Jump to content
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
jambalaya

GS60 970m 3gb vbios unlock?

Recommended Posts

hi @Klem

 

I bought a used GE62 2QF (970m) when i was testing it , it throttle alot when i reach 87c from clock 1038 to 747.

Bios version is 84.04.26.00.29

Its the last vBios in Msi website but there is a newer one 84.04.91.00.0E but dont know if it will be compatible with my GPU :frantics: 

 

5a15f64a83689_stock970m.gif.25be5f479c5708e5cd750f7ffc261aad.gif

is there a way to remove thermal limitation?

thx for time.

 

regards.

 

Edit: I just updated my vBios to 84.04.91.00.0E (attached) but no change,still throttle at 87c.

 

 

84.04.91.00.0E.rom

Edited by ZoOLf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ZoOLf said:

hi @Klem

 

I bought a used GE62 2QF (970m) when i was testing it , it throttle alot when i reach 87c from clock 1038 to 747.

Bios version is 84.04.26.00.29

Its the last vBios in Msi website but there is a newer one 84.04.91.00.0E but dont know if it will be compatible with my GPU :frantics: 

 

5a15f64a83689_stock970m.gif.25be5f479c5708e5cd750f7ffc261aad.gif

is there a way to remove thermal limitation?

thx for time.

 

regards.

 

Edit: I just updated my vBios to 84.04.91.00.0E (attached) but no change,still throttle at 87c.

 

 

84.04.91.00.0E.rom

Hi!

Ok. Check PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Klem!I hope you can save the day)I`m looking for a custom VBIOS for my MSI gs60-6qe(4K) 6700hq with 970m 3gb.

BIOS version is 84.04.85.00.33

Edited by Ka1n

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ka1n said:

Hello Klem!I hope you can save the day)I`m looking for a custom VBIOS for my MSI gs60-6qe(4K) 6700hq with 970m 3gb.

BIOS version is 84.04.85.00.33

Hi!

Ok. Check your PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! Im using a MSI GS60 6QD (965m) and is it possible that I can get an unlocked vbios with features such as turning off nvidia (for battery conservation) and some other possible things?

Quote

 

 

vbios.rom

Edited by autindesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, autindesign said:

Hi! Im using a MSI GS60 6QD (965m) and is it possible that I can get an unlocked vbios with features such as turning off nvidia (for battery conservation) and some other possible things?

 

vbios.rom

Hi!

No, unlocked vbios can help you for overclock your nvidia card, but can't help with turning off Nvidia card.

If you, for any reason, like to disable Nvidia card, you can try to do it in Windows device manager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, i have a MSI GS60 2QE Ghost Pro 4K with the 970M 6GB variant. Is it possible if you can unlock my vbios for me? I am running BIOS version 84.04.26.00.13 

 

GM204.rom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nuke46 said:

Hi, i have a MSI GS60 2QE Ghost Pro 4K with the 970M 6GB variant. Is it possible if you can unlock my vbios for me? I am running BIOS version 84.04.26.00.13 

 

GM204.rom

Hi!

Your mod vbios done. Check PM.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jawad said:

Hi @Klem

 

I have GE72 2QF apache pro with GTX 970m 3GB. BIOS version is "84.04.26.00.29" and is uploaded to below link.

 

It would be so nice of you if you may help unlocking it. Original vBios is uploaded to below link.

 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cg7ekulm5z2zkra/N16E-GT_84.04.26.00.29.zip?dl=0

 

Regards,

Jawad 

Hi!

Ok. Check PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

**NOTE**

@Klem - Sorry to tag you, but you keep popping up around here - You appear to be, "The Authority" on BIOS modifications [Apart from another chap called Svet - you guys both seem to be the gurus]. 

 

Please leave any comments as you feel free. You don't need to reveal any secrets if you don't want to - I guess that would ruin your mystery/magic/mojo! 

 

INTRO: 

I've had this laptop for a couple of years and decided to squeeze some more juice out of it - I was bored and playing some Nintendo games via emulator and noticed that I was getting less-than-stellar performance when compared to my desktop PC [which has an original GTX Titan of which I've heavily modded the BIOS (+30% performance)], so decided to do some tinkering.

 

I don't know "The Rules" when it comes to posting up pictures of Maxwell BIOS Editor configurations or ROM files - But I won't publicly link to my BIOS or settings online in this thread, until I know The Rules.

 

If I'm allowed to post up configuration photos as a rough-guide, please let me know. I will not link to my BIOS, personally. I won't be held responsible if you manage to fry your laptop.

 

If you haven't used compressed air for a while - or ever - I highly recommend it before you start considering modding your BIOS, you'll be surprised at two things:

  1. How much dust actually comes out (and remember, how small the fins are here)
  2. How much extra heat is exponentially generated by ramping up the Voltage. 
    1. I'm not new to BIOS modifications, or overclocking, but if you are, then you have a lot to learn about heat - it is the devil! 

 

POST:

Hey, a thread - with lots of replies - with my laptop in it!  As you can guess, I've just edited my BIOS using the Maxwell BIOS editor - Yes, it works [woohoo]. I'm still in the testing benchmark stages, so the below values are privy to change.

 

I've been testing these values against Unigine Heaven:

 

Preset: Custom

API: DX11

Quality: Ultra

Tessellation: Extreme

Stereo 3D: Disabled.

Multi-Monitor: Disabled.

Full Screen: No

Resolution: 1920x1080

 

I've currently got a stable BIOS-level P0 OC of:

 

Core: 1240MHz

 

It runs at 1200-1300MHz; including +100MHz offset. Yes, I'm setting an offset against my modded BIOS default of 1200MHz - There's a reason.

 

The frequency actually jumps around thanks to the thermal limitations generated by the insane heat in this little chassis. Strangely, the 'default' clock is 1240MHz but runs at 1230MHz, so a +10MHz is a must

 

Memory: 2505MHz [Offset to 2705MHz (+200MHz)]

 

@Klem can correct me if I'm wrong, but on NVIDIA cards, video memory Voltages are "set-in-stone" - you can't really modify them? I haven't spoken to any NV engineers about this, but I imagine that it's hardcoded from the chip supplier (Samsung, Hilinx, et al.)

 

If the above is correct, increasing the memory clocks it can generate extra heat, regardless, because we can't under-Volt the memory. You may not always need an extreme memory OC either, it can result in diminishing returns, for instance:

 

A 500MHz overclock on your memory may only net you +5FPS, whereas a 150MHz OC on your core could net you +10FPS (This is a wild example, but is the expected norm)

 

A balance is required here, but your GPU-core comes first and any memory OC is a bonus. 

 

Vcore: V1.031 (@1200MHz)

 

This jumps mainly down to between V0.993 and V1.018 - this is partly due to the settings I've created in the BIOS, but is most likely down to some low-level trickery that NV have instilled as protection. Regardless, my GPU still runs at 1200-1300MHz.

 

There is some very clever (electrical and thermal protection) work being performed by NVIDIA (and will require some serious fine-tuning, which I don't have the time for just now).

 

I haven't explored the possibility of modifying the MSI (EC?) BIOS to amend the fan profiles - Therefore, I'm not aware if we can improve the cooling further by forcing the fan to run at an even higher Current (higher RPM).

 

Let me know if anyone is interested in either the settings of the BIOS or learning how to edit their BIOS.

 

Conclusion:

My 970M has these stats, as a rule of thumb - thermal throttling at 85C:

 

Core: 1200-1300MHz / 0.981-1.018V

Mem: 2705MHz

 

N.B.

As per above, there is probably some Voltage tuning that can be performed, but that takes a lot of time, please don't expect me to mess around with that in depth. 

 

I've got two BIOS' set up insofar, one which is rather aggressive up to the thermal limit and one which will sit under (or near) that target. 

 

There isn't a lot of GS60 6QE information around, so I'm going on my own research here. 

 

P.S

With these numbers, the performance should be closer to a GTX 980m. But even with the Voltage at V1.xxx it's hitting 85C under Unigine Heaven - You'd probably not want to push it much harder than that, especially not 1.2V. 

 

I haven't attacked the BIOS with a hex-editor, and I don't particularly want to. This card in this chassis is pushed to the extremes with the Maxwell BIOS editor.

Edited by HarryPothead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HarryPothead said:

**NOTE**

@Klem - Sorry to tag you, but you keep popping up around here - You appear to be, "The Authority" on BIOS modifications [Apart from another chap called Svet - you guys both seem to be the gurus]. 

 

Please leave any comments as you feel free. You don't need to reveal any secrets if you don't want to - I guess that would ruin your mystery/magic/mojo! 

 

INTRO: 

I've had this laptop for a couple of years and decided to squeeze some more juice out of it - I was bored and playing some Nintendo games via emulator and noticed that I was getting less-than-stellar performance when compared to my desktop PC [which has an original GTX Titan of which I've heavily modded the BIOS (+30% performance)], so decided to do some tinkering.

 

I don't know "The Rules" when it comes to posting up pictures of Maxwell BIOS Editor configurations or ROM files - But I won't publicly link to my BIOS or settings online in this thread, until I know The Rules.

 

If I'm allowed to post up configuration photos as a rough-guide, please let me know. I will not link to my BIOS, personally. I won't be held responsible if you manage to fry your laptop.

 

If you haven't used compressed air for a while - or ever - I highly recommend it before you start considering modding your BIOS, you'll be surprised at two things:

  1. How much dust actually comes out (and remember, how small the fins are here)
  2. How much extra heat is exponentially generated by ramping up the Voltage. 
    1. I'm not new to BIOS modifications, or overclocking, but if you are, then you have a lot to learn about heat - it is the devil! 

 

POST:

Hey, a thread - with lots of replies - with my laptop in it!  As you can guess, I've just edited my BIOS using the Maxwell BIOS editor - Yes, it works [woohoo]. I'm still in the testing benchmark stages, so the below values are privy to change.

 

I've been testing these values against Unigine Heaven:

 

Preset: Custom

API: DX11

Quality: Ultra

Tessellation: Extreme

Stereo 3D: Disabled.

Multi-Monitor: Disabled.

Full Screen: No

Resolution: 1920x1080

 

I've currently got a stable BIOS-level P0 OC of:

 

Core: 1240MHz

 

It runs at 1200-1300MHz; including +100MHz offset. Yes, I'm setting an offset against my modded BIOS default of 1200MHz - There's a reason.

 

The frequency actually jumps around thanks to the thermal limitations generated by the insane heat in this little chassis. Strangely, the 'default' clock is 1240MHz but runs at 1230MHz, so a +10MHz is a must

 

Memory: 2505MHz [Offset to 2705MHz (+200MHz)]

 

@Klem can correct me if I'm wrong, but on NVIDIA cards, video memory Voltages are "set-in-stone" - you can't really modify them? I haven't spoken to any NV engineers about this, but I imagine that it's hardcoded from the chip supplier (Samsung, Hilinx, et al.)

 

If the above is correct, increasing the memory clocks it can generate extra heat, regardless, because we can't under-Volt the memory. You may not always need an extreme memory OC either, it can result in diminishing returns, for instance:

 

A 500MHz overclock on your memory may only net you +5FPS, whereas a 150MHz OC on your core could net you +10FPS (This is a wild example, but is the expected norm)

 

A balance is required here, but your GPU-core comes first and any memory OC is a bonus. 

 

Vcore: V1.031 (@1200MHz)

 

This jumps mainly down to between V0.993 and V1.018 - this is partly due to the settings I've created in the BIOS, but is most likely down to some low-level trickery that NV have instilled as protection. Regardless, my GPU still runs at 1200-1300MHz.

 

There is some very clever (electrical and thermal protection) work being performed by NVIDIA (and will require some serious fine-tuning, which I don't have the time for just now).

 

I haven't explored the possibility of modifying the MSI (EC?) BIOS to amend the fan profiles - Therefore, I'm not aware if we can improve the cooling further by forcing the fan to run at an even higher Current (higher RPM).

 

Let me know if anyone is interested in either the settings of the BIOS or learning how to edit their BIOS.

 

Conclusion:

My 970M has these stats, as a rule of thumb - thermal throttling at 85C:

 

Core: 1200-1300MHz / 0.981-1.018V

Mem: 2705MHz

 

N.B.

As per above, there is probably some Voltage tuning that can be performed, but that takes a lot of time, please don't expect me to mess around with that in depth. 

 

I've got two BIOS' set up insofar, one which is rather aggressive up to the thermal limit and one which will sit under (or near) that target. 

 

There isn't a lot of GS60 6QE information around, so I'm going on my own research here. 

 

P.S

With these numbers, the performance should be closer to a GTX 980m. But even with the Voltage at V1.xxx it's hitting 85C under Unigine Heaven - You'd probably not want to push it much harder than that, especially not 1.2V. 

 

I haven't attacked the BIOS with a hex-editor, and I don't particularly want to. This card in this chassis is pushed to the extremes with the Maxwell BIOS editor.

What score do you get in FireStrike or Heaven with the overclocked GPU?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spunky said:

What score do you get in FireStrike or Heaven with the overclocked GPU?

 

frPIeZv.jpg

Heaven_vBIOS: Core: 1240 +100 Offset / Mem:2505 [NoMemOffset]

 

WIZfmVn.jpg

Heaven_vBIOS: Core: 1240 +100 Offset / Mem:2505 +200 Offset

 

As per my previous post - I'm using a rather aggressive set of Voltages on the GPU (for stability) and it gets throttled back from 1340MHz back to around 1200~1300MHz - I'd need to create a graph on Inspector. You have to remember, that the benchmark is absolutely tanking the card - and really peaking the temperatures.

 

I've not really spec'd the Voltages any higher than 1240MHz, really - They're all set to the same range; or odd ranges. I need to refine the CLK Voltage stepping to ensure the card runs stable when switching frequencies - especially when using the core offset. It's time consuming to modify each individual CLK voltage.

 

P.S

I'm also running ThrottleStop [similar to the Xtreme Tuning Utility from Intel] in order to stop the PROCHOT signal from being sent.

Edited by HarryPothead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HarryPothead said:

 

frPIeZv.jpg

Heaven_vBIOS: Core: 1240 +100 Offset / Mem:2505 [NoMemOffset]

 

WIZfmVn.jpg

Heaven_vBIOS: Core: 1240 +100 Offset / Mem:2505 +200 Offset

 

As per my previous post - I'm using a rather aggressive set of Voltages on the GPU (for stability) and it gets throttled back from 1340MHz back to around 1200~1300MHz - I'd need to create a graph on Inspector. You have to remember, that the benchmark is absolutely tanking the card - and really peaking the temperatures.

 

I've not really spec'd the Voltages any higher than 1240MHz, really - They're all set to the same range; or odd ranges. I need to refine the CLK Voltage stepping to ensure the card runs stable when switching frequencies - especially when using the core offset. It's time consuming to modify each individual CLK voltage.

 

P.S

I'm also running ThrottleStop [similar to the Xtreme Tuning Utility from Intel] in order to stop the PROCHOT signal from being sent.

2

GPU starts throttling at 85C(Starts reducing voltage and since one of the boost clock reasons is Vrel, it reduces boost clock) . You can make custom FAN curves using the MSI Dragon Center, however, maximum RPMs are 6000.

 

2018_03_31_6.png

 

I am using stock vBIOS overclocked by MSI afterburner

 

+135mhz CORE only (click "load full resolution" to see clocks and temps)

 

gpu.png

 

+135mhz CORE / +250 Mhz Memory. (click "load full resolution" to see clocks and temps)

 

gpu_mem.png

 

You are getting nearly the same results but 10C higher temps.

 

The problem with overclocking is that you are getting really small % increase in the exchange of high temps and voltage. I gave up overclocking mobile GPUs. 

 

 

 

Edited by Spunky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Spunky said:

GPU starts throttling at 85C(Starts reducing voltage and since one of the boost clock reasons is Vrel, it reduces boost clock) . You can make custom FAN curves using the MSI Dragon Center, however, maximum RPMs are 6000.

 

2018_03_31_6.png

 

 You have got to be shitting me..

 

Why is the (absolutely useless!) Dragon Gaming Centre (Center, whatever) the only program 'advertised' as a Utility download for this model?! 

 

I've been wrongfully robbed of useful features all this time! 

 

A new run with custom fan profiles enabled:

 

VlbG7ah.jpg

Edited by HarryPothead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Abr said:

Hey @Klem, hi :) Can you help me with my vBIOS? Can you mod it? Thank you!

 

GTX970m

970m.rom

Hi!

Done. Check your PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Klem

I'm really hoping that you can help me out here. I have a Asus g751jt-ch71 witch has the 3gb model of the gtx 970 m with gsync. I really would like to get a unlocked vbios for this gpu that won't disable the gsync or anything. I really think that I have gotten a golden sample because while the core clock can only go up to 1:35 due to vbios restraints I have so far been able to push the memory to + 850 megahertz with no issues. So I'd really like to see how far I can push this thing with unlocked vbios

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, daatguyo said:

Hi @Klem

I'm really hoping that you can help me out here. I have a Asus g751jt-ch71 witch has the 3gb model of the gtx 970 m with gsync. I really would like to get a unlocked vbios for this gpu that won't disable the gsync or anything. I really think that I have gotten a golden sample because while the core clock can only go up to 1:35 due to vbios restraints I have so far been able to push the memory to + 850 megahertz with no issues. So I'd really like to see how far I can push this thing with unlocked vbios

Hi!

Check your PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Klem maybe you could help me out getting a fully unlocked Bios for my MSI Ghost GS60 6qe?

BIOS Version:                 E16H7IMS.117
CPU:                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Graphics:                     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M, 3072 MB
VBIOS Version:                84.04.85.00.33,3145728

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MikeyLP said:

Hi @Klem maybe you could help me out getting a fully unlocked Bios for my MSI Ghost GS60 6qe?

BIOS Version:                 E16H7IMS.117
CPU:                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Graphics:                     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M, 3072 MB
VBIOS Version:                84.04.85.00.33,3145728

Hi!

You mean unlock main system bios? Or vBIOS from GTX 970M?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Klem said:

Hi!

You mean unlock main system bios? Or vBIOS from GTX 970M?

I want to unlock fully potential to overclock boost CPU/GPU temp, MHz Core/Mem, Voltage etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MikeyLP said:

I want to unlock fully potential to overclock boost CPU/GPU temp, MHz Core/Mem, Voltage etc

Unfortunately, I'm not an overclocker, and not a gamer, I'm just a software engineer, so I can't help you with any overclocking. I can only unlock the hidden menus and settings in the main system BIOS of the laptop, and some overclocking settings in the video card's BIOS for overclocking using the Nvidia Inspector utility.
I want to especially note that the BIOS of a laptop is very different from the BIOS of a regular desktop computer, it does not provide simple options for overclocking. Also, any incorrect change of even one setting in the BIOS of a laptop can lead to black/blank screen or to the inability to start laptop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MikeyLP said:

I want to unlock fully potential to overclock boost CPU/GPU temp, MHz Core/Mem, Voltage etc

 

Unlocking MSI gaming bios:

 

go in Bios:

 

then press at the same time:

 

left "ctrl" + "alt gr' + right "shift" and the "F2"

sorry Left "alt" + right "Ctrl" + Right "shift" and then "F2" at the same time (allways got trouble to remember exactly the combo, i do it by reflex)

 

this is a service combo, unhidding everything in the bios, including dangerous things or simply things that didn't work at all, but this way i have fixed my CPU undervolt, tighten Ram timings or configuring XMP profiles, re enable some VT-features and so on

 

things are still saved but options disapear at reboot if you don't enter once again that key combo

 

do it at your own risk, none there will be responsive of any bad use (for example, don't try to disable integrated graphics, screen not linked to dGPU)

 

for GPU optimisation, better thinker with maxwell bios editor using a GPU-z bios backup and nvflash to put it in place, overclocking is not a good thing on a laptop even more on GS, that aren't already able to cool everything at stock

 

better results by doing an undervolt than overclocking (less throttle, less heat, less power draw leads to better results) and overclocking memory to a safe 3500MHz (as long as MSI is using 7GHz GDDR5 memory chips, same as regular desktop GTX 960)

Edited by SoftReaper
error checking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.