Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

NVIDIA *ALWAYS* gimps their drivers. Their driver team is the nazi's of the internet. No joke. It started with SLi years ago when only "compatible" motherboards could use SLi until someone cracked the driver and got SLi working on non certified boards. After someone proved that magically the next generation of boards ALL supported SLi. Amazing!

NVIDIA *ALWAYS* gimps their drivers. Their driver team is the nazi's of the internet. No joke. It started with SLi years ago when only "compatible" motherboards could use SLi until someone cracked the driver and got SLi working on non certified boards. After someone proved that magically the next generation of boards ALL supported SLi. Amazing!

Check this http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-114.html#post119505

The card I ordered from hidevolution says 1 year warranty. So the 3 day DOA shouldn't really matter right.?

If card quits working after a week it should still be under warranty. Or if I don't get a chance to check the card until like 4 days after it arives and it's dead warranty should cover it right.?

I'm gonna go read there warranty all the way through and see.

maybe it's really the time to move on :/

i wished for two things in new aw series. a pcie 3.0 x4 m.2 slot, and usb 3.1 support, then the rest should be at least the same. none of those were included, plus cpu/gpu soldered, and ram slots reduced. the new m.2 slots are all sata-based.

it's just sad.

• Thumbs Up 3

Uninstall drivers DDU/Clean & Shutdown option, Install v344.75 (Performance) from here

@BillyXq

Test first Dedicated then Optimus, set windows power options 'High Performance', Visual effects to High Performance (System properties/performance options) NVCPL Power Management mode 'Prefer maximum performance' Texture quality 'High Performance', Manage 3D settings -> 3DMark -> Single display 'P mode' -> P. refresh rate 'application controlled' Vertical Sync 'Off', post results.

@J95 for some reason, 344.91 in dedicated gave me the best result possible. I Checked with other benchmarks that several other members with AW 17 including eurocom's AW 17 benchmark and apparently my scores are more or less the same as them. Looks like 980m in AW 17 is in a way slightly gimped compared to other laptops.

• Thumbs Up 1

makes me wonder if it's worth the money to buy the card!

edit: i could probably order it next week if i want to take my chances [emoji14]

It's a tough decision.

Buy card hope it works decent without to much trouble. $1000.

Buy new rig with 980m . $2000-$2500.

If card works ok you save $1000-$1500.

It's a tough decision.

Buy card hope it works decent without to much trouble. $1000.

Buy new rig with 980m . $2000-$2500.

If card works ok you save $1000-$1500.

if i'd bought a clevo and sold the alienware i would make a least $1200 - $1500 out of it so it would even out.

anyway, i would take a chance once you get yours and we'll see what you get in terms of benchmark scores.

when is it supposed to arrive?

At this rate i might stick around with this 980m for abit before jumping ship to either clevo or desktops

I really like my alienware 17. It seams like such a wast to sell it for something else so soon. I've had it a little over a year but it seams like I just bought latst month .

I really like my alienware 17. It seams like such a wast to sell it for something else so soon. I've had it a little over a year but it seams like I just bought latst month .

same, i haven't had mine for a year and so far it has been doing its job like a good little computer :D

anyway, i hope it works out for player2!

you should get it by this week anyway and you being away and not able to collect makes it even worse....damn the wait!

Just checked fed x tracking and it's already in transit. Should be at my house tommorrow by end of day . I've never ordered anything in my entire life and had it delivered so darn fast. From 10:00 this morning to my house by tommorrow.

there will be someone there to sign for it. But I won't be there until friday at 5:00.lol

Just checked fed x tracking and it's already in transit. Should be at my house tommorrow by end of day . I've never ordered anything in my entire life and had it delivered so darn fast. From 10:00 this morning to my house by tommorrow.

there will be someone there to sign for it. But I won't be there until friday at 5:00.lol

oh man you're killin' me here LOL

interesting that an AW17 R1 with a 980m is scoring lower than a GT72 Dominator by nearly 600 points in 3Dmark11's overall score not to mention a 700 point gap between the two in GPU score....maybe it has to do with the CPU being an MQ in the AW17 while it's an HQ in the GT72????

so long as i get one before GTAV and evolve i think it will be all good :D

@J95 for some reason, 344.91 in dedicated gave me the best result possible. I Checked with other benchmarks that several other members with AW 17 including eurocom's AW 17 benchmark and apparently my scores are more or less the same as them. Looks like 980m in AW 17 is in a way slightly gimped compared to other laptops.

It seems to be the case...Updated all to v(1) due to v2 issues GeForce 344.91 OEM (Clevo) - INF MOD AW 17" & 18" GTX 980M & 970M

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I figured it was M17x.

Well he have posted many pictures in the thread as well as Assassin Creed benchmark/gamplay, so his 980M upgrade is indeed legit :)

The day Alienware use soldered GPUs AND CPUs, they will be dead to me.

The Clevo MXM 780M got another chip on the PCB than Dell 780M?

Peter from Notebookreview said he may try the unlocked BIOS today and try

Aw m18x R2 Dual 980m SLI upgrade!! - Page 3

So they are dead to you now, right? :P