Need help Diagnosing shutdown and auto restart in Windows M18x w/580m

mw86

Hello all this has been frustrating before and now my issue came back consistently. I get shutdowns in windows and the system just starts back up. A month or two ago I found out I was never properly upgraded to 580M. Unlike most of the AMD cards out... these 580M are normally supplied a yellow plastic to put in between the PCB and the heatsinks back support bracket. I put some basic static free plastic in and obviously now its still not working. So I had been working a lot on ram at 1866+ and thought well maybe that's whats going on. So I put 2-2gb 1066mhz old sodimms in and reset the bios to completely stock. I booted on discrete still got the shutdowns. Now this is the strange part. I booted from IGP and still got the shutdowns. Last night i pulled both 580s from the system to diagnose as im tired of this. Been running a bit last night and left it on for a few hours and have used the system on and off today... no Shutdown :|

I guess the cards are the issue and I am not sure if its grounding out or they are semi broken from the bull that DELL put me through? Anyone have a pic of the exact way both the left and right gpu 580m's should look like on the back bracket areas. I am not even sure I have the right heatsink brackets :|

anyone have some thoughts... anything is appreciated.

BTW its not BSOD or anything I have Windows set to not restart on error so I can check bsod codes.

well, as a start try to put the 580m's back one by one and see if it's only one of them that's causing the problem. Seems like an electric problem to me.

Thanks Michael... my thoughts exactly seems its still shorting from my prob a few months ago. I'll put one in tonight and see if the issue returns. Then add the second once i've used it awhile if no issue comes back. Thanks Michael.

Well to do it systematic... I put the main gpu in but after re-insulating the bottom bracket better... and well I think my LCD cable is broken or pinched...im too tired to do more tonight but reopened and reseated the LCD cable and it hasn't helped... its showing white as yellow and all the colors are messed up. :| its on IGP to so its my cable....

Edited by mw86

Okay magically just typing the discoloration went away go figure :|

So I'll see if I have any shutdowns for next day or so then do the same with card two. Thanks Michael :)

i think i have to get some paste now... my temps are outrageous now because i didn't have any left so reused... the used paste and well that didn't go well I guess.

so last night i played a bit and on just one 580m after the fix... the shutdown occurred... but on my ram at stock 1866mhz the Corsair chips... but that ran fine on IGP when I tested?... So i set them to 1333mhz to diagnose and haven't had the shutdown... on this 580m since... tonight i'll test more and fix the second card install and test again. I'll leave the 1333mhz ram set till then then after sure no shutdown I guess i need to find out how to test my internal memory controller any ideas on how to do that?

more strange here... still on the single 580m and tried the 1866 again first off @Jimbo any thoughts on how your 1866mhz ram is handling?

see the following the system didn't shutdown on the 1866 now... for now but look what happens?

my 580m is now running the ram ultra low? is this a driver issue or ram or video card? its only when I am in the 1866 and i'm not sure if its everytime

post-34-1449499322158_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494993220619_thumb.png

post-34-14494993220855_thumb.jpg

is this a glitch in gpuz? i'm on the .87v vbios with P1 and P0 matched?

post-34-14494993222504_thumb.png hwinfo shows .87v and gpuz .92v

hmmm still have the low mem clocks once i enter a game and if you look at HWinfo on desktop i am locked at 3d clocks not sure why but again if i enter the game i have like 100-300mhz on the vram?

Edited by mw86

here single 580m and set 1333mhz on ram and gpu mem and clocks are fine. @Jimbo @widezu69 @GeoCake any of you run into any of the above scenarios before out of the above posts on 580m and or using 1866 ram?

here is the pics of it working correct when at 1333mhz ram

post-34-14494993229764_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494993228977_thumb.jpg

Edited by mw86

tomorrow I am going to put the second 580m in as the main card in single card form again and test. I am back to the slowest ram I have around... those 1066mhz modules i mentioned and on this 580m I am having the shutdown... despite being overly excessive on making sure nothing was shorting on the PCB from the heat-sink bracket on the back. If that one has no issue Im not sure what to do I guess tell Dell one gpu is working.... but not sure how I tell them that without "oh... you had the gpus out... bam your warranty is void. I may if the shutdowns still occur on the other gpu have to face the cold hard nasty facts that since I had my system exchange and they had to put the right gpus in and a motherboard replacement... things havent been working right as I thought the shutdowns were other things long ago... I am at this point because I have already been going through what it could be and left with not much...

well I'll keep this updated but tomorrow I put in second card as main gpu and test. Not sure but based on the dead ends I keep coming to I may back my crap up and send it to depot... a in home tech wouldn't have the resources to determine all possible problems which at depot they can run many tests... and if there is more probs from depot i'll just have to call them back for the umpteenth time :|

Has anyone at Tech Inferno ran into similar scenarios on any of the above? I'm done for the night little annoyed at the system... all started when i got the 580s... there was no yellow plastic insulator installed by the tech and I later found out it was mandatory or they ground out :|

the current card has tape (yes tape) over pcb areas where the x bracket connects to PCB (copper coated holes) and is screwed in addition to the chips coming off the PCB being insulated by plastic..

All I know is that GPU-Z sometimes displays 0.92v incorrectly (when using 0.87v)... might be something to do with the beta drivers. Glitched/bugged GPU-Z as usual :P

I've been happy on HyperX 1866Mhz RAM for very long time now, not a single issue. R3 doesn't support anything higher :(

All I know is that GPU-Z sometimes displays 0.92v incorrectly (when using 0.87v)... might be something to do with the beta drivers. Glitched/bugged GPU-Z as usual :P

I've been happy on HyperX 1866Mhz RAM for very long time now, not a single issue. R3 doesn't support anything higher :(

you mentioned you owned the same Corsair for a short time... and that you had troubles. Can you explain what troubles you had on the Corsair 1866 plug and play and also when you were tinkering with Thaiphoon Burner overall did you come to any conclusions or findings other than the 1866 limit? What would happen in usage scenarios when you tried higher... it could be same issues I was having on the Corsair...

On topic again of the GPU shutdowns... assuming there is a problem or something still to work out on the first 580m i tested alone... I have through lasst night and this morning installed the other one as the main gpu (sucks having to swap the heatsinks and brakets around) and will test through tommorow... on this video card so far no shutdowns been typing for an hour or two here in posts. I'll go test games later today and post back on results... I'll make sure IGP on this one is same so hopefully the shutdown issue dont come back on this card and I can diagnose the second card further...

I can retry to insulate the braket for the second card better and try them in SLI if this one stays working fine... hopefully when I put the second one in again that its all resolved...

and thanks Geocake for your input as I do think I am dealing with a GPU issue and a few troubles working with those ram modules... for added info Geocake the Corsair vengeance are flashed on stock profile...

• 2 weeks later...

An update on this issue before I close the thread. Both gpus after long testing and trial and error are faulty. @Michael thank you for suggesting to use them individually. It was a PITA but I "insulated" anywhere that could "ground out" and installed each one as the primary individually which needed to swap the card to a different heatsink and xbracket each time :|

basically first gpu the system restarts randomly and the second gpu often would be having artifacts and on rare occasion the shutdown came back. I also attempted to run in IGP with them in and for some reason I was getting random colors on the screen and I couldn't see anything as it tried to load windows. At this point I have been gaming and testing with benchmark and stability tests since a few days after I last posted about this on the Intel IGP. So I have not had issue with none of the 580m's in so I contacted a Alienware Level-3 tech/rep who is taking care of me.

I hope so too Michael. So far no probs with system on igp as mentioned. Yes if the new gpus cause the same shutdown issues the grounding out 580m's could of damaged the mobo and or just the mxm slots in any case I'll test and if the system is still shutting down I'll ask for a mobo. Don't think I'd get to install that myself but maybe. I know these gpus are broken 1 completely unusable and one with quirks... So hopefully the issue ends here. As this mobo was a replacement right after I got the 580m's in the first place due to a faulty ram slot in my last motherboard.