Setting up a new router

Jimbo

Giving my mate an old(ish) Linksys/Cisco WRT310N I had around (unit + power only) to replace his aging g only belkin POS.

This may seem like a silly question, but I've never done it before. :)

Do I just uninstall the old drivers, install the new ones and replace the router in the network? Or do I have to piss about with making a whole new network?

I won't have a huge amount of time to do it, so I want to be 100% ready (as much as possible).

Thanks guys

I never had any drivers for the router. Basically all that I changed when I replaced mine was set up a port forwarding settings, wireless settings etc. It's basically just plug-n-play. But maybe I missed what you're asked; if so correct me. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

So simply put, let's say you want to connect with Windows Remote Desktop Connection to my M17x laptop which is connected to my local network (as well as 2 other computers) and then to the internet through the network router. The only thing that is visible for anyone on the internet directly is my router. So if you want to do Remote Desktop on one of my computers you can't access either directly, you can only get to router and then the router somehow has to know what do you want and to which computer that information has to be sent. So you basically connect to my router to a certain "port" -- it's not a physical plug, but rather a number representing an abstract "port" (it has to do with the organization of network structure of the internet). The router then has table which says something like "if you receive a request on port 3389, send it to a computer in local LAN on the local IP 192.168.1.2." and lets say my M17x has that local IP. Then you can connect, using my router as an exactly what its name says a "router" to route all data you send with a mark "port 22" on computer with IP 192.168.1.2.

Port forwarding is typically needed also if you want to play a game with your friend over the internet directly, without using intermediate servers. (In that case, one player hosts the game -- a server, and another player or players connect -- clients.)

If you're really interesting you should read some beginner book on TCP/IP. "Cool stuff, bro." ;)

• Thumbs Up 3

yup port forwarding is great... for those who use a remoted connection from phone to pc to control it some need to utilize port forwarding to accomplish this... and i can say from experience its sometimes not clear to set up but when it is... the results are amazing. WP7 to PC, Android to PC, Blackberry, Tablets, Apple devices etc etc

• Founder

although lately most programs and routers support UPNP (a protocol that allows programs to configure the router automatically for port forwarding and more) and there's less and less need for hardcoded port forwarding, it is still needed in some cases.

@unreal25 gave a great explanation like always! :)

• Thumbs Up 1