Anyone think it is possible to get the 680m to work with Optimus in the R3?

Currently every successful story I have heard of a 680m in an R3 has been using the 120 HZ screen (so no Optimus) or switching to PEG only in the unlocked bios. I am wondering if anyone knows why Optimus does not work and if there is any possibility to get it working somehow.

Guest Alienware-Natalia_J
Currently every successful story I have heard of a 680m in an R3 has been using the 120 HZ screen (so no Optimus) or switching to PEG only in the unlocked bios. I am wondering if anyone knows why Optimus does not work and if there is any possibility to get it working somehow.

If your system has a 3D screen, it will not work because the integrated GPU is disabled automatically in the BIOS. You would need to replace the entire LCD in order to be able to use optimus.

If your system has a 3D screen, it will not work because the integrated GPU is disabled automatically in the BIOS. You would need to replace the entire LCD in order to be able to use optimus.

I know, what I am saying is that the only cases of people getting the 680m to work in the R3 that I have heard were either using changing to PEG in the unlocked bios or had the 120 hz screen. No one has ever reported getting a 680m in the R3 to work with Optimus. I am just wondering if anyone has any idea why or if it is just impossible at a basic level. I would like to put a 680m in my R3 that has a 60 hz screen and have Optimus.

I don't see why it shouldn't be possible, but apparently it doesn't work, and this could be for many reasons I guess, I'm not that familiar with optimus, and to be honest I don't like it. Switchable GPU is all you need, imo Optimus and Enduro only add another software layer which can cause serious issues.

I don't see why it shouldn't be possible, but apparently it doesn't work, and this could be for many reasons I guess, I'm not that familiar with optimus, and to be honest I don't like it. Switchable GPU is all you need, imo Optimus and Enduro only add another software layer which can cause serious issues.

Follow up question, is there anyway to make give the 680m the same FN+F7 switchable behavior that AMD cards can use? I have noticed in the unlocked bioses there are these settings for muxless switchable, muxed, etc. Could I set one of those in a way that would allow me to have switchable graphics with the 680m? I don't really require Optimus, I would just like to be able to go between integrated and discrete so I can get good battery life and I am trying to figure out the best solution to do that with a 680m in the R3.

I cant say for certain but yes both options exist... You have the ones for optimus and the switchable where you have to restart. Hard to say if you installed the driver for 580m from Dell and installed latest 680m driver on top if it would actually leave that switching function intact. What you can do is enter the bios and enable peg when you want discrete and Igfx when you want to save energy. You would then have intel or 680m but adds a step to the whole process and only if you use the unlocked bios to set the gpu to be used at boot.

So im not sure you can get muxless or muxed setup like original gpu but atleast with an unlocked bios you can use one or the other manually.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...
I cant say for certain but yes both options exist... You have the ones for optimus and the switchable where you have to restart. Hard to say if you installed the driver for 580m from Dell and installed latest 680m driver on top if it would actually leave that switching function intact. What you can do is enter the bios and enable peg when you want discrete and Igfx when you want to save energy. You would then have intel or 680m but adds a step to the whole process and only if you use the unlocked bios to set the gpu to be used at boot.

So im not sure you can get muxless or muxed setup like original gpu but atleast with an unlocked bios you can use one or the other manually.

I will probably just manually switch unless I can figure out how to get Optimus to work. Using the unlocked bios it is only a few keystrokes, all you have to change is the display adapter to either IGP or PEG and then hit F10 to save and go. Hopefully doing that won't murder my bios chip or something over the long term.

I will probably just manually switch unless I can figure out how to get Optimus to work. Using the unlocked bios it is only a few keystrokes, all you have to change is the display adapter to either IGP or PEG and then hit F10 to save and go. Hopefully doing that won't murder my bios chip or something over the long term.

I use that same method and i am pretty sure you wont have any issues arise from that method since it is bios based and all before an OS is even booted right as the system boots its already set to discrete or igpu so it should be no problem.

Hopefully doing that won't murder my bios chip or something over the long term.

Nope, it won't. The setup variables are stored in a non-volatile memory, also often refered as 'CMOS', which isn't the bios chip.

I would think the R3 is locked to the switchable graphics mode. Personally, I would not want to deal with Optimus or Enduro. I know Optimus works way better than Enduro, but I just prefer to manually switch GPUs when I need to and not have the OS decide for me without telling me.