M17x R3 460M video goes black during game play

Djaru

Guys, I have a M17x R3 with a 460M, the unit works well with normal windows tasks, internet video, etc. but when I try to play a video game, DIRT3, it plays great at first, then in the middle of playing the screen goes black, and I notice that the area where the gpu is at is very hot. after a reboot the units works well again, except for when I try to play again. Is this a GPU overheating issue, or something else? and what can I do about it. I have the latest bios, vbios, and drivers installed.

Thanks guys.

Check your temps. Also there's a vbios update available for this card on Dells site, I highly recommend flashing the new vbios if you haven't done this already, might solve some issues.

okay if your overclocked and its happening when heatted up the overclock especially core mhz can cause that same issue.. currently working on 24/7 overclock on my 6970m's and using BF3 for hours on end to test... and while my core is too high eventually my 3d image dissapears and goes to black screen so if overclocking lower the core a little. but if not follow the above advice to check... vbios update... drivers etc. then if still trouble please post a pic of a gpu temp over a little 3d gaming... can be using hwinfo or gpuz...

I also have dirt 3 and same thing can happen... but not sure yet if you were overclocking.

• 2 weeks later...