what typically gets fried on laptop with water damaage.

rb8720

My daughter spiller a small amount of water on my wife's laptop that was on and plugged in. When the wife grabbed it I saw the lights go out. No charging light no nothing. I have looks as best I could for damaged components but it's not that easy to find with such small low voltage components. Is there a way to run any test to determine what is fried. I have the equipment and skills to replace any of the surface mount components.

Also, would this type of accident typically destroy the processor as well? If I can fix, wondering if I can just by MB or will I likely have to buy both.

Thanks

RB8720

Hi! I guess in general there is no test that will tell you if ALL is well. After spilling water (or the likes) on a notebook I`d recommend to instantly unplug it and turn it off. If it allready is, do not put it on "just to test if it works" but keep it turned off and put it in the oven on a mild (40 degree) temperature and allow it to dry for some hours (days) according to the ammount of liquid you spilled on it.

Anyhow: If - like you stated - the notebook instantly dropped dead after your doughter spilled the water, there is a big chance that the notebook is damaged seriously. Perhaps you can save some parts (RAM) but in general there will be little chance to save only some parts ;-(

Good luck!

phila

I'm curious, after drying out did it ever power back on? Obviously a best case scenario would be that it's off when the water is spilled on it, but depending I've seen at least a few electronic devices survive an encounter with water (with care).

• 2 weeks later...