[Solved] M17x-R1 Performance Issues

he_iz_legend

Well my point is, there might be something buggy with the CURRENT version of the driver. What makes you think this is not the case? (It happened to me few times last few months with AMD drivers.)

To figure out whether it is the CPU or GPU that is throttling you could run a CPU-based test such as wPrime and compare the result with someone else with a similar CPU (I'm sure Googling it you can find someone else's score with that CPU). For GPU, you can run any of the GPU benchmarks such as 3DMark06 or 3DMark Vantage and compare them with the scores here: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M - Notebookcheck.net Tech , they should be about the same.

My 3dmark06 score was 10800

My first run wPrime score was 37 seconds running the 32m test

I ran it a couple more times and achieved 32 seconds score. The first test I opened up a google chrome window during it so I don't know if it was a fluke with me messing with it, or some kind of indicator.

The 3dmark score is above average and close to the higher range

As far as I could tell the wprime score was low, I saw a lot of ranges around the 32 seconds, but I honestly don't know exactly what I'm looking at. Seems it might be slow.

I also tried disabling my audio device thinking maybe it was some sort of audio problem, but it didn't change anything. I run red orchestra 2 usually around 50 fps, every 5 seconds or So i see a noticeable little hitch/stutter and a frame drop of about 10 frames. This occurs in other games such as league of legends and halflife 2.

Edited by he_iz_legend

use wprime 1024m and use throttle stop to see if the column showing chipmod or clockmod says anything other than 100% by end of 1024m test if its overheating to much i that kind of test it may be throttling cpu and would mean temps need improvement... either repaste, cleaning dust out of cooling heatsink fins or even making sure rear of laptop is raised so allow proper air flow.

Downloads | Tech|Inferno

Ran the test, max temp was 57, never saw any of the 100s change. I keep my laptop propped up constantly.

One thing I did notice is that the multiplier seems to run at 9.0. When I check "set multiplier" and have it at 9.5 I see the FID's go a little above 9.0 but never above 9.10. They bounce back and forth between 9.04-9.08 usually. Also in the Nvidia performance panel it says the CPU multiplier is 9.0. Is that normal or is it supposed to be 9.5?

Edited by he_iz_legend

Ran the test, max temp was 57, never saw any of the 100s change. I keep my laptop propped up constantly.

One thing I did notice is that the multiplier seems to run at 9.0. When I check "set multiplier" and have it at 9.5 I see the FID's go a little above 9.0 but never above 9.10. They bounce back and forth between 9.04-9.08 usually. Also in the Nvidia performance panel it says the CPU multiplier is 9.0. Is that normal or is it supposed to be 9.5?

its normal your cpu will run 2.4ghz stock and when 1 of 2 cores are inactive the other can run at 9.5 multiplier for 2.53ghz :) go ahead leave it checked like you said agt the top multiplier it will keep it running at max speed and leave throttle stop turned on. Based upon those results your cpu runs very cool and there is a none issue of cpu throttling :)

As i mentioned if bios had those options your cpu supports dual ida allowing both cores to run at 2.53ghz but since you cant change those options as you saw it running is normal and how it will have to be. Maybe from here the sluggish performance is gpu related. Could be certain gpu effects that are casuing hiccups not familiar with same games but AA, AF, HBAO, post processing are all performance killers. Resolution matters lowering resolution slightly can go from easily playable to a slide show :( id look into optimizing in game settings and the gpus settings itself. Tell global nvidia settings to not use tripple buffering, to not render any frames ahead of cpu and make sure performance is set in that menu from balanced or compatibily mode to high performance :) anyone else have suggestions?

Can you post a screenshot of what Throttle Stop looks like for you? If EIST and Cstates are not greyed out and checked you can uncheck them so they are both off... If you can do that it wont matter that you dont have those options available in the bios :)

Can you post a screenshot of what Throttle Stop looks like for you? If EIST and Cstates are not greyed out and checked you can uncheck them so they are both off... If you can do that it wont matter that you dont have those options available in the bios :)

Here it is, I can check/uncheck C States, but EIST is greyed out.

post-2817-14494992701407_thumb.jpg

yeah that sucks we need both to be uncheckable because one step is have both unchecked... And hit dual ida and i think recheck eist :( sorry bro i see it says higher than a stock cpu of your model you should see 2.4ghz at 9 multi and 2.53ghz at 9.5 so you have your baseclock overclocked perhaps via bios or some boost function of the R1? Either way thats cool in its self :)

yeah that sucks we need both to be uncheckable because one step is have both unchecked... And hit dual ida and i think recheck eist :( sorry bro i see it says higher than a stock cpu of your model you should see 2.4ghz at 9 multi and 2.53ghz at 9.5 so you have your baseclock overclocked perhaps via bios or some boost function of the R1? Either way thats cool in its self :)

Yeah i have my CPU and GPU overclocked ATM.

being Nvidia is there a reason you have Shaders at more than double the core speed. Im no expert but heard its fairly important they are in right ratio of double the core speed.

Can you try the game you had most noticable fps variations and run one with both overclocks going. Second test no cpu overclock but the gpu one still enabled. Third test cpu overclock on and gpu overclock off. 4th test none of the overclocks on. Monitor with Fraps for FPS display and if you really want to see have it log it or something from same point and stop it at same point... compare results and also compare any notable lag issues you may witness. Perhaps out of those 4 one of those will show more lag on one and therefore could start adjusting the component giving issues. Its up to you but before those you could just try setting shaders to double the core instead of a little over. Perhaps the core increase is helping but maybe bandwidth is the issue if you did slight vram overclock perhaps a small amount like 25-50mhz... If its dual rate that would equal a 50-100mhz vram overclock effective measurement. And if that ram is quad data rate then it should be 100-200mhz overclock effective clocks.

Just some ideas to try i know lag can be real frustrating. Not used to that gpu so i dont have advice on whats actually been known to work for it.

@Brian k Is more knowleged on the R1... but i beleive any red at all is a sign of the latency issue and seems it could be the cause of the fps drop. But best hear from an expert on this ;) its probably a driver of some hardware either gpu or even sound card and wifi can cause these.

Edited by mw86

• Founder

The graph looks fine. Some actions (press eject button for example) will trigger a dpc red bar. In a problematic system most of the bars would appear yellow/red. Since the dpc in that model is caused by nvidia drivers I would Try to run a furmark bench and watch dpc.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys, so I was playing league of legends and was badly getting the spikes so I got fed up and did another clean install of windows. From what I can tell so far, this seems to have fixed the problem, whatever it was. I just wanted to say thanks to everybody who spent the time trying to help me fix the problem. I really appreciate the help.

• Thumbs Up 1