Please Help! Don't know what to do!

So, I got my m14x with the 2.2Ghz processor and 8GB of RAM and shortly after first running it I got a blue screen. So I re-installed to factory image and I got another one. After that I used the DVD to clean install windows and then installed drivers over top of that. It takes about 2 whole minutes to get from logon screen to even see the desktop, and often, ALL applications freeze including windows explorer + taskbar for 30+ seconds but the mouse still moves and then they just all come back.

What do I do!? :sad:

• Thumbs Up 1

do u see hdd activity when such a "freeze" happens?

what is your storage drive? ssd? hdd?

Storage drive is the 750GB 7200RPM and yeah there's always activity when it freezes, I'm pretty sure. Anyways, it just tried to do 75 updates, failed, rebooted, showed that it was undoing failed updates or whatever, rebooted, I installed all the updates by running windows update manually, and it's been running great for the first time ever since. I'll keep posted if it starts giving me trouble again....

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a question from my read of your problem, in rare instances the sensor that detects free fall's of your computer can cause blue screens on SSD. It may not be the case for you but be aware is all that I know that caused me a BSOD or two... i do realize you said you have the 7.2K 750gb drive but any ideas can help.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a question from my read of your problem, in rare instances the sensor that detects free fall's of your computer can cause blue screens on SSD. It may not be the case for you but be aware is all that I know that caused me a BSOD or two... i do realize you said you have the 7.2K 750gb drive but any ideas can help.

It does have the freefall sensor, I had to install the driver for it.

And that actually had crossed my mind. Because once when it froze up I tried to open an app and it said the file couldn't be found. It was acting as if the HDD had just disappeared. So maybe that is the case. I wonder if it will deactivate the sensor if I uninstall the driver for the accelerometer? In any case, it's running great at the moment. I just ran a 32-bit geekbench score of 8622 (haven't bought it yet so I can't run it in 64-bit)

EDIT:

Did some digging on the freefall sensor and found this "The Free Fall Sensor also seems to cause the laptop to wake to a black screen/blue screen from hibernation/sleep, by the way. So it's better to keep it disabled or uninstall the driver."

I had also experienced that. Disabling the freefall sensor now...

Edited by RioRyan
  • Thumbs Up 2

Glad there was some help from my post. I do exactly that I hit disable in device manager and leave the driver installed. I never allow sleep/hibernate.

here is what was posted at NBR. M17xR3 clean install SSD instructions and recommendations

"10) Disabled Freefall Sensor since you have an SSD. Open MSCONFIG and go to Start Up tab and uncheck "FF_Protection Application"." if you have Ccleaner you can simply uncheck this from your startup apps and is easily re-enabled the same way.

Edited by mw86

• 2 weeks later...
Glad there was some help from my post. I do exactly that I hit disable in device manager and leave the driver installed. I never allow sleep/hibernate.

here is what was posted at NBR. M17xR3 clean install SSD instructions and recommendations

"10) Disabled Freefall Sensor since you have an SSD. Open MSCONFIG and go to Start Up tab and uncheck "FF_Protection Application"." if you have Ccleaner you can simply uncheck this from your startup apps and is easily re-enabled the same way.

I will like to ad these, it seems it is possible to respow to a new smaller SDD driver

Avoid System Image Restore Failures

The error message "The system image restore failed. 0x80042403" will usually generate a large dialog box with several suggestions to resolve the problem, but Microsoft's syntax leaves even the most experienced technician confused. The solution is really quite simple: the destination drive is of a lower capacity than the image's source drive.

You will either need to provide a larger destination drive, or shrink the volume partitions prior to creating the restore image. clik avobe

Edited by Maitreya
  • Thumbs Up 1