Request for testing - Alienware owners

StamatisX

• Founder

I would like a volunteer who owns an Alienware with a second generation Intel i7, ie 2630QM, 2720QM, 2820QM,2920QM to run a test for me.

Download prime95 from here

Download ThrottleStop 3.20 from here

You must be on battery so unplug the laptop from AC.

1) Open ThrottleStop and run Prime95 for a single thread

2) After a minute take a screenshot that shows Prime95 and ThrottleStop

Thanks!

Thanks StamatisX. mw86 has done some testing for me and the initial results are not good. Dell is doing some significant throttling of the M18x when running on battery power. His 2920XM is being limited to only 12W when running on battery power which decreases performance significantly. As the load tries to go up, the throttling increases. The other thing is that some of this throttling appears to have been implemented so some monitoring software might not catch it. The first thread has clock modulation set at the correct 100.0% value while the other 7 threads are being throttled down to only 62.5% on top of the multiplier reductions. I thought Dell had learned that users were fed up with this but I guess not.

The good news is that ThrottleStop is able to eliminate this throttling. mw86's testing is looking very interesting so far. I'll post some pics to show what's going on later tonight I hope.