Sign in to follow this  
zepvalue

W540 + gtx 970 + suggestion for psu and setup

Hello guys,

Thanks for this incredible forum, I hope I will learn a lot from the gurus ! 

I am trying to make my eGpu MSI GT X970 work on my laptop   with K1100M integrated GPU. 

This are my specs:

• CPU: 2.7GHz Intel Core i7-4800MQ (quad-core, 6MB cache, up to 3.7GHz with Turbo Boost)
  • PSU : ???
  • Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K1100M / Intel HD Graphics 4600
  • RAM: 32 GB
  • Storage: 1TB

I got a V8.0 EXP GDC Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock  with the express card version ( I am not really hw savy) and I am looking for a good psu to power my MSI GTX 970 4G

Could you kindly suggest a good PSU that i could use to power this GPU ? I am also willing to do as many experiments needed

Thanks for reading my post

-zepvalue

Edited by zepvalue

xbox360 PSU 16amp , cheap, simple, neat, easy to adapt

Edited by misiozol

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Sparkhunter
      Hi there guys,

I've been looking into getting a new GPU for my laptop (4-lane PCI-e) and enclosure (HP Omen Enclosure) but I cannot decided between the RX 5700 XT and the RTX 2070 (non SUPER).

I did some price to performance calculations (higher is better) with some of the best prices I can currently get in the UK.

The RX 5700 XT does perform better and is cheaper than the RTX 2070 (Although the 2070 does come with 2 games) but my main concern is drivers and from what I've heard NVIDIA cards work a lot better with eGPUs than AMD.

If anyone has experience using both red & green or if anyone else has any other input i'd love to hear your experiences and input.

Thanks.

• By Solaire
      Hello everyone,
      some time by now I flashed a custom Vbios (thank you Klem) on an Acer Predator 15 G9-591 and I started doing some tests about how far I could go overclocking the gtx 970m without running too hot. With the voltage up to 1150mV and something like 300 additional MHz for the core clock, in the strongest stress condition for both Gpu and Cpu ( i7-6700hq undervolted), the Gpu reaches a max temp of 85C (with some 86 spikes but never more than that).
      Considering that soon I'm going to relid both Cpu and Gpu and clean everything in the internals (laptop is 4 years old) I think I'm going to have some additional heatroom.
      I've already tested some further overclocking and I noticed that even if the temperatures remains under 93C (which is just for testing purposes, but after relidding temps could be nicer) graphical glitches occur and after some time most games crash. But my question is, could it be because of lack of power supply? The laptop charger provides 180W 
      Could there be an increase in overclock margins with a 230W psu or something like that? (Obviously with the same 19.5V output)
      If anybody tried something like that on any laptop model, or knows the matter, I'd like to know
    • By Blocker35
      Hi guys, bit of a rookie to the whole EGPU scene. Currently I have:

- MacBook Pro 2015 13inch (3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM)
      - Razer X Core 
      - Apple TB3 to TB2 Adapter
      -  TB2 Cable (Cable Matters)
      - 23inch AOC External Monitor

I am wonder about what graphics card to get to run X-Plane11 with high graphic settings?
      I have purgewrangler set up and ready to use with an AMD graphics card, but am also open to the idea of an Nvidia graphics card.
      Any advice appreciated. I did not buy a Windows PC as I need a Mac for various other things and wanted an all-in-one laptop.
    • By BAKED
      Hey y'all! I'm planning on releasing BIOS mods for the newer MSI laptops.
      So I'm looking for some testers to evaluate my mods and give input.
      If you're interested just PM me and we'll take it from there 
    • By BAKED
      There are several threads on requesting BIOS modifications here on T | I but I thought another one wouldn't hurt.

Your request should look like:
      Brand Model Type of modification(For example: Unlocked, added support, Logo, microcode, ME firmware etc  
      I'll respond as soon as I have time as I'm also currently working on other projects(Requests by PM is also ok)
      If anyone else have the knowledge and time feel free to respond to requests 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.