14" Dell Latitude E6430 - Performance Upgrades and System Mods

When doing BCLK overclocking you should enable HPET in command line, or else you will see stuttering in games. If you have Win8 or 8.1 then you can't overclock because there is no way for Win8 to track time properly if BCLK is changed after startup. I don't know about Win10.

I use W8.1. Could you elaborate why I can't OC? Will it cause any problem?

Oh wow, thank you so much. I just have one question, how do I actually implement this? Im not sure how you even extracted this because the site for the donovan universal extractor is doing maintenance for however long. donovan6000's Blog: Universal IFR Extractor

Also the link to the UEFITool 0.18.8l tool is broken.

Since this is for the A17 bios, is that best since its the latest one doing 1866? Again im not sure how to implement this.

The txt I extracted is just a guide. In this file, you can find UEFI variables for changes you may want to make, although they are invisible in the system's UEFI BIOS.

For example on my Dell E6430 there was no option in my BIOS to enable XMP Profile. Using as a guide Atonus instructions I changed my DIMM profile (in my bios 0x1ee) from default (value 0x0) to XMP Profile 1 (value 0x2) and XMP Profile 2. I flashed XMP Profiles on my stock memories described here. You can do the same on your sticks if they do not have XMP Profiles already. You can check if your so-dimms have XMP Profiles using Thaiphoon Burner DEMO.

post-35824-14495000224975_thumb.png

There is no xmp profile on, so that should be good. Im stil not sure how to find the UEFI as the tool link is still broken, and same with the blog giving me a 503 error each time I try and down load it. Maybe your referring to thaiphoon burner? The atonus guides link for this tool(https://www.sendspace.com/file/bouk3i) is broken as well. Is the nondemo 16 dollar thaiphoon burner the key to all of this?

There is no xmp profile on, so that should be good.

It would be better f there were. You wouldn't have to add them...

Im stil not sure how to find the UEFI as the tool link is still broken, and same with the blog giving me a 503 error each time I try and down load it. Maybe your referring to thaiphoon burner?

I have already created the IFR txt and showed you which variable you have to change (check post #72).

The atonus guides link for this tool(https://www.sendspace.com/file/bouk3i) is broken as well.

Here it is. In a FAT32 flash drive add this under /EFI/BOOT/

Is the nondemo 16 dollar thaiphoon burner the key to all of this?

If you don't have access to an older DDR3 laptop (GM45/PM45 where you can use SPDTool) it is the only way that I know to flash XMP Profiles on your RAM on your laptop.

Even if you flash the XMP Profiles, there is a possibility that it won't work...

"I have already created the IFR txt and showed you which variable you have to change (check post #72)."

Oh, well my idea was that i create one with latest bios and there for maybe it would work with 2133 or 2400 with latest bios. So this bootx64 file can change the IFR variable? Im still looking into how to work with EFI files, or do I just replace it somewhere?

"In a FAT32 flash drive"...

Sorry now, im abit new to indepth stuff like this, how does one just do that?

I use W8.1. Could you elaborate why I can't OC? Will it cause any problem?

In Win8 after a BCLK overclock windows will count time faster. If you overclock 5%, windows counts time 5% faster. If you run benchmarks you'll see that CPU performance in many instances is "identical", because although performance was faster, windows gave the benchmark less time to run. People were underclocking BCLK in Win8 for a while for benchmarks until HWBot banned Win8 because an underclock made benchmarks run slower, allowing more frames to be completed in the duration if GPU bound. HWBot No Longer Accepts Windows 8-based Submissions - eTeknix

So it turns out that there is a fix, enter the following in a administrative console:

bcdedit /set {current} useplatformclock Yes

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, well my idea was that i create one with latest bios and there for maybe it would work with 2133 or 2400 with latest bios. So this bootx64 file can change the IFR variable? Im still looking into how to work with EFI files, or do I just replace it somewhere?

As you wish. E6420-A21 Nothing crucial is different...You can crosscheck with both files.

Sorry now, im abit new to indepth stuff like this, how does one just do that?

Just format a flash drive (less than 4GB) and choose FAT32. Then create folder EFI in the flash drive. Inside that folder create another folder BOOT. Inside BOOT you copy the .efi file.

You can use an older USB drive as long as it is formatted FAT32

Now when you boot your computer press F12 and choose UEFI: Mass Storage Device or something similar. If you cannot see such a device make sure you have enabled UEFI booting in BIOS. When it starts you are at a grub terminal where you can use setup_var as in Atonus Instructions.

You can set any variable you want to a specific value be careful though

NOTE: you want to add to be careful with writing to NVRAM with this tool. In the event you set something that bricks your laptop it may be difficult to trigger a reset since there is no watchdog and reset functionality like there is with XTU.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Alright, I will try this soon since it doesnt use Thaiphoon burner. I contacted them and they said it would not work because of the bios limit which they cannot do anything about. Im just kinda scared to try since ive never done this before.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there anything else needed for x2 besides TX/RX and GND from module bay, TX\RX\GND from express card, and control signals from express card port that might cause it not to be detected/enabled?

like shorting PRSNT pins on 16x connector? using module bay PE CLK REQ or PE RST?

BTW how is the USB 3.0 module bay expansion module gets USB 3.0 from SATA/PCI-E? can we get a close up of the connector?

Dell Latitude E6320 E6420 E6520 E6330 E6430 E6530 E Bay USB 3 0 Expansion Module | eBay

Is there anything else needed for x2 besides TX/RX and GND from module bay, TX\RX\GND from express card, and control signals from express card port that might cause it not to be detected/enabled?

like shorting PRSNT pins on 16x connector? using module bay PE CLK REQ or PE RST?

When I made the x2 2.0 connection with port 1 WWAN and port 2 WLAN I only used TX/RX signals & GND from port 2. Plus setting port 1 @ x2.

Nothing more, nothing less.. I can't understand why it won't work.

I have been trying unsuccessfully to fix my PE3A to check myself but I failed. So I cannot be of any more help soon.

BTW how is the USB 3.0 module bay expansion module gets USB 3.0 from SATA/PCI-E?

I assumed that the Modular Bay uses some kind of PCIe-->USB 3.0 card.There is no schematic that I could find for the USB3.0 Expansion module.

I got to that conclusion cause there are plenty EC to USB 3.0 adapters (found on eBay) using the USB 3.0 NEC/Renesas Chip or the USB 3.0 ASM1042. I own one EC to USB 3.0 adapter which uses the ASM chip and the tracks from the chip go to the PCIe signals on the EC slot. (I could upload a photo if you are interested).

I couldn't find any closeup to the connector online either. We could probably get a photo from someone who has already purchased it?

When I made the x2 2.0 connection with port 1 WWAN and port 2 WLAN I only used TX/RX signals & GND from port 2. Plus setting port 1 @ x2.

Nothing more, nothing less.. I can't understand why it won't work.

I have been trying unsuccessfully to fix my PE3A to check myself but I failed. So I cannot be of any more help soon.

I assumed that the Modular Bay uses some kind of PCIe-->USB 3.0 card.There is no schematic that I could find for the USB3.0 Expansion module.

I got to that conclusion cause there are plenty EC to USB 3.0 adapters (found on eBay) using the USB 3.0 NEC/Renesas Chip or the USB 3.0 ASM1042. I own one EC to USB 3.0 adapter which uses the ASM chip and the tracks from the chip go to the PCIe signals on the EC slot. (I could upload a photo if you are interested).

I couldn't find any closeup to the connector online either. We could probably get a photo from someone who has already purchased it?

So maybe we need to enable USB3.0 mode with those mod pins (MOD_MD, MOD_SATA_PCIE#_DET), and I tried one of them. And those lanes are direct to CPU, can those be disabled by PCH for example?

If I didn't wreck the ODD port, I would have gotten USB3.0 module, it's probably PCI like you say and will provide the correct connector.

@sskillz My dead E6520 mobo still has an intact connector. I could take it off and send it to you.

Have any of you found a schematic of the USB adapter or the modular bay? We could likely narrow down which 4 lines are PCI-E, but to try all combinations on which is which signal would be very tedious.

Also I have gotten x2 2.0 to work. My 580 allows PCI-E overvolting, so with all socketed conenctions and a PE4H I managed to get to the windows desktop on my latitude. I could move the cursor around and open some folders, but it was not stable enough to run anything 3D. With the cables soldered to the laptop connector it may be stable with the overvolt on the PE4H. I never bothered to get them though since I have the P150EM.

@sskillz My dead E6520 mobo still has an intact connector. I could take it off and send it to you.

Have any of you found a schematic of the USB adapter or the modular bay? We could likely narrow down which 4 lines are PCI-E, but to try all combinations on which is which signal would be very tedious.

There is a schematic of the port on pg 28 (UMA) or 29 (Discrete Graphics) of the E6430 schematics. Couldn't find anything closer

Also I have gotten x2 2.0 to work. My 580 allows PCI-E overvolting, so with all socketed conenctions and a PE4H I managed to get to the windows desktop on my latitude. I could move the cursor around and open some folders, but it was not stable enough to run anything 3D. With the cables soldered to the laptop connector it may be stable with the overvolt on the PE4H. I never bothered to get them though since I have the P150EM.

Have you ever tried x2 2.0 with EC and port 4?

I could connect an AMD r9-280x @ x2 2.0 with a custom adapter from ports 1,2 but my Nvidia GTX 460 would hung after a 10-15 sec of benchmarks.

There is a schematic of the port on pg 28 (UMA) or 29 (Discrete Graphics) of the E6430 schematics. Couldn't find anything closer

Have you ever tried x2 2.0 with EC and port 4?

I could connect an AMD r9-280x @ x2 2.0 with a custom adapter from ports 1,2 but my Nvidia GTX 460 would hung after a 10-15 sec of benchmarks.

No, I never tried to wire up the modular bay. I heard from Tech Inferno Fan that AMD cards do tend to be more robust with PCI-E 2.0

No, I never tried to wire up the modular bay.

That's what we are trying to solve right now. If we could wire up the E-module Bay a fully external x2 2.0 would be possible (using EC port 3 and e-module port4) & maybe an x4 2.0 using ports 1-4.

I finally fixed my PE3A (soldered a flat USB 3.0 cable to the EC connector) and used it with a usb 3.0 pcie riser. Initial tests show that it works with Ethernet Card, Audio Card and an old Nvidia 8400GS I had laying around. Will be testing further to see if it can hold an x1 2.0 connection. If it is stable I will be trying to use E-module for x2.

I cannot justify spending more money on adapters since this is a laptop I use primarily for work. I use my x79 build for gaming/video editing. That's why I work with what I already have.

I heard from Tech Inferno Fan that AMD cards do tend to be more robust with PCI-E 2.0

Seems like a valid point.

So maybe we need to enable USB3.0 mode with those mod pins (MOD_MD, MOD_SATA_PCIE#_DET), and I tried one of them. And those lanes are direct to CPU, can those be disabled by PCH for example?

Finally got my PE3A to work. So I built an adapter to connect into the Module Bay slot.

9EsrJeY.jpg

used an old mini pcie adapter that I cut so it would fit...

jdYFZLn.jpg

This adapter goes into the modular bay and every TX-RX signal goes on my riser...

Bad News,

It doesn't work for me either.

According to our JSATA2 schematics (below) and as you noticed

9mKOPwf.png

there is the MD signal on the SATA power connector. I checked on other schematics and the "official" SATA pinout and I found out that this particular pin (pin 4) is a manufacturing diagnostic pin. Even when I taped this pin my dvd would work.

I took apart an 12,7mm ODD caddy I had laying around just to find out that pin 4 is not connected while pin 1 DEVICE DET# is pulled low? I think.. :sleeping: On the schematics it goes on controller MEC5055-LZY.

MOD_SATA_PCIE#_DET on the other side goes on a ECE5048-LZY_DQFN132 controller (pg 39 UMA) which seems to handle a lot of things. Maybe pulling this pin low could trigger something?

I closed my laptop and I am heading to bed since I am working tomorrow, but I am going to try it in the next days...

• Thumbs Up 1

That would be great, but I can't send you a private message, your inbox is full smile.png

MOD_SATA_PCIE#_DET on the other side goes on a ECE5048-LZY_DQFN132 controller (pg 39 UMA) which seems to handle a lot of things. Maybe pulling this pin low could trigger something?

I closed my laptop and I am heading to bed since I am working tomorrow, but I am going to try it in the next days...

If its the one will the 3.3v pull up I tried shorting it to GND by inserting a large metal pin in the port (since there are two GNDs below that pin

and its the last pin), but maybe I didn't get a good connection. you should try again, update us :)

• Thumbs Up 1

It's good to see this thread is live and well tackling that Emodule slot... so onward with my E6430 x4 project:

So I finally settled on my connectors:

post-35713-1449500037134_thumb.jpg

Recognize that funny looking connector next to the three SATA ports? It's a mini-SAS port that conveniently has enough pins for port 1 and utilizes differential pairs. I decided to do a mock up of the setup to see if there's any location issues; sure enough because of the cabling it requires more space for the powerful dual slot cards that would complement the 3720QM. And locking the GPU down with a latch seems unnecessary as it fits extremely snug. I also decided I may add a SATA power connector in case I wanted to try out non-powered cards.

I currently have half the connectors designed in Eagle. Two SATA ports will connect to those mSATA adapters with the tx/rx corrected. As for the EC slot, I found the edge connector to build an EC to SATA adapter card. And for the first port, it will utilize the mSATA card adapted with the mini-SAS connector. All in the name of signal integrity :-)

So far parts were pretty cheap, the tough part was finding who was selling less than a roll of 7000 connectors. I ended up on Newark's site which luckily gives me blueprints and footprints that I can copy over into Eagle (which I'm also learning how to use, sheesh). Cables are also affordable for this build unlike those proprietary BPlus cables. My 36 pin mini-SAS cable was $10 USD. Once the schematic is done I will run it by you guys before I send off the gerbers to a PCB company. Still lots to do.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's good to see this thread is live and well tackling that Emodule slot... so onward with my E6430 x4 project:

So I finally settled on my connectors:... So far parts were pretty cheap, the tough part was finding who was selling less than a roll of 7000 connectors. I ended up on Newark's site which luckily gives me blueprints and footprints that I can copy over into Eagle (which I'm also learning how to use, sheesh). Cables are also affordable for this build unlike those proprietary BPlus cables. My 36 pin mini-SAS cable was $10 USD. Once the schematic is done I will run it by you guys before I send off the gerbers to a PCB company. Still lots to do.

Nice to see someone aiming for perfection. :)

Just a few insights from my experience. You don't have to take them seriously...

• My opinion is that you won't need such a big connector for the 1st port... You can see here that I used only an USB 3.0 cable (8 signals + GND) for my adapter.

• I guess you already know that but just to be clear for other users, you need to mod the EC to SATA adapter card.The EC to SATA uses a small pcie x1 to sata chip (possibly jmicron or sil) to convert the pcie signals to 1 or 2 sata ports.
    You need to mod the adapter and solder small cables from the TX and RX signals directly on the sata port.Or you could make a custom PCB for the EC to SATA connector. :)
    You can see more on the EC layout and understand how it works on the EC standard (layout on pg.23).
  • mSATA to SATA adapters are passive so the only thing you need to be careful is which pin goes where, cause the RX TX signals for the mSATA are different than those of the mini pcie
  • We haven't found out yet how to enable/use the e-module port 4. :( Hopefully we do that in time
  • Also, could you please give us an inside on how are you going to connect the mini SAS on port1?

EDIT: Take into consideration that you need power too. Maybe you should consider adding a 24pin PSU connector, so that you can directly connect 3.3V and you don't need to use any 12V/5V --> 3.3V converters

Nice to see someone aiming for perfection. :)

Just a few insights from my experience. You don't have to take them seriously...

• My opinion is that you won't need such a big connector for the 1st port... You can see here that I used only an USB 3.0 cable (8 signals + GND) for my adapter.

Wow, nice work! I actually have a bigger plan with this cable setup, but that will be for another day or diymodder. Think x16...

• You can see more on the EC layout and understand how it works on the EC standard (layout on pg.23).

This is very useful, thanks!

• We haven't found out yet how to enable/use the e-module port 4. :( Hopefully we do that in time

I'm intently watching this. Now if an Intel guy could chime in here...

• Also, could you please give us an inside on how are you going to connect the mini SAS on port1?

So mini SAS will have its own custom mPCI-E board, luckily I found right angle connectors so to keep it slim. The fun part is some of the connectors (like the vertical mini SAS) don't have completed dimensions so I have to find my calipers or just use the ones from work.

EDIT: Take into consideration that you need power too. Maybe you should consider adding a 24pin PSU connector, so that you can directly connect 3.3V and you don't need to use any 12V/5V --> 3.3V converters

That's pretty much what I figured. Well, good thing I also ordered a SATA power connector so I should have 3.3V, 5V, and 12V without having to convert, simple enough. I know there are daughter board kits to convert DC jacks if someone wants to go that route.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow, nice work! I actually have a bigger plan with this cable setup, but that will be for another day or diymodder. Think x16...

I'm intently watching this. Now if an Intel guy could chime in here...

I don't think Intel have something to do with it. I think the E-module II port is a proprietary connector created by Dell.

That's pretty much what I figured. Well, good thing I also ordered a SATA power connector so I should have 3.3V, 5V, and 12V without having to convert, simple enough. I know there are daughter board kits to convert DC jacks if someone wants to go that route.

That's even better. The sata power connectors tend to be a bit fragile though (I have broken a few so far just by plugging and unplugging).

So if you are planning to plug and unplug I would suggest a more robust connector.

Can someone tell me is it possible to use motherboard from E6430 in E6420?

Hello patrykp84!

6430 and 6420 share almost the same chassis. The only problem could be the cpu cooler which seems to be a bit different from a 6420 to 6430.
Spoiler

6420 iGPU heatsink 6430 iGPU heatsink
@Khenglish has successfully replaced his dead motherboard on his E6520 with an E6530 one.

I suspect my 3920xm would overclock fine, but I don't want to switch the CPUs to find out due to how huge of a PITA it was to mount a e6520 heatsink onto a e6530 motherboard.

I have been looking for an old E6420 myself to replace the motherboard with the E6430 one, but then I found a great deal for my E6430 and never gave it a shot.

EDIT : Seems like replacing the motherboard of the Dell Latitude E6420 with the E6430 requires a lot of modifications and is not intended for the average user. Look the following posts for more.

Hello patrykp84!

6430 and 6420 share almost the same chassis. The only problem could be the cpu cooler which seems to be a bit different from a 6420 to 6430.

Spoiler

6420 iGPU heatsink 6430 iGPU heatsink
@Khenglish has successfully replaced his dead motherboard on his E6520 with an E6530 one.

I have been looking for an old E6420 myself to replace the motherboard with the E6430 one, but then I found a great deal for my E6430 and never gave it a shot.

Almost everything in the E6530 motherboard was around 3mm off from the E6520 motherboard. I needed to do a lot of dremmel work on the casing to get the board to fit properly. I had to drill holes into the dGPU part of the heatsink to get screws through it, as well as move the fan connector.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Almost everything in the E6530 motherboard was around 3mm off from the E6520 motherboard. I needed to do a lot of dremmel work on the casing to get the board to fit properly. I had to drill holes into the dGPU part of the heatsink to get screws through it, as well as move the fan connector.

This means that such a conversion in terms of fitting is not recommended for the average user.

Did you have any problem connecting other components on the motherboard (e.g. Bt, the Screen, the VGA/ethernet/sound subsystem)?