Intel Core i7 8th gen with windows 7 (Intel UHD Graphics 620 Driver - DELL Inspiron 5770)

Hi! I registered for the specific topic. So, the big question for which I found no answer in internet.

Windows 7 on Intel Core 8th generation.

Officially, Intel supports windows 7 up to 6th generation. Unofficially, with an easy trick up to 7th generation. The question is, how can we make it work on 8th generation?

I installed windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on my new DELL Inspiron 5770 high end non-gaming 17 inch laptop, without any issue apart from the integrated GPU (Intel UHD Graphics 620). This also blocks the functionality of the AMD Graphics card too.

So, since for many reasons I want to have windows 7 instead of windows 10 or Linux, I did my best but I got stuck. I created a hybrid driver from 2 different versions of official Intel drivers, the latest, which supports this iGPU, but only on Windows 10 and the last windows 7 compatible, which does not include support for the specific 8th gen processor/graphics card, since it is newer. I mixed some files and also edited the inf file from the old driver.

I will share with you what I did, so that someone who has knowledge might get 100% functionality. I get only partial.

So, here is my guide.

1. Download the last Win7 compatible driver from Intel for HD Graphics. It is the version win64_15.45.19.4678
2. Download a newer version which is win10 only but contains the driver for your processor. In my case, Intel Core i7 8550U with DEV_5917. I downloaded the latest driver.
3. Make copies/backup of both folders and save elsewhere before starting editing.
4. Unzip both. From the unzipped ones, go to the new driver folder, then Graphics, then copy all components and paste in the Graphics folder of the old (15.45.19.4678) version. Note; So far in my case I didn't play a role if I replaced the same names of the old files with the new ones or skipped them to keep the old ones. Exception; do NOT replace the igdlh64.inf file and the igdumdim32.dll
5. Find the DEV number of the processor. Device Manager (from Control panel or search), right click on generic VGA Adapter, properties, details, ID.
6. Open the igdlh64 file (with a notepad) from the new version (Graphics folder) find the DEV number under windows 10 and copy the whole line.
7. Paste it under the Windows 7 section in the igdlh64 file of the old driver and correct the ikbl win10 with iskl win7 (known trick for 7th gen).
8. Copy all lines that include the 4-digit number from the igdlh64 file from the new driver and paste in the respective sections of the igdlh64 of old driver. In the end of the text, also add the name of the driver as a label, eg Intel UHD Graphics 620.
9. Install the modified old driver (win64_15.45.19.4678) and reboot.
10. After reboot. Copy the igdumdim32.dll file from the Graphics folder of the new version and paste it to the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 replace the existing files

This way, I get all resolutions, full brightness, colour, contrast etc control of the display, intel graphics control panel, full windows 7 effects (aero glass etc), but I dont actually get video support (apart from 3rd party software, like VLC/GOM player which even play 4K video smoothly), 3d applications are not functional, I dont get hardware acceleration etc. I concluded that the solution is to edit the igdumdim32.dll file, so that I copy elements from the new version to the old one. This way, theoretically, it should work. Anyone who has experience with driver and dll modification???

• 3 months later...
On 24/10/2018 at 8:58 PM, Mengqin said:

A HUGE THANK YOU!!! Great job bro!

I knew the issue was these two dll files,  but I didn't have the knowledge to dig inside them and find what to edit in them. I edited these two bytes as you said and everything works flawlessly with windows 7! In my case, I have an AMD Radeon graphics card which continued to work even after installation of the Intel modified driver, but a reinstallation is always the best way to go.

Thank you again a lot for sharing your knowledge and the final 100% working solution!!! Now I can finally use windows 7 on my new laptop just as I used to in older systems in the past. Everything works perfectly now!!!

To all other guys, I confirm that this solution works for other systems as well (like mine that I have different components). Thumps up!