ikir

2014 Mac Mini + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OSX10.11 (single power mod) [ikir]

Hi all! Still work in progress, i will publish photos soon.

Mac mini 2014 - i5 2,8Ghz

16GB RAM

512GB PCIe blade SSD

960GB SanDisk Ultra2 SSD sata3

Just a quick benchmark for show you 15x increase performance!!!

Valley 4K high 2x

iris 5100 integrated: fps 1.9 score 78

Nvidia GTX 970 AKitio: fps 32.4 score 1357

updste: selling it at 550€!

macmini2014_nvidiagtx970.png

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2249.JPG

final result!

Edited by ikir
photos added!
  • Thumbs Up 3

@lucas979797 Yes, do you still need it? It runs in 4K on a LG UltraWide. 2xAA?

And finally photos of my implementation (did with a friend of mine who is a super expert)

Just one plug for power, a frontal fan and connected the PCIe power with one cable

The box works ok closed thank to a new 1cm fan in the front of the box. Anyway its get too hot so i'm planning to put bigger fan in the gfx card and makes big holes in the chassis.

Edited by ikir

Akitio seems to be working on a eGPU

Edited by ikir

Final result! (not true!)

IMG_2075.jpg

Edited by ikir

Can you provide more details about how the 'single power plug' is setup as shown in the second photo of the Akito?

From the ATX plug the Dell-AC2 power the graphics card, the frontal fan and also the Akitio box. Soldering is needed, we removed the barrel and powered the akitio motherboard directly

Edited by ikir

Now running with 10.12 beta and Nvidia beta drivers! Everything is super!!!

Added final setup photo (protected the ventilation holes)!

Edited by ikir

If anyone is interested i'm selling my beloved eGPU for 650€

One cable for power, all inside AKitio, modded 970 4GB.

10 hours ago, ikir said:

If anyone is interested i'm selling my beloved eGPU for 650€

One cable for power, all inside AKitio, modded 970 4GB.

How is easy is to to replace the 970 with a newer/better GFX card when the time comes to upgrade?

Hi! But it not so easy because i modify the powerplug pciexpress to be lateral. So with a newer card you should solder the pic power plugs like the second image. Very easy. The only card would fit this would be 1060 :)

Added thermal sensor for silencing the frontal fan when the card is cold. it will start to blow hot air away when app are demanding gfx power.

Edited by ikir

Just curious, eGPU only or whole kit and kaboodle?

Kaboodle?

price is for Akitio Mod + GPU + PSU

Hello, I come from China. my egpu GTX660 + 2015  15 "is MBP Iris. My OS is 10.11.6 my video card driver doesn't under MAC osx, but modified file has been identified is GTX660 2 gb. Graphics display is connected HDMI but no response,  could you tell me what to do. Very afflictive recently. Thank you very much

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Brian
      Well that didn't take long for NVIDIA to respond to Navi. The new 436.02 Game Ready Driver adds the following features:

Game Ready
      Provides increased performance and the optimal gaming experience for Apex Legends, Battlefield V, Forza Horizon 4, Strange Brigade, and World War Z
      Gaming Technology
      Adds Beta support for GPU Integer Scaling Adds Beta support for Ultra-Low Latency Mode Adds support for new Freestyle Sharpen Filter Adds support for new G-SYNC compatible monitors Driver release notes: https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/436.02/436.02-win10-win8-win7-release-notes.pdf

This isn't the old max pre-rendered frames setting, its supposedly a new improved algorithm that matches AMDs anti-lag feature for Navi.

Next up is support for integer scaling which Intel recently announced but it seems NVIDIA beat everyone to the punch. Unfortunately, this is only for Turing for now:

Additionally NVIDIA has created a new filter for FreeStyle simply called "Sharpen" which improves performance and visual clarity that is supposed to be on par with RSI but with much broader support and granular adjustment. According to Eurogamer, "They also point out that the amount of sharpening can be adjusted from 0 to 100 per cent, applied on a per-game basis and works with games across all major graphics APIs: DX9, DX11, DX12 and Vulkan".

Finally, the driver brings with it some game performance improvement, including very popular titles like Apex Legends which sees up to 23% boost at 1080p:

Overall a pretty solid release, it had some issues earlier when it was released with GeForce Experience being force installed but it should be remedied by now.

View full article
    • By Brian
      Well that didn't take long for NVIDIA to respond to Navi. The new 436.02 Game Ready Driver adds the following features:

Game Ready
      Provides increased performance and the optimal gaming experience for Apex Legends, Battlefield V, Forza Horizon 4, Strange Brigade, and World War Z
      Gaming Technology
      Adds Beta support for GPU Integer Scaling Adds Beta support for Ultra-Low Latency Mode Adds support for new Freestyle Sharpen Filter Adds support for new G-SYNC compatible monitors Driver release notes: https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/436.02/436.02-win10-win8-win7-release-notes.pdf

This isn't the old max pre-rendered frames setting, its supposedly a new improved algorithm that matches AMDs anti-lag feature for Navi.

Next up is support for integer scaling which Intel recently announced but it seems NVIDIA beat everyone to the punch. Unfortunately, this is only for Turing for now:

Additionally NVIDIA has created a new filter for FreeStyle simply called "Sharpen" which improves performance and visual clarity that is supposed to be on par with RSI but with much broader support and granular adjustment. According to Eurogamer, "They also point out that the amount of sharpening can be adjusted from 0 to 100 per cent, applied on a per-game basis and works with games across all major graphics APIs: DX9, DX11, DX12 and Vulkan".

Finally, the driver brings with it some game performance improvement, including very popular titles like Apex Legends which sees up to 23% boost at 1080p:

Overall a pretty solid release, it had some issues earlier when it was released with GeForce Experience being force installed but it should be remedied by now.
    • By Brian
      Following the release of NVIDIAs new 436.02 driver which I mentioned in an earlier article here, I've decided to make a quick and dirty video showing off NVIDIAs new Sharpen filter which is part of their Game Filter feature. It works with the most popular APIs including DX 9, 11, 12 and Vulkan and can be set on a per-game basis with granular settings of 0-100 unlike AMDs RIS which is limited to Navi and lacks DX 11 support.

View full article
    • By Brian
      Following the release of NVIDIAs new 436.02 driver which I mentioned in an earlier article here, I've decided to make a quick and dirty video showing off NVIDIAs new Sharpen filter which is part of their Game Filter feature. It works with the most popular APIs including DX 9, 11, 12 and Vulkan and can be set on a per-game basis with granular settings of 0-100 unlike AMDs RIS which is limited to Navi and lacks DX 11 support.

• By Brian

View full article

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.