Custom M17-r3 Inap Edition.

• Founder
It wouldn't work cuz of the circuit board + command center doesn't have the alien head color as a configuration option.

You could preconfigure the alienhead with a different color and then swap it since the command center all it does is to write to the firmware of the device but then you would be stuck with it...

Another thought is that you could experiment with the XML file and change it manually.. (there is a chance they disabled the option from within GUI but not from the program itself)

• Thumbs Up 1

You could preconfigure the alienhead with a different color and then swap it since the command center all it does is to write to the firmware of the device but then you would be stuck with it...

Another thought is that you could experiment with the XML file and change it manually.. (there is a chance they disabled the option from within GUI but not from the program itself)

That would be very interesting and not hard to look into.

the reason for suggesting a film is that (unfortunately for good old fashioned led customization) lighting for the logo (alien head) comes from the wled itself...

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder
the reason for suggesting a film is that (unfortunately for good old fashioned led customization) lighting for the logo (alien head) comes from the wled itself...

wait, you say that there are no separate white LEDs behind the alien head? It just uses the backlit of the screen?

wait, you say that there are no separate white LEDs behind the alien head? It just uses the backlit of the screen?

the design is in keeping with the other newer models M11x R1/R2 (also forthcoming M11x R3, M14x R1, & M18x R1), it only uses the backlighting of the wled for illumination, hence only white for the lid logo (alien head)...

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder

LMAO, if that's not a ghetto mod, I don't know what it is... Ι guess the next step would be to replace the backlit keyboard with some fluorescent paint... (you will keep the lamp on top of it for a few min and then keys will glow in the dark...)

the design is in keeping with the other newer models M11x R1/R2 (also forthcoming M11x R3, M14x R1, & M18x R1), it only uses the backlighting of the wled for illumination, hence only white for the lid logo (alien head)...

Awww, didn't know this. Really a bad move from Dellienware, it probably saves them some bucks. If it was a LED a little mod with a solder iron and a single colored SMD LED should've been possible... but in this case the only option will probably the already mentioned foil mod, like for the Asus G73 series keyboard.

The mod to get the Alienware logo the same color as the Alienware name on below the screen should not be hard at all and I am sure it would require an RGB LED and three wires and that's it. It could be connected directly to the RGB LED Dell uses for the Alienware name below the screen and a thin wiring could be run into the Alien Head Logo.

If I have time I will look into it.

Cool. Thanks for the info! Already started my own project on my R2 and I finished replacing the keys on the keyboard with the more stealthier ones from the Area-51 M17x (the original ones stand out too much while these keys go well with the black palmrest of the R2 as as well as the lighting being crisper too!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well this all started when my Enter key broke off. Luckily, I had a keyboard from an Area-51 M17x from a project I wanted to start about 2 years ago. However, the mounting of the Area 51 keyboard didn't fit in the R2 and it didn't have the built-in lighting. So, I simply plucked the enter key from the Area 51 keyboard and replaced it in my R2. I noticed that the new Enter key was significantly darker than the rest of the keys, but the tone in the key's inscription kinda matched the light tube on the touchpad when it's not lit up. So eventually, I started pulling off keys from my R2 on purpose and replaced them with the A-51 keys. The Esc and Alt key from the A-51 was damaged while I was doing this and couldn't mount on. So I ordered another A-51 keyboard to finish it up. Surprisingly, all the keys and inscriptions match up with the R2 keys with the exception of the F6, F7 and F8 keys. In the R2, F6 showed a picture of a TV screen, F7 read "GFX" (probably for gfx switching) and F8 didn't read anything. The A-51 set had the F6 key read "HDMI/LCD" (which is probably better than the R2's TV screen), F7 was blank (again, better since the R2 has no integrated graphics) and F8 is the eject button (Fn+F8 doesn't eject the CD in the R2).

That being said, I don't have a before and after picture and the camera on my phone sucks but here are the pics.

20110421223959566.th.jpg

20110421223931783.th.jpg

It doesn't look like anything is changed, but below is the difference in "whiteness" of the original R2 keyboard and the one from the first M17x (Area-51). I plucked out the Esc key, the minus key and the 5 and 8 key on the number pad from the R2 and placed them on top of another Area 51 M17x keyboard I bought and it's easy to see how much darker the Area 51 Keys are:

20110421223943128.th.jpg

I also noticed that the R2 keys are outlined with white, while the Area-51 keys aren't outlined at all; the inscriptions are see through rather than written over in white. Because of this, the Area 51 keys are a bit brighter than the R2 keys when lit up (which is shown below).

20110421224317312.th.jpg

IMO, the system looks better WITHOUT the lighting now with this transplant; more stealthier look in person. Next up is getting a powder-coated M17x lid and base painted and coated with a rubber finish. I don't know what color to use though :/

• Founder

Interesting, better without the lighting? hmmm

Yeah the colors are pretty much subjective... tastes and opinions will vary here... when it comes to colors I am very weird... I would rather describe myself as very conservative.

I believe I found the right RGB LED so I will try it out in the next few weeks.

I ordered a 5050 RGB LED from superbrightled. I don't see why this would not work if plugged correctly. The only thing I am worried about is that the color would not be exactly the same but at least there would be color.

I checked over the weekend and making the slim LED fit should be fine.

Edited by Joebarchuck