timohour

14" Dell Latitude E6430 - Performance Upgrades and System Mods

1 hour ago, xsmile said:

This sounds like badly edited SetupPrep module. I didn't try it with A20 yet though.

Upload the attachment on an external site, I can't seem to access it here because of account restrictions.

Here is the A20 IFR.   In the case of SetupPrep bad edit I follow the guide from your post: search for SetupPrep and extract the body of the compressed section to a file named body.bin. With the help of IFR Extractor I extracted from body.bin a IFR file. I edited the IFR.txt with HxD and modify System Logs last 2 bytes (0B 80 to 01 04) and save that file as: body-mod.bin. With the help of UEFITool I insert that body-mod.bin in the dump BIOS and save it as bios-mod and write the modified bios from dos with fpt. So what am I doing wrong?! Thanks!

@twm You need to open your body.bin in a hex editor, not IFR.txt. I wish editing the BIOS was as easy as that :-)

Spoiler
On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 11:10 AM, aldimeola81 said:

I've bricked the laptop i think: the fan start spinning at maximum speed but nothing is displayed over screen, after a while it make self reboot, is there any way to fix that or is dead?

original bios

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cgbnh2jq3f30fjb/ORIGIN.BIn

flashed bios before death

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hz4c34pcs8lhc3b/fitch1.bin

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 8:11 AM, aldimeola81 said:

with the Khenglish's help i've unbricked my e6430, reprogramming main and sub bios flash chip due an external programmer.

the programmer cost less than 10$ on eBay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262417774441&alt=web

after downloading bin image for main and sub eeprom and flashed, the laptop is now working fine!

http://IMG_20160525_131031_zpshy61outl.jpg~orig

http://IMG_20160525_131040_zpsb5kz39np.jpg~orig

now i can overclock with reference clock but but i still can't overclock turbo value, the sliders works and  the xtu says there are 4 turbo bins that i can use but i can't go after stock value, i can only go back with multiplier.. any help? bye.

Hi, I've bricked my laptop too, this has the same symptoms as that of @ aldimeola81, I would like to know if I can unbrick it in the same way, these are my files:

Original BIOS:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7ZZLbYKk2IiX1hPd3EzTE9tZVk

Flashed BIOS before brick:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7ZZLbYKk2IiZWs3Q1lKbHMxcVU

Thank u, sorry for my bad english, i'm from México.

Regards.

On 4/15/2017 at 2:18 PM, Horizon said:

The laptop has 2 banks but we can do 16GB each per bank, is it still possible?

It's not possible to have 32GB of ram on E6430, someone try it and it wont boot.

I tried all BIOS (about 10 of them up to the latest A18, I think). 32G just didn't work. I got blinking lights upon bootup. CPU i5-3340M ...QM77 Express chipset. Memory advertised as DDR3L for low voltage. It's nameless. Chips have these numbers 1024X8DDR3 1514 .

On 5/16/2017 at 3:21 AM, xsmile said:

@twm You need to open your body.bin in a hex editor, not IFR.txt. I wish editing the BIOS was as easy as that :-)

Thanks for advice, I got that hiden menu, still I wish that there was a way to have all BIOS (F2) in text mode not in that laggy graphical one! Anyway I'm the proud possesor of an E6430 (i7-3740QM +16GB ddr3/1600MHz,dgpu (NVS5200), 2x 256MX100 SSD în soft raid (Btrfs)) who rocks.

DellE6430.png

Edited by twm

I don't understand how to locate IDT chip to pin it from newbie guide. Can you help me? Maybe send photo?

After the death of my e6430 modded and overclocked and with an gtx980 attached, a death without any notice before, I turned to a lenovo thinkstation s30 with a xeon e5-1660, mounted the gtx980 and the difference is huge.. bye friend.

Inviato dal mio Lenovo P2a42 utilizzando Tapatalk

Hello.  My question is not as technical as the things I am reading in this thread which are pretty incredible and is why I wanted to ask my question here.  I need help with replacing the video cable in my E6430.  I have the T6N3N screen to replace the lower resolution one that came with the laptop and I also ordered the JTC08 video cable as I was told I would need it to move to the better screen.  Replacing the screen looks easy enough but I have not been able to find any videos, how-to guides, etc. on how to replace the entire video cable.  Am I looking at completely gutting the laptop to get to the motherboard to attach the new cable?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time. 

Hello,

I am a owner of e6430.

My current specs are:

i7 3740QM

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz

BIOS A18

Windows 10 64bit

I had no problem unlocking the flash descriptor. However, the true purpose of me doing the tweak is to overclock my processor and that has failed.

#1: I tried manually to modify my bios using FITC. I did everything guide said, flash was successful but Intels XTU tool did not let me overclock. 

#2: I tried flashing the provided bios E6430UCME.bin and that to did not let me overclock using Intels XTU Tool.

Does anyone have the proper way to get Intel XTU to work with BIOS A18 and running Windows 10?

Maybe someone could provide me with instructions or a bios backup with the modification for e6430 model. 

Thanks and much appreciation!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$

PS: Anyone who can help me setup overclocking with the XTU utility and XMP memory MOD I will gladly compensate you through paypal.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

My contact: kingjacob@kingjacobs.us

Edited by Skimpypimp

Hey guys, just got E6430, I'm feeling happy. But I have only 65W AC brick. I'll get my 90W one only on this Saturday. There was a seller mistake here. Can I do something with throttling my i5 3340m to 0.8GHz w/o any hardware mods? I have to do lots of 3D work tonight, and I can't use my desktop, only e6430 laptop.

And sorry for my English, I'm Russian ;D

Hi, Im the owner of an old E6330 with Intel i5-3380M , 16GB of mixed dual 8GB Kingston/Hynix OEM 1600 ram and HD4000 iGPU(which having the almost the same guts as E6430, minus the socketable CPU and GPU).
I found this thread and the contents was very helpful that I can overclock and tweaks much of my machine.
I will be soon to receive 2 x GSkill DDR3L 2133MHz 8GB CL11 F3-2133C11S-8GRSL from my relatives (used, removed from his old gaming laptop) which is great to have it. But I read in here that ppl with E6430 having problems with the 2133 kit and were forced to change the timing to CL12. Did I need to do the same or I just need to "plug n play" and enjoying it?
Thanks very much

I have the E6430 and updated the CPU with a I7-3840qm. 

It works great but  sometimes i think it has a cooling problem. 

If i test it with prime then it sometimes maxed out to 105 degrees.

And it's clocking down.

The original CPU was 35W TDP and this one is 45W TDP. 

So i think i am already going out of the original spec. 

Is it smart to do the cooling mod on this laptop with the extra heatsinks?

And will this work because with the normal heatsink design the air will go trough the heatsink.