Alienware m14x RAM Upgrade

raymosrunerx

Hello everyone,

I've had an alienware m14x for a while now, and I've been looking to upgrade my RAM.

Currently, I have the i5-2410m processor, and I think that the maximum clock rate I can get to is 1333MHz.

I heard alot of people using this as their upgrade and had commented that this has nice heat dispersion

I was wondering if there is a 1333MHz option to that model? I can't seem to find it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Raymosrunerx

PS: I really like this forum, I stumbled upon this the other day and decided to give it a go... I got my GPU to go 800/1600/1080, which is pretty sweet

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi and welcome to T|I!

The 1600MHz RAM will automatically downclock itself to 1333MHz if your CPU doesn't support higher clocked RAM, so you can't go wrong with this kit.

• Thumbs Up 1

i could recomend from tinkering myself... you might want to look for low voltage low latency ram for 1600mhz/1333mhz... otherwise the above look fine. i have Kingston Hyperx and im satisfied mine are 1600mhz but at 1.65v according to package (they run on less) and are 1.5v 1333mhz modules with XMP profiles available to... if you can get ram thats rated 1.5v cl7 at 1600mhz its bound to be very fast and cool and run rugged overclocks via baseclock at 1333mhz then :) but not sure where to find i bought the basic Kinston Hyperx 8gb dual channel kits 1.65v 9-9-9-27 with XMP2. anyway i think speed is less important over having low votage requirement and low latency :) i just didnt want to wait on the ram to find a better kit at the time.

Thanks!

I think I will send the order in for this. Do you know how to configure the XMP profile? I saw the option to in my BIOS, but I dont know what to set it to, profile 1, 2, or custom?

for 1333mhz xmp timings and set profile 1. For 1600mhz set profile 2. set 1333 mhz manually or 1600mhz set the voltage manually to to what its supposed to be for the ram if low volt 1.5v if not as high as 1.65v

To answer what you asked in PM... For an i5 you would want to manually select 1333mhz, 1.5 maybe 1.55v for volts and XMP profile 1 not custom or number 2. Hit F10 and let it save and restart. Now if you overclock your baseclock i found i have to set the voltage,speed or xmp profile back or it sometimes is reset to "default" after restarting from a baseclock change. If you change baseclock down from stock 99.8 that underclocks ram... If you raise it from 99.8 that will overclock it you may get it running faster with baseclock overclock but may need to add volt bumps in .05v steps till stable 1.57 is intels recomended max... Been lots of reviews and stuff saying should be prob long term at 1.65v but be weary.

If you get it to load the direct communication in the cpu will be limited to 1333 so sadly in some sense yes. If you can find modules that have low latency at 1333 you may be better off... but these work for me :) but i have xm that supports 1600

So...

Here's a vid I made really quick. I tried to confirm with CPU-Z on the clock rate and it still says its 664.7 (which is 1333 dual channel).

Any ideas on why it is still set to 2133? I did use the BIOS mod for GPU overvolting by svl7, but I don't think that has anything to do with it

Alienware m14x 2133MHz Overclock on Default 4GB RAM and i5-2140m - YouTube

I watched the video and thats interesting. Usually upon reboot it says default if the ram speed wasnt usable. But upon boot into windows it says 667/1333mhz... So seems it dont matter bios value when over 1333 on that cpu... 1333mhz is most it will use baseclock can make it go over 1333mhz thats one way :) whatever cpuz is reporting is accurate to how its running. Its cool but no idea why you find you are able to set that and have it still on it upon reboot. Seems 1.5v would be quite low for if 2133mhz worked since thats what it would be at if on default.

perhaps HWiNFO.com :) great hardware monitoring software that is freeware. HWmonitor perhaps if HWiNFO isn't showing them... should be something that will show that. Honestly if it supports XMP setting 1333mhz and XMP profile 1 should give 1333 @ 7-7-7-20 or 7-7-7-24 one of those. XMP 2 with 1600mhz set should be 9-9-9-27. 1.50 at 1333 may be fine and if you overclock baseclock 1.55-1.6 unless you end up running 1600mhz then youd need 1.55-1.6 and baseclock overclock 1.6-1.65v

I dont use auto on volts unless you want 1.5v which you can select manually anyway. The mhz i recomend you set that too manually. If you leave timings at default they may be looser latency and be more stable but the XMP presets are sure to work decent.

Edited by mw86

cpuz reads the data tables the ram specifies but does not show the current volts for real so yes cpuz always done that. I have 1.6v set right now on mine and 1.5v is shown in cpuz. The solution is simple download intel extreme tuning utility 2.1 :) open it hit manual tuning and hit accept the it shows current ram speed, ram timings and current ram volts and accurately :) i think you can open it on non-xm chips :)

http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-discussion/1166-unlocking-tpl-all-cpus-m17x-r3-2920xm-overclocking-potential.html

Link was in my signature ;)

If the M14x unlocked bios is similar and should be... Check this guide here :) may help raise the watts allowed may only be by just a few but even a few is enough to see your turbo speeds consistently :)

Doesnt svl7's BIOS mod for overvolting the GPU say it's unlocked?

Idk, I am heading to bed now, I will use the XTU's AutoTune with "Aggressively Over Specifications" and the 140-260min timeframe

autotune is not going to work unless upon every reboot you set the bios changes XTU requested as XTU cannot change everything itself. I did it once was pian and all it set was 10.3 baseclock and 1.6v on ram... set my 1600mhz ram to 1067... what a joke your better off manually tuning and testing yourself. i can post my log from it... pretty pathetic results it gave... autotune is most likely best for Intel Motherboards in a desktop computer.

honestly 97amp is the default for an m18x with xm cant say what your defult is no ones confirmed it to my knowledge. Try 130amps like widezu's post and see if turbo boost speeds are maintained and seen more ;)

Yes autotune fail! Like is said i got it through the short time one succesful and it was lame i had to every restart switch bios to what it was trying to change.

Perhaps changing the baseclock is something you should be careful of by doing that every component in system is being overclocked. 3mhz could be too much id play at 100.5-100.1 and see how things run if you do change it. The amps and watts are mostly unchangeable on nonxm but watts when raised might allow your cpu to see maybe 1-2 watts more than normal at most... So same with amps it doesnt use higher speeds than chip is designed but doing so should theoretically allow turbo to be used even under heavier loads. Did you check that entire thread i posted link to above it explains atleast a fair amount. Im not experienced on non xm and am basing on what i read. Perhaps Widezu can explain sone tricks for getting more ump from non xm @Widezu