GPU Woes

Spellbound

I've had my new machine for about 2 months now and I've encountered a problem with the GPU.

In two situations now I have found my GPU to downclock and stick at 540Mhz.

Firstly when starting Blade & Soul (Every time, even with 1Mhz OC) and secondly randomly happened during Dark Souls just 20mins ago.

I can run Black Ops 3/KF2/GTA V all day long while OC'd yet I've had this random bug show in these 2 games and only just recently.

Also Unigine Heaven Benchmark happily sits there looping with my OC at a happy 59/60C (On Auto fans:rofl:)

Could anyone shed some light on this issue?

Details:
Windows 10

GTX 970M
359.00 drivers

Stock vBIOS

+135Mhz OC on core

No OC on vRAM

No extra voltage added

Adding +25mV voltage does not remedy the issue

Even 1Mhz OC triggers this on Blade & Soul while loading (almost zero load on GPU)

Edited by Spellbound

42 minutes ago, Expertize said:

Hmm thats odd. If you haven't already, have you gone into the nvidia control panel and force the game profiles to maximum performance?

Yes I have done that. I have also tried cleaning drivers with DDU and reinstalling.

3 hours ago, Expertize said:

Thats really odd since i also have a 970m on 359 drivers and im able to play bns with maxed settings and it doesnt do the downclocking.

Have you tried to overclock?

I would love to have you test it for me. Even on a 1Mhz OC it does it.

The downclock happens around where the ToS pops up before you enter the game.

If I don't overclock it runs 100% fine. Any OC it enters P1 state.

Would love to hear your results with an overclock since we have the same GPU!

Edited by Spellbound

Oh yeah sure I can. Usually don't overclock on nondemanding games cause I can run bns at full settings without needing to. I usually just over clock on far cry 4 or assassins creed. But I will do when I get home from school today

2 hours ago, Expertize said:

Oh yeah sure I can. Usually don't overclock on nondemanding games cause I can run bns at full settings without needing to. I usually just over clock on far cry 4 or assassins creed. But I will do when I get home from school today

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Note: If it does downclock for you too. You have to disable the GPU in device manager and enable once again OR restart your computer to restore full functionality of the GPU.

22 minutes ago, Expertize said:

I just got home and tested it.... You're absolutely right about it downclocking to 540mhz. Thats really weird

I wonder what the underlying cause of the issue is.

Perhaps also list your system specs including driver version and whether you are on stock or modded vBIOS.

More data is always handy :)

Oh. I wanted to run prema mod but I have the Sager NP8657 (P650RE3) but he doesnt have the skylake versions yet. Only the earlier models sadly. But yeah my specs are pretty similar to yours only that i have the mobile version of the i7