14" Lenovo L440 + GTX560Ti@4Gbps+c-EC2 (EXP GDC Beast) + Win8.1 [Petrroll]

Petrroll

Hi,

Used:

• EXP GDC Beast
  • DIY eGPU Setup 1.3 (PM Tech Inferno Fan for pruchase)
  • NVidia GPU (GTX 560Ti)
  • Dell 220W power brick
  • ThinkPad L440 (more below)

What didn't work (with either NVidia GTX560 or AMD R9 270):

• Hotplugging always resulted in either nothing happening or screen freeze (both in Win and Setup 1.30).
  • Pre-boot plug-in always (no matter what delay switches settings I used) always froze PC on POST (with exception below).
  • Pre-boot plug-in with everything (USB, camera, ...) disabled in BIOS worked well but the card didn't get recognized, ever.
  • NOTE: Both GPUs and the EXP GDC were fine.

What worked (a tale how I made it work):

• Apply DSDT override (its safer via setup 1.30 because you can always not boot using it and therefore load up original DSDT table)
    • It works for Windows 8.1
    • You can mount the .img file using eGPU-setup-mount.bat and then simply copy the .aml file to it.

[*]Prepare the setup (plug the GPU into Beast, wire up PSU, ...) but don't plug the ExpressCard in.

[*](Optional) Boot to setup 1.30 and do the DSDT file loading.

[*]Boot to Windows, log in, and put the laptop in sleep mode.

[*]Plug in the ExpressCard.

[*]Wake up notebook.

[*]Install drivers and play!

---

Lenovo L440: i7 4712MQ 4(8)*2.3 GHz; 8GB RAM, 180GB boot Intel SSD instead of optical drive, 14'' HD+ display, Windows 8.1 + Setup 1.3 + Ubuntu 14.04 (?).

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Hello Petroll. I have the same computer with the same specs. I am having trouble setting up the DSDT override. can u please lead me through? I would appreciate it a whole lot

I get an aml file that is about 64kb i dont know if i am doing the right thing. Please help. Thanks

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2015 at 2:33 PM, Petrroll said:

Currently having gen2 stability issues. Will provide the results as soon as I resolve those.

Did you ever get this figured out? Some people have said it may be because of the GDC Beast.