GTX 580m upgrade

Just picked up the GTX580m at a decent price for my M17xR3 - currently running the 560m....what kind of performance boost should i expect from this bad boy? can any owners out there post some FPS on a few games? Thankfully the place has a return policy so if its not really worth it then I'll scrap the whole project. Thanks for the help guys (and gals)!

Totally worth it, it should be almost like 560m SLI -> huuuuge performance boost. Just make sure you got the proper heatsink, backplate and some thermal paste for changing the card.

Oh well, actually it might even be the same heatsink and backplate, just make sure you have the proper one. Does your backplate cover the VRAM modules on the back of the card?

Alright it's official, my gtx580 is being shipped w00t!...has anyone done this upgrade before? I'm looking to advice on what I'll need....obviously thermal paste, but what about anything else I might need. Also what thermal compound would you suggest? Thanks in advance all!

Alright it's official, my gtx580 is being shipped w00t!...has anyone done this upgrade before? I'm looking to advice on what I'll need....obviously thermal paste, but what about anything else I might need. Also what thermal compound would you suggest? Thanks in advance all!

I use ICD or MX-4 and for the money its not worth it but if you find a deal I just picked up some Prolimatech PK-1 and its as good as the other pastes too. IC can scratch your die the GPU chip itself... when removing it if done in any sort of abrasive manner even traditional removal method of wiping it off. the following threads have good info on repasting and various pastes.

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/29-%5Bphotoguide%5D-cleaning-replacing-thermal-compunds-gpu-cpu-m17x-r2.html#post52

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/815-innovation-cooling-ic-diamond-giveaway-survey.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1677-thermal-paste-dell-hd-6970m.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/1488-tuniq-tx-4-thermal-paste.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/frontpage-news/912-innovation-cooling-%96-diamond-24-carat-thermal-compound-review.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x/1186-changing-thermal-compound-what-decrease-temperature-can-i-expect.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/913-ic-diamond-24-survey-results.html

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thanks so much for all the links...I'll start digging into the research. On a separate note - I have some thermal paste left over from my coolermaster v6 CPU cooler i recently installed. Any objections to using that?

That should work as long as it's a some what current paste for today. I would say that if it's not the stock paste that comes with 580m's should be fine.

This is important though on a seperate topic oif your incoming 580m. From experience it is very important you get a half-dollar sized piece of yellow plastic that is used between the heatsink back bracket and the PCB. I had the 580m kit installed by an on site tech and they either were overlooked and not put in or just not sent... I'll give the tech the benefit of the doubt. Basically the cards were used a month or two like that and eventually one died and one is faulty randomly... So basically make sure it's there or your system and or gpus could be damaged. My symptoms were random system shutdown with auto restart. Alternate was artifacts in game on stock settings... (White dots random in game)

One more symptom was on IGP I had upon booting up random colors alternating... no recognizable picture once windows desktop attempted to load like a snowy picture on a tv but with color.

The reason is without that plastic the video cars grounds out into the frame and heatsinks of the system.

That should work as long as it's a some what current paste for today. I would say that if it's not the stock paste that comes with 580m's should be fine.

This is important though on a seperate topic oif your incoming 580m. From experience it is very important you get a half-dollar sized piece of yellow plastic that is used between the heatsink back bracket and the PCB. I had the 580m kit installed by an on site tech and they either were overlooked and not put in or just not sent... I'll give the tech the benefit of the doubt. Basically the cards were used a month or two like that and eventually one died and one is faulty randomly... So basically make sure it's there or your system and or gpus could be damaged. My symptoms were random system shutdown with auto restart. Alternate was artifacts in game on stock settings... (White dots random in game)

One more symptom was on IGP I had upon booting up random colors alternating... no recognizable picture once windows desktop attempted to load like a snowy picture on a tv but with color.

The reason is without that plastic the video cars grounds out into the frame and heatsinks of the system.

The card should arrive tomorrow, I'll keep an eye open for the yellow plastic thing you mentioned - is it relevant for a single card configuration? I'll do my best to grab pics each step of the way and post the walk through in this forum as I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in this upgrade. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

The card should arrive tomorrow, I'll keep an eye open for the yellow plastic thing you mentioned - is it relevant for a single card configuration? I'll do my best to grab pics each step of the way and post the walk through in this forum as I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in this upgrade. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

post-34-14494993236476_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494993236694_thumb.jpg

the pics above show the plastic in place in the red squares. Basically any 580M configuration requires this to keep them from being damaged with the supplied heatsink bracket.

post-34-14494993240007_thumb.jpg

Ok so, i was little impatient and did my upgrade without snapping pics, it was fairly straight forward and I was able to re-use everything from my GTX560m cooling setup.....there is however 1 problem....I just don't see the big performance increase that most people said I would get. Frame rate increases are minimal at best (maybe 5-10 fps max) I'm listing some ball park averages below....any feedback would be nice. It might be worth noting that when i opened the ESD bag prior to the upgrade the GTX 580m smelled very distinctly like burnt electronics (if you've smelled it you know it) is it possible there is a defect with this particular card?

BF3 - "HIGH" preset no Vsync(varies by map of course) avg 50-60FPS @ 1600x900

Diablo3 - all maxed no vsync avg 70-80fps (some parts drop as low as 45fps)

Raccoon City - all maxed no Vsync avg 40-50fps

Mass Effect 3 - all settings maxed vsync off steady at 60fps

Hey glad install went smooth. Was that plastic insulator there or did you use a piece of plastic you had around the house. For the perfomance I'd ask which driver your on. Also stock clocks aren't quite as fast as some like to portray. Maybe try a 680mhz+ core speed on your stock volts maybe 700.

There are a lot of factory processes the cards go through and is possible that's what you smell.

• 1 month later...