New alienware m17x, Wanna know what to do out of the box to keep it in top condition.

Out of the box I'm wondering what I should do to keep it running good for years so I don't get a massive FPS drop in like 4-5 months.

Other than regular computer maintenance, Like update all the drivers, I've heard something about flashing a bios, not exactly sure what that means.

Any help would be appreciated, Supposed to receive this beast on the 15th.

we'll see.

Specs below.

post-3063-14494992754334_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to T|I! You are in the right place ;)

Your lappy should arrive with the latest BIOS installed, and unless you are planning to seriously tweak it there isn't a need for you to update the bios.

All you have to do is keep your drivers up to date and enjoy your new toy. Every once in a while it wouldn't hurt to blow compressed air through the vents to keep them clean and keep it running cool.

That's about it.

honestly the specs are on the low end, i highly recommend upgrading the gpu to ati 6990 or nvidia 580, if you want better gaming performance and a little bit more future proofing. price seems high for what you are getting. i say drop the killer wifi and the 16gb ram and get the 6300 wifi and 4gb ram then use money for better gpu. don't go too overboard with updating stuff like driver etc. if they work good for you then there is no need, as the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it. hahah

• Thumbs Up 2

reverseclassic i agree with iloveb00bs. Buy ram 3rd party it much cheaper. The 6990m and 580m are worth it to upgrade to... but only if in price range with those items dropped.

Welcome to Tech Inferno reverseclassic.

• Thumbs Up 1

reverseclassic i agree with iloveb00bs. Buy ram 3rd party it much cheaper. The 6990m and 580m are worth it to upgrade to... but only if in price range with those items dropped.

Welcome to Tech Inferno reverseclassic.

yup like both of these great guys above me have said, 6990m is worth the upgrade. I recently upgraded to a 6990m from my 460m, and ill i can say is WOW. Another thing you may wanna look at is accidental warranty. It can save you lots of time, money and effort in the long run if your machine gets damaged accidentally. ;)

i couldn't agree more with Bigtonyman a great guy too. Accidental damage to some seems like a ploy to get people to pay in on coverage and often never use it... more often you do need it and it can be for simple things like you cleaned the fans and a major piece broke... that's right even though you broke it tinkering in the machine as long as its been determined to not have been malicious damage you end up with free replacement of all damaged parts. The extended warranty is worth it too as i had issues on mine not covered by plain warranty and it saved the day for me. I bought 4year + accidental coverage. Used 1 year soon so far... if its in budget think about atleast 1 year extended warranty and 1 year accidental... You can always add more time later on.