Some questions about different RAM & how it affects overclocking and benching

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to RAM sticks, so some of you might be able to answer me some questions.

At the moment I still have the stock RAM in my M15x, 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz, CL9

Would I see a difference in CPU benchmarks if I used CL7 memory? If yes, how big would this difference approximately be?

I was thinking about upgrading to 8GB RAM, I've done some CAD and other memory demanding stuff recently, and a couple more GB could come in handy, especially when there are more programs running in the background.

Are there any CL7 2x4GB 1333MHz kits (SODIMM of course)? Or 1600MHz, afaik it would automatically downclock to 1333 in my machine.

And last but not least, any good recommendation for RAM that performs well and stable when overclocked (BCLK raised)?

• Founder

This is how the memory performed on my benchmarking Windows partition

post-3-14494988342918_thumb.png

and this is how the memory performs on my normal Windows installation for everyday usage

post-3-14494988343219_thumb.jpg

so you can compare your CL9 memory with those two.

In benchmarks going from CL9 to CL7 you will see about 3% difference but in real life you won't be able to notice anything.

About the 2x4GB and CL7 I haven't found anything so far, only the 2x2GB.

HyperX is working fine for me so far and overclocks well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think so. I haven't seen any 4GB CL7 modules so far, I think they don't exist yet. But I might pick up some second-hand 2x2GB CL7 just for benching and squeezing numbers :D

Seen some 2x2GB CL7 on NBR for $50, regarding the dollar price it would be a decent deal for me, I only need to check whether the seller will ship to Switzerland.

Can we set our hyperx 1600mhz 9 9 9 27 to lower timings without problems, if so what the usual procedure? Theres a lot of options for timings on the M18x