M14X R1 from a hero to a Slug-Proplems-

Hello guys,

I've been reading here a lot and trying to find a solution to my problem with nothing yet.

My M14x specs are:

Intel® Core™ i7 2670QM 2.2GHz (3.1GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)

1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M

8GB DDR3 at 1600MHz Kingston HyperX

240GB SSD Kingston (6GB/s)

As I have noticed many other people here have cooling problems with there M14X but in my case the computer and the temperature were fine for months and then started to slow down and slow down over time 9 months from when I bought it this computer is useless sometimes

Here is the problem:

When I start the computer everything is great temps are in the low 60s for GPU and low 70s for CPU I lunch World of Warcraft I get around 120 to 90 FPS on high or 70 on ultra after around 20 minutes of play time it keeps slowing until I end up with around 14-8 FPS and GPU temp is at 98 while CPU temp is at 99 on all 4 cores some times it goes higher on both ends that the keyboard heats up, the SSD is stable at 41 but if I keep playing while cores at 99 it starts heating up to 50s, some times restarting the game helps a little mostly not however if I wait for 10 minutes and play again the game will work again. my fan seems to be working so I don't know what to do I tried to check fan speeds and meh that was a failure my computer is not very usable now for its only purpose and I'm not sure what to do next I did all sorts of updates and changes I'm also considering calling dell or maybe changing the thermal paste my self, was also considering trying to design a water cooling system for it in like a station when I'm not travelling with it as I do with my desktop but I think then I'm better of selling it frown.png this problem has been taking a lot of my time and causing me a lot of stress.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

M14x R1 is an epic fail in thermal design. Let Dell try to repair it 3 times then ask for a replacement M14x R2 cause the heat and throttling problems cant be solved. Best advise i can give you. Even with repasting it still throttles cause of heat. If you dont want to go thru the Dell services - turn off turbo and let it repaste then it should be nearly ok for WOW at least.

Guest Alienware-L_Porras

Actually there are some things that you can try to fix the issue. Here is an article about this.

You can try:

Repasting with a better thermal grease.

Using a laptop cooling pad. (I use the H3D Gaming Cooling Pad from Targus)

Use the computer on a clean wooden desk and not on the laps or bed.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think theres an aftermarket fan solution at all. I tried getting a replacement, but couldn't. Warranty expires in a week. Replacing the thermal paste for me didn't help too much, but maybe the application wasn't too good.

Guest Alienware-Natalia_J
I don't think theres an aftermarket fan solution at all. I tried getting a replacement, but couldn't. Warranty expires in a week. Replacing the thermal paste for me didn't help too much, but maybe the application wasn't too good.

Hey if you are experiencing overheating issues even after repasting and cleaning the fans, send us an e-mail to [email protected] with your service tag and contact information. Include the link to this thread, a brief explanation of the issue that you are having and my name. We will get back to you as soon as possible.