M14X - Mainboard Pictures

n3ocort3x

Ok as promised here the pictures from the M14X Mainboard.

2 things to say:

- My girlfriend got the good lens with her so I have to take the pictures with a middle range lens (unsharp @ edges)

- Someone put the iso value up to 1200, so the pictures are a little bit noisy. I saw it to late as I edited them in Photoshop and the M14X was assembled again

If anyone needs pictures from a dedicated area --> tell me... I disasemble again when I have the good lens back because I want to have "perfect" pictures.

The process took me about 2 hours but now I know how to do and i´m sure it is possible to disassemble the whole machine in half an hour. So its no problem to do it again

Here we go:

cpu_gpu_forumw8u0.jpg cpu_ram_forumsk0e.jpg pano_back_forum4kfr.jpg pano_front_forum3ui9.jpg

From left to right:

CPU and GPU

CPU and RAM Socket

3 Shots, edited to 1 large image, frontside

4 Shots, edited to 1 large image, backside

If someone needs the untaged pictures, feel free to pm me.

Edited by n3ocort3x
  • Thumbs Up 4

I just want to say that I replaced the Thermal Compund as I disassembled the M14X... on both GPU and CPU.

Before i got 80 degrees in 3DMark11 on CPU and 75 degrees on GPU (after 4 runs) . Now slightly hit 70 Degrees on CPU and 60 - 62 Degrees on GPU (after 4 runs). Prime95 small FFT results in 70 - 72 Degrees on CPU. So this replacement gave me a huge cooling plus. As a patriot, I used NOCTUA thermal compound from austria... xD

I think the main problem is that the thermal compund was everywhere. On the CPU, beside the CPU, on the heatsink... and too much... now there are 2 little drops on cpu an

gpu and its much better...

Tempreatures measured in the 4th run with REAL TEMP, GPU-Z logfile, CORE TEMP, DESKTOP WIDGET (Logfile)

Edited by n3ocort3x

Thanks for the pics! In case you disassemble it again sometime, can you check the two ICs which I marked in the attached pic? One of them is probably the BIOS chip, unless there are more of such chips with the same size and pin count. They're probably SST chips, would be great to know the nr., I can't make it out on the pic, too noisy.

post-80-1449498852626_thumb.jpg

The left one is a WINBOND-25Q64BVSIG (Serial Flash). I looked at the single pictures and do some image editing so that it was able to read.... hard... but with photoshop and some tricks it worked... xD

For the right... that will cost me a) some hours in photoshop or B) 10 minutes tomorow to disassemble the keyboard (not the whole machine)... The chip is located @ a good position...

so i choose b... xD

Hope it will help ya...

Edited by n3ocort3x
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks a lot for checking!! That's huge, a 64Mbit chip... on the M15x it's a 16Mbit chip. I should be able to flash them with my programmer, that's great to know. So I could theoretically revive a system after a bad flash, I'd only need some 64Mbit chips, I only have 16Mbits laying around atm, and they won't work, the BIOS file is bigger than 4MB.