EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
nutterbutter

Exceedingly slow Win8.1 bootup time

Is there a reason why an i5, 8GB ram laptop would take 10-20 minutes to boot up? The HDD passed DTS, no SMART errors, and the windows error checking found nothing, RAM has no issues, tested in a separate laptop. The system was restored from a Recovery partition (i.e. the OS partition was overwritten), same results, takes forever to boot up, granted the HDD is a 5400 rpm with barely any cache, but still it should not take that long, it booted just fine in the past... Bios? Some weird corrupt Recovery partition?

Click "windows button" then write in "msconfig" and press enter. In second tab there should be something like "advance options" and when u click it there's option in polish called "liczba procesorów" (sry not english user) in english probably something like "core number" set it to maximum possible and it should help a bit. If not I strongly suggest looking for SSD.

Number of Processors? I totally forgot about that option. I was tinkering with it for a little while (it's my friends laptop), and after re-installing a clean system (downloaded an install usb from Microsoft/not the OEM restore) it seems to start a lot faster, still not as fast as I'd like, but its down to about 45 sec - 1 min from a previous infinity of 20min... I'm going to see if I can shave that down a bit more...

I don't know if this is what's happening to you, but with my new laptop, after I reformatted it, the boot up was much slower until I went through several rounds of windows updates and restarts. Now it's just a little slow after logging in. Might be Windows 8.1. I think my windows 8 PC with an older processor and less RAM is quicker.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By SenikTheFasthog
      Good day,

I am the owner of a used m18x r2 struggling to build it back up into a functional machine. The previous user had his system installed in RAID mode which won't suffice for my desired SSD boot speeds. I've ensured that both AHCI and UEFI are active in the A11 BIOS. I have also ensured to clean the main drive via diskpart CMD upon custom installing my copy of Win 7 Ultimate. Oddly enough, when the setup completes, I'll get an error message stating windows can't finish configuring and needs to restart. Heeding this message will only cause it to happen again on the next reboot, so CMD to the rescue and creating and off to making user account I go. Unfortunately, boot speeds are as slow as ever and I've verified that no RAID controllers have been left installed in the device manager. So far, my only potential lead is that I've noticed during each boot, Windows mentions that "Setup Is Updating Registry Settings" after about of minute of Starting Windows. I've been researching this exact string but I can't say I've found a concrete solution to attempt just yet.

So here I am, requesting for advice as to what I should check next.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I've tried out a new install accessing the CD through legacy but still keeping the SDD Boot drive on UEFI mode. So far haven't had to mess with CMD anymore to proceed nor has the Setup needed to Update Registry Settings. I also remembered to install the intel rapid storage driver.  Alas, I'm still left with 2 minute boot times(particularly on the Starting Windows screen), so the problem still remains.

EDIT2: Diagnosing with a Boot Manager, I discovered it takes about a minute before svchost even starts running. So with that, I ruled out it wasn't a software problem. I then decided on the possibility that maybe the other drives could be interfering with booting. Pulling out the other HDDs had no effect, but the actual culprit was the mSATA SSD that was left in from the last user. Now I can enter windows in 3 seconds!

Even fishier, this mSATA drive says its 32 GB but Speccy says its a 1GB drive. But that's a problem for another time, at last my 850 EVO is showing off its expecting speeds.
    • By AngieAndretti
      I run svl7's unlocked BIOS, version A10, on my M17x R4. I ran it for nearly two years with 240GB Mushkin SSD SATAIII in 1st HDD bay, and stock Dell 750GB HDD SATAII in 2nd bay. It worked without issue. Recently I replaced the 750 with a 1TB HDD with a SATAIII interface and I see the laptop bluescreening when accessing both drives simultaneously (i.e. copying files from one drive to the other.)
      I remember there was an issue with these mobo's where there was instability when both drives were in SATAIII mode so Dell limited the 2nd bay to SATAII in BIOS A05 or A08 I think. However it looks like that restriction was dropped in the unlocked BIOS I'm using and HwINFO confirms that both drives are operating at SATAIII.
      Assuming I DO NOT want to drop down to the stock BIOS, is there a way I can limit the 2nd drive to SATAII, or do I have to shell out the $$ for a similar 1TB drive with a SATAII interface?
      Thanks guys.
    • By emregezgin
      Just got my new lenovo y510p and i really need an ssd in it..
      It has 1 regular 2.5" hd bay, one msata bay and 1 ultra bay..
      I got a 120gb samsung 830 ssd (from my old laptop) and the problem is that its too small so thats why i need that + the 1tb harddisk at the same time..
      My question is, will the 1tb harddisk work slower in an ultrabay/sata dock that fits in insted of the dvd drive? (in other words, should i go and buy a msata ssd and use that so the 1tb hd can stay in its normal bay) or should i save some money and move my 1tb hd to the ultra bay and install my normal 2.5" ssd inside??
      What would you do??
    • By ronindjinnh
      Hi all,
      I'm new to upgrading PCs. Moved from console to PC gaming a year ago, so now need to learn more about upgrading the laptop. I have the ONE version of the GT70 laptop with the RAID 0 2x mSATA 128Gb SSD and a 7200rpm second HDD. Have to upgrade to W8.1 and, considering I am getting low on space on the SSDs (from where I run OS and some games), I am wondering what is a good upgrade path. I would like more SSD storage, and have read around the net that 1 SSD gives enough I/O and that RAID 0 doesn't really give any additional real world benefit.
      My question is though, that because the GT70 second HDD is only SATA II, would that still be the case versus the SATA III RAID 0? And is the thing about RAID 0 giving no real world benefit versus 1 SSD really true? And just to be sure, if games are mostly GPU-throttled, is there any point to even running games on SSD vs HDD?
      Thanks!
    • By Clearik
      Okay guys, I'm really stuck. My desktop PSU went bad probably about a year ago, (I thought the computer was completely fried) so I took out the HDD and began using it as an external hard drive. I formatted it, and used it however I needed it. I finally got around to repairing my desktop, and it now works. So I formatted the HDD again, and put it back into the desktop. When I attempt to install Windows 7 via a disk, however, I get this error: "No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation." I attempted to find drivers and install them onto a USB to allow me to use the HDD, unfortunately none of them worked though. I have absolutely no idea what to do now. Any help would be appreciated!
      Here are some specs:
      HP Pavilion a824n
      PTGD1-LA motherboard
      Western Digital WD Caviar SE WD2000
      One final note: When I click "Load Driver" then click "Browse" it detects the HDD, so I don't believe the HDD is faulty. Thanks again!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.