Tech|Inferno's first in-house Alienware M17x-R3 Review!

Brian

Mine is coming tomorrow, so I'll give you as many of my thoughts as possible ;) I will be comparing it to my old hp dv2610us (dated nov. 2007), the Dell Vostro 3400 I use at work (which was purchased late 2010), and compared to the G73 I was messing with at BestBuy.

You can also follow my rant and chatter on NBR too, if I forget to post here :)

the only problem i have so far is the media buttons separating other then that the system has been great. no paint peeling or anything, and i think i have been pretty rough with it. but i only had it for 2 weeks or so but i'm a happy camper.

• Founder

Review is in progress, benchmarks being done but it's going to take a few days to run through them all on both systems (R2 + R3). After that, write-up completion + editing and we'll publish. Here's a sound test video, not the one that will be published in the review but just one I made for local testing:

• Founder
looking forward to it! :D

(btw, carolina liar - nice touch!~ ;))

Working on a slew of benchmarks today. Got Crossfire up and running on my 2nd R2 finally (one of it's cards had become bricked from a bad vbios flash) so now when I amend the review (I can't add it for the review now) I'll add on 720qm + 5870m xfire benchmark results. And yeah that song is awesome. :)

• Founder

One more teaser, a benchmark run I did of Crysis 2 today but this particular run won't be in the review but you will see similar results:

post-5-14494987712984_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Having had both the R3 and R2, Brian, can you tell me which provides better MINIMUM gaming performance from the games you benched? Someone is asking to trade str8 up my R2 for their R3. My R2 is 920xm and CF 5870 and their R3 is the midrange 2730(not sure the new number scheme) and 6970. My gut would think that the second GPU would really help minimum FPS more than the max FPS, but could be completely wrong. That ultimately would be my deciding factor. Would be a nice mention in the review as well as a lot of people do look for minimum FPS as opposed to running 100 Vs 120.

• Founder

Your R2 will outperform that R3 in every game. Minimum fps will be higher as well as average and max although there's a few games here and there that might do better on the 6970M, especially DX11 ones. The R3 review missed out on some critical aspects I wanted to discuss because I had to sell it quickly thinking the M18x was coming today..damn Dell. But once we finish up the remaining R2 benchmarks, expect the full review very soon. We've just been extremely busy and it's taken a lot longer than we would have wanted.

Great stuff takes time Brian. Like your review of the R3 and the release of the M18x. To compare R3 (6970m) and R2 (5870M X2) the, 5870M X2 has about 1 1/2 times the performance. So a 5870M compared to a 6970M, the 6970M is probably about 1 1/3 times the performance. So let's compare the 5870M X2 to the 6970M X2, the 6970M X2 would have about 1 1/3 more performance. This is largely from the fact the 5870M X2's total memory bandwidth is equal to the memory bandwidth of the 6970M. So yes 6970M X2 has double the memory bandwidth of 5870M X2 it's scary at 320GB compared to 160GB of the 5870M X2. The clocks are a little lower on the stock 6970M compared to the 5870M's. Yet that doesn't stop it from getting about 1/3 more performance in bench's. All my comparing is not based on anything specific but just a basic observation of these cards stock in benches. So if you gave a number to show the performance difference it really easy to see the differences. 5870M 7.5, 6970M 10, 5870M X2 15, 6970M X2 20.

Yeah most of the delay is because of me, but hopefully I will do my part of the review soon so Brian can eventually post it....

Like I said great stuff takes time, we'd all rather something you considered to be an accurate review then to rush and not be true to your own beliefs.09.gif