xm-overclocking-guide-detailed-results.html#post20109

whats the ram used?

and how is the ram set? what volts... or default?

- - - Updated - - -

whats this intel burntest? can i try it on my 920xm?

yes you can use this http://majorgeeks.com/IntelBurnTest_d5987.html to test your 8thread load temps and stability.

in fact the 920xm and 2920xm handle on stock volts about the same in this test. it produces so much heat most can run 3.2-3.4 for awhile and maintain temps... much higher you reach 90c+ very soon.

my 920xm would start at per say 3.5ghz and would drop to 2.2ghz after many minutes of stress under this program. you won't get that 920xm 4ghz stable in Intel Burn test...

you can try our prime95 too as that would be even hotter...

edit:

Michael i would also suggest at this point in what ive learned you could disable short turbo limit altogether and just use one watt limit in the 80watt range. The short duration limit can cause a lot of systems to ramp up temps fast and may have been the problem partially.

maybe set multis as follows so you get best of both worlds but stay cool... 40/40/41/42 at 0 flex and that should run nice and run cool. since dual and single core especially at 4.1 and 4.2ghz will not add much heat at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...
  • Founder

I just repasted my CPU today with some fresh MX-4. My system was actually locking up at 4 GHz due to the CPU hitting 98-99C! In addition, the 580Ms were also seizing at 0.92v. I repasted everything, used my vacuum blower to clean out the vents and now the GPUs are back at 0.92v with 750/850/1500 clocks and the CPU at L3 AW settings with increased TDP settings. Prime 95 for the CPU yielded a max of 87C which is pretty good at 3.5 GHz so I'm happy.

Oh yeah what good is a post about cleaning vents w/out an obligatory pic?:

From M18x

• Founder
^That's why I don't like MX-4, can't be bothered repasting so often.

Thanks for the pic, I just looked up that duster, must have one! :D

NP, I highly recommend it! It has a lot of power and will save you money by not having to purchase compressed air (which lose power after about 5 seconds and freeze your hand).

I agree about MX-4. It works well, but doesn't last long at all. I quit using it because of having to re-paste too frequently. IC Diamond lasts longer for me.