ram question

Hi guys. When I go to computer/properties (where it shows your WEI) it says 16Gb Ram 3.27 usable.So I thought I might have a bad stick so I started to remove a stick at a time.After removing the first one I checked and it said 12Gb Ram.So I put a stick of 4Gb Samsung and it said 16Gb Ram.I called Amazon and they sent me a new stick of Corsair Vengeance.I installed it and again it said 16Gb Ram 3.27 usable.Took it out and put the Samsung back in and it said 16Gb Ram.What the heck is goin on here? Anyone got any suggestions? If the slot was bad then why would the Samsung stick work?:ah:

Hi guys. When I go to computer/properties (where it shows your WEI) it says 16Gb Ram 3.27 usable.So I thought I might have a bad stick so I started to remove a stick at a time.After removing the first one I checked and it said 12Gb Ram.So I put a stick of 4Gb Samsung and it said 16Gb Ram.I called Amazon and they sent me a new stick of Corsair Vengeance.I installed it and again it said 16Gb Ram 3.27 usable.Took it out and put the Samsung back in and it said 16Gb Ram.What the heck is goin on here? Anyone got any suggestions? If the slot was bad then why would the Samsung stick work?:ah:

yeah slot cant be bad then... what speed is the samsung and corsair? and are you setting ram speed manually, auto and same on ram volts on default or manually set to what?

3.2 is 32bit windows limitation strangely... and when you have the 12gb or 16gb working with samsung its strange the corsair do that...

• 2 weeks later...
Klose Lee said:
because of your OS is 32 bit windows which maximum ram capacity is 3.25gb,this problem will be fixed by change your OS to 64 bit window.

exactly Klose Lee. welcome to Tech Inferno, its great to have you with us. Feel free to jump in as you have anywhere you feel like participating :)

strange how Thumper has a 32bit version of windows anyway... right? I think this is an alienware and I think they are only sold with 64bit windows... Maybe they sent the wrong disks or maybe its not an Alienware and he just purchased the 32bit version.

if you look at what he posted its almost like he is saying with samsung in it says 16gb ram 16gb useable... and with alternate ram sticks in he gets 16gb ram 3.25gb useable. Not sure as he hasn't responded for about two weeks.. he may be busy.

if he has 32 bit windows installed then why the Samsung ram is recognized ?

thats why I posted this all is very strange and my thoughts exactly on the samsung thing... it should of said the same as before... "16gb ram /3.25gb usable" and not "16gb ram" on the samsung if as you said Michael he was in fact on 32bit windows.