14" HP 430 - Core i5 2430M(upgraded to i7-2670qm)- NVIDIA GTX 950- EXP GDC BEAST v8.0 - 8 GB RAM - 120GB SSD - (working)

---updated-----

see below---

Hi all 

i want to share my experience for you that want to implement egpu on HP430 laptop. since HP 430 has many variant, so i think this method can be implemented to other such as HP 630/631 or 431. or wether the i5 atau the i3 version. you can try;)

here are my system

Laptop Name :HP 430 A

Processor: i5-2430m (dual core) --- update(upgrade to i7-2670qm)

igpu: intel HD 3000 

no dgpu ( i don't know for other variant that has dgpu, i think it might work, just try disable the dgpu from setup 1.3)

RAM : 8gb

Harddisk: upgraded to SSD sandiks 120gb

EXP GDC beast v8.0 via mpcie (2gen)

egpu: gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 950OC 2gb (i was afraid to test better card since no guarantee it might be worked)

psu: corsair VS450 (450 watt, i don't like it because the cables are undetachable)

The step:(updated see below)

1. pin22 isolation to pass boot screen related to black bootup. i set to 14s delay in switch

2. setup 1.3 (for 1.2 optimus(?), bought it because the wifi mpcie port is whitelisted but then used bios mod instead)

3. bios mod (yeah as other hp laptop, HP sucks! need this mod to overcome mpcie whitelist) got from here. Thanks to kopter3161 to make bios downgrade is much simpler for noob.

from setup 1.3 i can see my TOLUD size is 2.7. but because of my curiosity, i tried to overide my DSDT to see large memory input in device manager. Therefore, i can do 56gb compaction

setup 1.3: PCI compaction at 56gb. (as in setup 1.3 help, it's number #1) pcie port: gen 2 speed.

i dont know if i can increase the performance more, in 3dmark bench mark i got around 11000 in skydiver and around 4400 in firestrike.

Thanks all

---------------------------

update

recently upgrade my processor to i7-2760qm and the laptop is frequently hang after start up.

I managed to make it stable. even now i dont use setup 1.3x anymore.

here the step

1. isolate pin22

2. set exp gdc to left.

3. downgrade the bios as i mentioned above. and in BIOS setting, set the pcie port(my wifi port is port3) to enable hotplug.

4. dsdt overide to show large memory.

5. disable fastboot.

i compare the gen2 and gen1 but the result is same so I don't use setup 1.3x anymore. 

---update-----

- i Found the EXP GDC is not stable if we using another usb especially  USB wifi dongle. I read a thread here that suggest to use powered USB Hub. now i never found hang/BSOD anymore guys.

- i see significant increase of performance when i use external monitor. in skydiver 3dmark it increase to 14.500 from 12.400

Edited by diabloretriever
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/28/2017 at 5:55 AM, druna27 said:

Hello, my notebook same as you. I want to to follow your instruction. Can I use internal monitor?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

yes of course. you can use internal monitor.

i strongly suggest you to use PE4C instead of exp gdc since the exp gdc is very unstable.

Recently, I bought exp gdc v8.4d, The different between your instruction is no need block pin22. I can't detect my gpu just plug and play. Would you like to send me bios configuration?

Hp 430: upgarde i5 2520m
Exp gdc + inno3d gtx 750 ti oc

in bios, i just changed the pcie setting to enable hotplug. no other settings are changed.

I conduct my bios experiment. I change video configuration> enable special feature> there are igfx,peg,pci.

When I change to igfx, I can use internal and external graphics (extend screen monitor+internal display), but my egpu (checked in GPUz) is not able to use cuda and opencl. There are no check marks.

The case is different if I put pci on bios menu. I use egpu with monitor and work fine.

Sometimes I got trouble with setup 1.3, blankscreen after test chainloader. I use win 7. Would you like to send me some pictures about your hp430 notebook?

7 hours ago, druna27 said:

I conduct my bios experiment. I change video configuration> enable special feature> there are igfx,peg,pci.

When I change to igfx, I can use internal and external graphics (extend screen monitor+internal display), but my egpu (checked in GPUz) is not able to use cuda and opencl. There are no check marks.

The case is different if I put pci on bios menu. I use egpu with monitor and work fine.

Sometimes I got trouble with setup 1.3, blankscreen after test chainloader. I use win 7. Would you like to send me some pictures about your hp430 notebook?

here my laptop : http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5086556

I have repaint it and make several changes with its appearance so the laptop does not show as years ago. so i think it's better to show you the original one.

i did not change anything in bios except the hotplug setting.

about the cuda and opencl, i have never checked about that setting. however, i use extended screen/display as well as you described ( i am using internal display and external display ). i can check this after i back to my home

now i dont use setup 1.30 anymore which i found  more practical and only has slightly difference in performance.

here my laptop : http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5086556

I have repaint it and make several changes with its appearance so the laptop does not show as years ago. so i think it's better to show you the original one.

i did not change anything in bios except the hotplug setting.

about the cuda and opencl, i have never checked about that setting. however, i use extended screen/display as well as you described ( i am using internal display and external display ). i can check this after i back to my home

now i dont use setup 1.30 anymore which i found  more practical and only has slightly difference in performance.

Oh my god. Same as you, the series notebook hp 430, I also repaint my notebook. Fortunately, I upgrade default cpu (i3 2310m) to i5 2520m. When I get turbo boost, the laptop always shutdown. Then I turn off it by change priority performance. Do you get faster cpu by i7? It is worth or not?

Okay, I understand. Have you made dsdt override for your notebook?

When I plug usb keyboard, I got hang. Should I use powered usb?

6 hours ago, druna27 said:

Oh my god. Same as you, the series notebook hp 430, I also repaint my notebook. Fortunately, I upgrade default cpu (i3 2310m) to i5 2520m. When I get turbo boost, the laptop always shutdown. Then I turn off it by change priority performance. Do you get faster cpu by i7? It is worth or not?

Okay, I understand. Have you made dsdt override for your notebook?

When I plug usb keyboard, I got hang. Should I use powered usb?

wow glad to hear that our notebook is same :)) we could collaborate further!

i have checked the gpu-z. it said it enables CUDA and openCL on my egpu (gtx 950)

in regards of cpu upgrade, it depends on your gpu. if it is bottlenecking the gpu, you should upgrade your cpu. As in my case, when i check it when playing the witcher 3, the cpu usage was almost 100% in all cores. therefore, cpu upgrading is mandatory.

One should bear in mind when upgrading the cpu to four cores cpu is about the fastboot. In my experience, when i upgrade to i7 (four cores) the windows automatically enable the fastboot which frequently hang the windows immediately after started. (well it is my hypothesis from my reading/experience since i am not an IT expert, yet it  seems proved to be true hehehe) 

after upgrading the cpu, the FPS of the game was increase significantly ( 30-40 fps in DOTA2)

yes i overide my dsdt but only modifying it for showing large memory (step 4)

i think you should use powered USB hub. It is because that in my experience, most of the time when i plugged an USB, the BSOD comes, and it is much obvious when it is a power-hungry USB. some users here also reported this as well (i am sorry i forgot the threads). This may conclude that EX GDC has very unstable build. Moreover, when i  accidentally touched the PCIE acble, sometimes it comes to BSOD.

6 hours ago, druna27 said:

In the first paragraph you said that you run egpu by setup 1.3 to get gen 2 pci e and pci compaction. I just wonder you do that. Actually I make 2 comparison between with or without setup 1.3, the result is better to use setup 1.3 when I play dirt3, the game run smooth.

But the problem is I should open setup 1.3 and run test chainloader. Without test, I failed to boot (even automatically startup.bat). I think that you make some configuration

i also make a comparison, but in my case, there are not much different. only 100 point difference in 3Dmark (for more objective comparison).

in order to recognize the port to gen 2, i just did the pcie 2 gen at the wifi port then i did the compaction. (as far that i can recall since it is about 7 months ago)

On 2/7/2017 at 1:11 AM, diabloretriever said:

wow glad to hear that our notebook is same :)) we could collaborate further!

i have checked the gpu-z. it said it enables CUDA and openCL on my egpu (gtx 950)

in regards of cpu upgrade, it depends on your gpu. if it is bottlenecking the gpu, you should upgrade your cpu. As in my case, when i check it when playing the witcher 3, the cpu usage was almost 100% in all cores. therefore, cpu upgrading is mandatory.

One should bear in mind when upgrading the cpu to four cores cpu is about the fastboot. In my experience, when i upgrade to i7 (four cores) the windows automatically enable the fastboot which frequently hang the windows immediately after started. (well it is my hypothesis from my reading/experience since i am not an IT expert, yet it  seems proved to be true hehehe) 

after upgrading the cpu, the FPS of the game was increase significantly ( 30-40 fps in DOTA2)

yes i overide my dsdt but only modifying it for showing large memory (step 4)

i think you should use powered USB hub. It is because that in my experience, most of the time when i plugged an USB, the BSOD comes, and it is much obvious when it is a power-hungry USB. some users here also reported this as well (i am sorry i forgot the threads). This may conclude that EX GDC has very unstable build. Moreover, when i  accidentally touched the PCIE acble, sometimes it comes to BSOD.

On 2/7/2017 at 1:22 AM, diabloretriever said:

Hello, I'm so sorry. I'm getting sick last week, I can't go anyway. This moment I will reply all your quote.

yeah we can share our knowledge because of same notebook. Honestly, I change to put my primary display as external monitor. I don't want to use internal display because it make me confused. I got error code 12 sometimes, but if I run dsdt override, I can not use my atheros wifi again. I need it to download games in public wifi area. So external display work perfectly.

i5 2520m still good for gaming and rendering, but for next plan I want to follow you to upgrade my cpu regarding bottleneck. Woow.. amazing 100% cpu usage will heat your notebook. When I play game, I chang my cpu priority to 98%, I don't want to turn off Turbo Boost. It is still worth to upgrade cpu, yeah?

Would you like to send me your dsdt override? I also create it and hope can make comparisson with my dsdt.

Did you change heatsink or fan for i7 cpu? I think the temperature will increase due to different processor

I agree with you, exp gdc has unstable but I isolate my highspeed cable to prevent BSOD. The result it work fine. Maybe next week I buy powered usb hub, and try your instruction.

Edited by druna27
addition

On 2/7/2017 at 1:22 AM, diabloretriever said:

i also make a comparison, but in my case, there are not much different. only 100 point difference in 3Dmark (for more objective comparison).

in order to recognize the port to gen 2, i just did the pcie 2 gen at the wifi port then i did the compaction. (as far that i can recall since it is about 7 months ago)

In my case when I play Dirt3. The fps will drop 10-15 frame if I use port gen 1. Yeah, the game still playable to run. I think the problem is bandwith. The gpu can not get full bandwith if it use exp gdc.  

sorry to hear that, hope you getting well

I also make external display as main display(no particular reasons, just to make the game display at the monitor)

yeah, i checked bottlenecking using MSI afterburner. i dont install the turboboost monitor so i dont know wheter it is on or not, however,as long as i can remember, turboboost is managed automatically (cmiiw). so better check it with msiafterburner i suggest before upgrading your cpu. Probably it worth since most of the game now using quadcore cpu to work seamlessly.

Recently, i install again the setup 1.3. Afterthat i compared gen 1 and gen 2 speed which showed no differences in 3dmark.

I think most of HP 430 owner suffer the heat problem LOL, so I customized the heatsink long before cpu upgrade or this egpu project. i make a hole beneath the cpu (on bottom plastic body) and cover it with steel plate with small holes, and connect the main heat sink to this plate with used copper heatsink so the heat can flows from the heatsink to outside. I also put a dust cover under the plate to avoid dust come to the heatsink. with this tweak, i notice considerable decrease of temperature.

i am really sorry that i cant find my dsdt.aml file. have searched it but i dont know where is it. I use this tutorial 

i dont change anything except everything the video instructed. sorry for this

i send it after i found it, maybe somewhere inside one of my usb stick.

wow thats good idea to fixate the cable. i ll try latter. 

here my setup:

DSC_1394.JPG

DSC_1392.JPG

DSC_1393.JPG

Thank you so much. Headache and dizzy sometime. Sorry I can write as long as you.

I have 2 experiment with windows version because I have default 320gb hdd and new 1TB. Here is the result.

1. When I put 1TB+ windows 7 on my HP notebook, it will run smooth. So I check it by GPU Z, everything work fine. I test the notebook to play Dirt3 and got lag something. So I just try to make dsdt override. But the problem was found again when I plug wifi card to boot as internal display. If I boot with egpu everything work fine. Latest, I use windows 7 again and make clean instal without dsdt override and just use setup 1.x.

2. When I put 320Gb+windows 10 on my HP notebook, it will be failed to run my egpu. I got error 43. So I leave it and back to 1Tb+windows 7

this is the reason why I should make comparison with your notebook. You are succeed to make stable egpu.

Wow.. Amazing. You have done reduce the heat problem before conducting egpu project. I should follow you. That's good idea to make notebook cooler than before. May ask you again? I curious about inside of your notebook. The hole look bigger and allow air flow better, but what is the blue? below the hole should fan, so you put heatsink below hole? I hope you give me reference to custom my notebook too. I plan to upgrade cpu same as you and my ram.

Yeah, because I work with keyboard and mouse. It is still enough to power. The case will happen if I put 320Gb (my default hdd as external) to my notebook even though my asus phone as modem. The black screen is random and occour for long time period. I use black tape to avoid movement HDMI cable. The problem is because we use one scrup only and mPCIE look bigger than wifi card. It is risk to get black screen sometime.

4 hours ago, diabloretriever said:

here are the comparison between gen 1(without setup 1.3) and gen 2. there are not much differences

I saw you sre using vga from your gpu to your monitor, isn't it restricting the bandwith?

gen 1.PNG

gen 2.PNG

Please check the graphics score. Like I said before although there is no significant performance the FPS will drop fastly if you play game. Yeah that's not big problem, We still play game so well, right? 

Have you done to make comparison with your gpu run in PC than in your notebook. I've heard that we lost many FPS game because of limited bandwith that we use on notebook. 

Oh I remember. Let me ask you again. When Using internal display like your screenshoot in windows 10, the external display and internal display work as extended monitor. So you active Intel hd 3000?

P_20170214_212853.jpg

P_20170214_212905.jpg

P_20170214_213021.jpg

Here is my bios setting. I If I choose Auto on primary display  (video configuration), I can use my egpu on external video only 100%.

I can use internal and external display (failed to use optimus) if I choose IGFX. I hope you send me your bios configuration like this. I will be waiting for you to do that. Thank you

P_20170214_212928.jpgP_20170214_212945.jpgP_20170214_212953.jpg

Here is my PCIE configuration. Without Setup 1x I can use Gen2 because the bios provide this configuration. Please check it

55.PNG

This is my Egpu

8 hours ago, druna27 said:

I have 2 experiment with windows version because I have default 320gb hdd and new 1TB. Here is the result.

1. When I put 1TB+ windows 7 on my HP notebook, it will run smooth. So I check it by GPU Z, everything work fine. I test the notebook to play Dirt3 and got lag something. So I just try to make dsdt override. But the problem was found again when I plug wifi card to boot as internal display. If I boot with egpu everything work fine. Latest, I use windows 7 again and make clean instal without dsdt override and just use setup 1.x.

2. When I put 320Gb+windows 10 on my HP notebook, it will be failed to run my egpu. I got error 43. So I leave it and back to 1Tb+windows 7

well, i use two harddisks at same time, ssd for sytem and hdd for data using this device: HDD caddy(look for it on google). it lets u to swap ur optical bay to secondary harddisk. i will update my thread then.

I think it's affect the bcd registry or something because when installing setup 1.3, it warns you when you change the ram or the hdd. it  instructs you to run some bat file when you do so(hdd/ram change)

Wow.. Amazing. You have done reduce the heat problem before conducting egpu project. I should follow you. That's good idea to make notebook cooler than before. May ask you again? I curious about inside of your notebook. The hole look bigger and allow air flow better, but what is the blue? below the hole should fan, so you put heatsink below hole? I hope you give me reference to custom my notebook too. I plan to upgrade cpu same as you and my ram.

yes because previously i am used to playing games on this laptop and it  became hot too fast. I will share you the images but maybe at the weekend so i can disassemble my laptop to show the  heatshink scheme.

Yeah, because I work with keyboard and mouse. It is still enough to power. The case will happen if I put 320Gb (my default hdd as external) to my notebook even though my asus phone as modem. The black screen is random and occour for long time period. I use black tape to avoid movement HDMI cable. The problem is because we use one scrup only and mPCIE look bigger than wifi card. It is risk to get black screen sometime.

i cut the body near the mpcie port so the pcie cable could sit perfectly. i am using powered hub since i use many usb: fan, keyboard(need two usb), mouse, bluetooth dongle.

Please check the graphics score. Like I said before although there is no significant performance the FPS will drop fastly if you play game. Yeah that's not big problem, We still play game so well, right? 

Have you done to make comparison with your gpu run in PC than in your notebook. I've heard that we lost many FPS game because of limited bandwith that we use on notebook. 

i think the best way to benchmark your laptop/pc performance is to use benchmarking software beacuse it simulates the game with many feature: you can see fps, usage etc like u are playing game but better because it is standardized. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/benchmark-cpu-gpu-like-pro/

Oh I remember. Let me ask you again. When Using internal display like your screenshoot in windows 10, the external display and internal display work as extended monitor. So you active Intel hd 3000?

yup, the intelHD 300 seems to be activated as well.

Here is my bios setting. I If I choose Auto on primary display  (video configuration), I can use my egpu on external video only 100%.

I can use internal and external display (failed to use optimus) if I choose IGFX. I hope you send me your bios configuration like this. I will be waiting for you to do that. Thank you

i have checked the bios and surprisingly it have not been activating  until now. lol. so the special feature is off.

Here is my PCIE configuration. Without Setup 1x I can use Gen2 because the bios provide this configuration. Please check it

woooooowww thankss. it is really help. i will activate it. below is the image of my bios screenshoot of pcie port. as you can see, all the configurations are same.

DSC_1395.JPGDSC_1396.JPG

DSC_1397.JPG

here my score using gen 2 activated and primary display: auto

i tried it twice and it is shown similar results: the first one is around 14.000 and the second one is around 13800. it might be concluded that my result is same (before turning special feature on). I dont know why, maybe it is because the laptop somehow activating the nvdia as primary display when it is detected

On 2/15/2017 at 5:25 AM, diabloretriever said:

well, i use two harddisks at same time, ssd for sytem and hdd for data using this device: HDD caddy(look for it on google). it lets u to swap ur optical bay to secondary harddisk. i will update my thread then.

I think it's affect the bcd registry or something because when installing setup 1.3, it warns you when you change the ram or the hdd. it  instructs you to run some bat file when you do so(hdd/ram change)

Sorry for delay reply. The weather in my country make me sick again and I just take a rest as well.  Okay, I understand it. It is affect to the HDD and RAM too. In my case, I use my HDD seperately, but now I use 1 TB only. I keep my optical drive because somtimes I use it to backup my files.

yes because previously i am used to playing games on this laptop and it  became hot too fast. I will share you the images but maybe at the weekend so i can disassemble my laptop to show the  heatshink scheme

Oh my God, we can share playable game too. Yeah, recently I just give small fan connect to adapter below the grid fan of my notebook. The temperature does not seem cooler than before but I still use it until now to keep good air flow. Yeah.. guide me to fix the heat problem, I will wait your instructions and folow your ways to disassemble my notebook. Last month ago, I just replace whatchamacallit pasta or like glue on my processor and now thinking how can I add heatsink just like you. I can not wait and patient to see your notebook.

i cut the body near the mpcie port so the pcie cable could sit perfectly. i am using powered hub since i use many usb: fan, keyboard(need two usb), mouse, bluetooth dongle.

Oh I see. You want to permanent place your mpcie cable just like PC which is staying in one place. But unfortunately, I use my laptop to keep mobility, sometimes I put my wificard to get internet access in public area. Hehehe.. it is still free, I should use the facility as well. All I need to do just isolate the cable to keep movement. That's good idea. Powered USB can handle all your device, I should try it.

i think the best way to benchmark your laptop/pc performance is to use benchmarking software beacuse it simulates the game with many feature: you can see fps, usage etc like u are playing game but better because it is standardized. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/benchmark-cpu-gpu-like-pro/

Okay, due to limited access for internet, I just use my game to know the fps. It is same as software benchmark but I did it with real time condition playing a game. My internet is metered and Downloading software such as Unigine is spending my money.

yup, the intelHD 300 seems to be activated as well.

Oh the graphics card recognize as two monitor. So you can expand the monitor. My question is can you play game on internal display with your nvidia card? I affraid of internal display just use intel HD 3000 only, the nvidia just use external monitor. i want to clarify it.

i have checked the bios and surprisingly it have not been activating  until now. lol. so the special feature is off.

On 2/14/2017 at 9:50 PM, druna27 said:

woooooowww thankss. it is really help. i will activate it. below is the image of my bios screenshoot of pcie port. as you can see, all the configurations are same.

Yup, you're welcome. The bios is providing all we need to use egpu. But we must carefull to change the configuration. Hey, I found the core cpu. You can use 2 core or 4 core, there are optional configuration. 

here my score using gen 2 activated and primary display: auto

i tried it twice and it is shown similar results: the first one is around 14.000 and the second one is around 13800. it might be concluded that my result is same (before turning special feature on). I dont know why, maybe it is because the laptop somehow activating the nvdia as primary display when it is detected

Oh you conduct experiment again. I just wonder to see your result. There is no significant performance like you said before. I think your configuration is enable IGFX. Yeah we can avoid of using setup 1.3 by setting the bios.

Edited by druna27

17 hours ago, druna27 said:

Sorry for delay reply. The weather in my country make me sick again and I just take a rest as well.  Okay, I understand it. It is affect to the HDD and RAM too. In my case, I use my HDD seperately, but now I use 1 TB only. I keep my optical drive because somtimes I use it to backup my files.

no worries mate, it's okay.. 

Oh my God, we can share playable game too. Yeah, recently I just give small fan connect to adapter below the grid fan of my notebook. The temperature does not seem cooler than before but I still use it until now to keep good air flow. Yeah.. guide me to fix the heat problem, I will wait your instructions and folow your ways to disassemble my notebook. Last month ago, I just replace whatchamacallit pasta or like glue on my processor and now thinking how can I add heatsink just like you. I can not wait and patient to see your notebook.

Yep, maybe i will order thermal paste first because the old one already finished. I just play pro evolution soccer and dota2 only when i have not implemented egpu yet.

Oh I see. You want to permanent place your mpcie cable just like PC which is staying in one place. But unfortunately, I use my laptop to keep mobility, sometimes I put my wificard to get internet access in public area. Hehehe.. it is still free, I should use the facility as well. All I need to do just isolate the cable to keep movement. That's good idea. Powered USB can handle all your device, I should try it.

oh i got it. i transform my laptop now to a pc.

Oh the graphics card recognize as two monitor. So you can expand the monitor. My question is can you play game on internal display with your nvidia card? I affraid of internal display just use intel HD 3000 only, the nvidia just use external monitor. i want to clarify it.

yes, before i bought a monitor, i used my internal screen and optimus is enabled.

Yup, you're welcome. The bios is providing all we need to use egpu. But we must carefull to change the configuration. Hey, I found the core cpu. You can use 2 core or 4 core, there are optional configuration

wow that's would be an useful information. thanks mate!

Oh you conduct experiment again. I just wonder to see your result. There is no significant performance like you said before. I think your configuration is enable IGFX. Yeah we can avoid of using setup 1.3 by setting the bios.

i set it to auto so the bios could set it automatically to peg when it is detected. i can do another experiment for you if you would. what do you it would be the best? i could try it for you

and, what is your best setting, i would compare it

5 hours ago, druna27 said:

copper shims or thermal pad. Have you ever heard about it? I guest that you mount it on the processor, right?

copper.jpg

similar to this but it is different. i used copper from another pc. 

On 2/17/2017 at 5:22 AM, diabloretriever said:

Yep, maybe i will order thermal paste first because the old one already finished. I just play pro evolution soccer and dota2 only when i have not implemented egpu yet

I'm back again for you. I got busy day yesterday, I'm so sorry. I just used the cheapest thermal paste under $1, because I live in small village. The result is not bad, I got 80 degree C when playing dirt3 with my egpu. I'm used to playing battlefield 2 with intel hd 3000 and psp emulator.

yes, before i bought a monitor, i used my internal screen and optimus is enabled.

So, you never configure your bios to get internal dispaly work. Mmm.. I just wonder, I can not do that. Before bought egpu, I thought that windows 7, the older, can run optimus as well as all people do it. The fact is I got external display. I confused and tried DSDT overide. Yeah I can do it, but I failed to use my wifi card again. So I make clean instal windows 7 and no DSDT override by changing bios (primary dispaly>external monitor). What is your version of your windows? I should try your OS to make comparison.

i set it to auto so the bios could set it automatically to peg when it is detected. i can do another experiment for you if you would. what do you it would be the best? i could try it for you

and, what is your best setting, i would compare it

Hey, when I set it to auto, I can not use internl display. If you want to use internal display just choose IGFX. Oh thank you. I never setting my bios again since I found that my egpu work fine in my notebook. Nice.. IMaybe I will try again later.

similar to this but it is different. i used copper from another pc

On 2/17/2017 at 5:34 AM, diabloretriever said:

yes i ever considered to use thermal pad, but it is to low so it cant touch the modified steel. so think it would be useless.

After I realize that you are able to use custom heatsink, actually I curious to know about your heatsink. I watch youtube and someones use doubled thermal shims on the processor. They report that decreasing 20 degree C. I think your custom heatsink same as them. yeah, I'm wrong. How about your promise? It is weekend, right? 

Would you like to send me size of your old copper from internet? I want to know the dimention of the copper. You can give me another references such as heatsink from intel pentium or what else. Your suggestion is important for me. Thank you mate