Alienware M17x R2 (no iGPU)

Alienware M14x R2 (iGPU)

• i7 3840qm
  • GT 650M
  • 16GB DDR3 RAM
  • mPCIe x2(?)
  • Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

I am using:

My problem is that Windows does not detect anything on either setup. No drivers are ever installed for a "Standard VGA Adapter", and I always check Device Manager. I have tried everything on the TechInferno webpage here, but nothing happens once in Windows. I have entered into the DIY eGPU Setup (menu option) several times trying what it recommends to get the graphics card to be seen, and messed around a bit with the settings, but none of that works either. Sometimes certain options will cause the laptop to hang and force me to reboot.

The ExpressCard slot and mPCIe slots of my laptops do work, I regularly use the ExpressCard with a USB 3.0 card, and I normally have a WLAN and a M.SATA SSD drive in the mCPIe slots (both I have extensively tried with the EXP GDC adapter). The graphics card only boots up (with fans on full blast) once the PSU is plugged in after the BIOS has loaded. If I have it connected from a cold boot, the card will attempt to turn on with slow fans and then turn off on either laptop. The graphics card is lightweight and fully inserted into the EXP GDC adapter. There is no switch on the PSU, so once everything is plugged in (and the laptop is on), it just goes.

I thought it would at least work on the M17x R2 since there is an Amazon review comment stating that it does. The only other thing I can mention is that the GTX 680M was never officially meant for the M17x R2, so I have to hack the NVIDIA display drivers to get NVIDIA driver support. I don't think this has anything to do with the eGPU detection though (especially since the DIY eGPU Setup dose see the GTX 680M)... And, if it helps, I do have a Dell 220w power brick I can use instead.

If anyone has any suggestions I can try, I will, as I really want this old laptop to run at its best before I move on.

Thanks in advance!

For the sake of closure, the PSU did seem to be the problem. Once I had the Dell 220w power brick inserted, and the right cables to go from the female 6 pin on the EXP GDC adapter to the two female 6 pins of the Zotac GTX 970, it was immediately recognized in Windows once the laptop booted up. I then just had to restart, install the drivers, restart once more, and I was then able to use the GTX 970 for gaming and whatnot.

I have yet to test this with the mPCIe, only the ExpressCard. I may have to tinker with the mPCIe setup, but I'll find out soon enough...

As a side note, I have been able to overclock to 1476Mhz on core without any changes to power or temp thresholds!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 4:31 AM, Heatshiver said:
For the sake of closure, the PSU did seem to be the problem. Once I had the Dell 220w power brick inserted, and the right cables to go from the female 6 pin on the EXP GDC adapter to the two female 6 pins of the Zotac GTX 970, it was immediately recognized in Windows once the laptop booted up. I then just had to restart, install the drivers, restart once more, and I was then able to use the GTX 970 for gaming and whatnot.

I have yet to test this with the mPCIe, only the ExpressCard. I may have to tinker with the mPCIe setup, but I'll find out soon enough...

As a side note, I have been able to overclock to 1476Mhz on core without any changes to power or temp thresholds!

Hi, I  have a similar problem, I cant recognize my eGPU on my laptop. I tried everything as you did, but I'm not sure I understand what you did to fix. what cables are you talking about ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.